Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Cromath................you are correct. It's a 15. I've posted a lot lately. I've already bought the filter, so I will go ahead and change it, but I'll wait until after I do the 3 flushes. I'll assume the flushes can just be typical atf as I've seen in this thread? I've got honda atf.

Thanks!
here's the video from MrRanger on how to change it.

I did mine this past summer, took about an hour taking my time.
use a dealer part, its not much more than aftermarket.

·
Registered
54 Posts
here's the video from MrRanger on how to change it.

I did mine this past summer, took about an hour taking my time.
use a dealer part, its not much more than aftermarket.
Yep, this is the video I watched. Not that 1 bolt matters on a job like this, but do you think that back bolt actually has to come out? Seems to me it could stay.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Yep, this is the video I watched. Not that 1 bolt matters on a job like this, but do you think that back bolt actually has to come out? Seems to me it could stay.
I followed it to the letter, the filter is tightly fitted into the bracket, and much easier to work on when its off and out of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
MrRanger knows best...

I was never able to determine what the filter media in the stock ATF filter was made of.
cellulose, fiberglass or composite.

I would expect over 200k miles that material from the media would start breaking down and discharging fragments into the system.

have witnessed the case with cellulose engine oil filters, saw an engine ruined by a filter that disintegrated.
an extreme case of a badly neglected motor, customer added oil but never changed the filter.
The filter breakdown was what took it out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In general yes. But it's important to know whether you are doing this as maintenance or a repair.

If you're doing some basic preventive maintenance and you're doing the work yourself, the best way to maximize the bang for your buck is to leave the fresh load of ATF in the transmission for a decent spell (like at least a few hundred miles worth of varied driving, however long that takes you - in my case, I can get that done in about a week or two). Then do another drain-and-fill and repeat the process.

The downside to this is obviously time - it'll take you a month to do three drain-and-fills. But the upside is that your transmission internals get much cleaner because you're giving the new fluid a chance to do some work for you. You aren't dumping brand new ATF into the recycling barrel immediately after you put it in.

This advice doesn't apply is if you are in a repair situation and the need to replace all the ATF is urgent, like if the wrong fluid was put in or if the old fluid has been truly neglected for too long (it's black or burnt and the transmission is not shifting properly). Or if your SO won't be understanding about why you're under the van again mere weeks after the last time you were under the van. ;) Then doing everything in a single day is the best way to go.
Sorry, one final question. Above you say a few hundred miles. If I were to change the fluid tomorrow and head out on a 700 mile round trip drive is that too far for first flush?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,186 Posts
Sorry, one final question. Above you say a few hundred miles. If I were to change the fluid tomorrow and head out on a 700 mile round trip drive is that too far for first flush?
No - not at all! That would be great as far as getting some cleaning done inside your transmission.

The few hundred miles suggestion is where I find a good balance between cost effectiveness and getting stuff checked off my never-ending to-do list. But if you can bang out 700 miles conveniently and then keep going with your drain-and-fills, you are really doing a respectable job of not pouring money down the drain. And that's really what the long interval between D&Fs is all about - bang for the buck.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts