Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Compustar CS4905S Remote Start kit on 2015 Odyssey EX-L

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DerbyDad03 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I own 2015 Odyssey EX-L and looking to add Remote Start option on it. I saw Best Buy has Compustar 2-way Remote Start Kit CS4905S-KIT for $249 (including installation).

Please help me in below:

1. How is the Compustar 2-way Remote Start Kit? The BB site says that its compatible with 2015 Odyssey, and the Compustar kit has 4.7 rating off 755 reviews. Did anyone installed this kit on 2015 Odyssey and how is the feedback?

2. Can I use the existing Honda remote with this kit, or use the new Compustar remote for all Honda remote operations? So I don't have to carry 2 separate remotes. OR, do I need to carry 2 remotes (honda and compustar all the time)?

3. Are there any better options for remote start kit ?

4. For any reasons if I have to remove the kit from vehicle, how complex it is to removal process for an average DIY person?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would highly recommend NOT installing any type of aftermarket remote start system. There is a high likelihood that in the future it will leave you (or your significant other) stranded as a no-start. Additionally, sometimes aftermarket equipment can wreak havoc on the electronics and network communications in the vehicle. These vehicles are filled with computer modules which talk to each other on networks connected by twisted pair communication lines. While a twisted pair is used to keep interference out, aftermarket equipment can still affect things...even things that are seemingly unrelated.

If you want a remote start, I'd recommend going with a factory Honda accessory, if available. If not available, steer clear.

#3 ·
re: "These vehicles are filled with computer modules which talk to each other on networks connected by twisted pair communication lines."

When you use the words "these vehicles", are you specifically referring to the Gen 4 Ody or are you referring to "modern" vehicles in general?

I ask because I've had aftermarket RS's in all of my vehicles basically since they became readily available to the general public. That includes a Gen 2 & Gen 3 Ody and just about all of the other Honda's listed in my signature. The unit in the Gen 3 was the most sophisticated, with 2 way comms and a 1 mile range. I used it without issue for over 7 years.

I don't recall ever having a problem related to a remote start that would have left me stranded. The worst problem I had was a RS that wouldn't try to start the 2011 CR-V more than once on really cold days. (It should try 3 times) Until that was fixed, I simply started the vehicle normally, with the key. Granted, none of these vehicles had push button start and I know that that adds a level of complexity due to the fob proximity requirement.

If you are specifically referring to the Gen 4 Ody, then I may re-think my plan for an aftermarket RS.

#4 ·
Good advice, been debating this for a long while, and haven't taken the leap for the reasons you list.

There was a poster here with a Honda OEM remote starter, that also created a no start issue and required reprogramming at the dealer.

That particular case the vehicle sat too long with a dead battery, and the remote starter module lost its settings.

looks like they are all prone to issues.

#5 ·
Also, seems your IP resolves to a fairly warm climate. Typically, the remote start folks are from the north where its too cold so they can fire up the car and let it warm up a bit. Why are you looking to add this aftermarket feature to begin with? That explanation may help feedback/responses a bit better.

#7 ·
I too am looking into a Compustar unit for my 17 EX-L. I don't recall the model number, but 2 different places that I called both use the same main unit. However, it should be noted that there are different fobs available for the Compustar system. The more features that you want the RS fob to do (sliders, hatch, etc.) the more expensive the unit. Whether Best Buy offers different fob choices is something that you might want to ask about.

I have always dealt with a local "auto trim shop" for my RS's. (a shop that installs audio systems, alarms, etc.). I pay a little more than at a Best Buy-like store, but I can call or walk in any time, talk directly to the tech that will be doing the work, discuss options, etc. They know me, I know them.

At this point, we're not sure as to whether or not 2 fobs will be needed. Both shops said that the OEM fob will need to be "nearby" in order to drive the vehicle. The RS fob can be programmed to open the sliders, etc. but the Ody needs to see the OEM fob before you can drive away. The shop I use said that it might work if an OEM fob is stored inside the vehicle*, but they won't know until they try it. They have agreed that if I need to carry both fobs, they will sell me the least expensive RS fob that will start the vehicle. The idea being that if I need to carry the OEM fob anyway, why pay for duplication of features (slider control, etc.). (I doubt you'll get that kind of offer from Best Buy).

The other option I am looking into is whether or not I can use the phone app (Drone) as the RS "fob" to start the vehicle and simply use the OEM as I do now for all other functions. That's not as convenient as the RS fob being able to do everything, like the iDataStart system that I had in my Gen 3 Ody, but it might beat having to carry 2 fobs.

*While the Ody owners manual is written such that it appears to indicate that you can't lock the Ody if the OEM fob is inside the vehicle, I have found that that is not 100% accurate. If you have another OEM fob outside the vehicle (and nearby) all lock and unlock features work just fine, including the fob, the door handle buttons, etc. The point here is that the RS system will "lock" the vehicle before it starts it (even if it's already locked) . If it can't remotely "lock" the vehicle with an OEM fob inside, then both fobs will be needed. However, if it can lock the Ody with an OEM fob inside, just like a second OEM fob can do, then (hopefully) only the RS fob needs to be carried.

(Yes, I know, leaving the OEM inside is risky due to a theft issue. That is an individual choice for each of us to make. I'm simply discussing the technology here.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.