Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

When I was researching an OBDII monitor for my 2011 Odyssey, I couldn't find the answer on these forums so I wanted to pass on that I just purchased the ultra-gauge.com MX version and it displayed transmission temp (along with a ton of other measurements) right out of the box. When ordering I just specified that it was for a Honda with CAN protocol and it worked perfectly. I am still deciding on measurements but so far I have these 6 metrics displayed:

trans temp
coolant temp
% engine load
time to empty
battery voltage
intake air temp

Hope this helps someone else out there.
Cheers,

Chad

·
Registered
58 Posts
Got my Ultra-Gauge MX ver. 1.3 for X-Mas and logged some ATF Temps.

Vehicle: 2013 Honda Odyssey
Milage: 25,000
Transmission: 5-Speed
Cooler: Honda OEM Tow Package Trans Cooler
ATF: Redline D6 ATF ( 4x drain/fill at 5,000 and 20,000 miles)
Filter: OEM + Magnefine.

Outside temps were around 40 deg F.
Had 4 adult passengers and about 200lbs of luggage.
Coolant temps: 178 deg F.

ATF Temp, idle in park: 120 deg F.
ATF Temp, stop and go traffic: 140 deg F.
ATF Temp, 45 MPH cruise: 130 deg F.
ATF Temp, 80 MPH Highway 125 deg F.
ATF Temp, Full throttle 0 to 80: 140 deg F then dropped to 125 deg F. within 15 seconds once T/C locked up.

I will log temps when summer/ hotter weather arrives. I suspect that ATF temps will be a little higher but should not exceed 180 to 190 deg F. In these mild temps, the OEM Trans cooler seems to be efficient enough. Note: The OEM trans temp sensor is located on the transmission case after the trans cooler return line circuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the informative follow up. My temperture usually hovers around 60 degrees celcius (140F). That is with our winter weather so I am worried what will happen when summer comes.
I do not have a transmission cooler and have often wondered if I should get one just to increase the life of the transmission - even though I never intend to tow anything.
From your description I would imagine you have a very healthy transmission!

Cheers,

Chad

·
Registered
836 Posts
Chad
Do you have a Gen 3 or Gen 4? If you have a 2011 or later, you have the new style transmission. If you are not towing, using a roof top luggage carrier, or consistently haul heavy loads, you should be fine without the transmission cooler. But it is highly recommended you properly change your transmission fluid with the proper fluid!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Freddie and Chad - Looks like you guys are the current go to guys for the UltraGauge MX. Mine should be arriving around the middle of the week. How exactly have you set up your main page for gauges? I know that I want voltage, Transmission Fluid temp, Engine coolant temp and Average MPG. What else do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you post your M gauge setting for trans temp read out?

Got my Ultra-Gauge MX ver. 1.3 for X-Mas and logged some ATF Temps.

Vehicle: 2013 Honda Odyssey
Milage: 25,000
Transmission: 5-Speed
Cooler: Honda OEM Tow Package Trans Cooler
ATF: Redline D6 ATF ( 4x drain/fill at 5,000 and 20,000 miles)
Filter: OEM + Magnefine.

Outside temps were around 40 deg F.
Had 4 adult passengers and about 200lbs of luggage.
Coolant temps: 178 deg F.

ATF Temp, idle in park: 120 deg F.
ATF Temp, stop and go traffic: 140 deg F.
ATF Temp, 45 MPH cruise: 130 deg F.
ATF Temp, 80 MPH Highway 125 deg F.
ATF Temp, Full throttle 0 to 80: 140 deg F then dropped to 125 deg F. within 15 seconds once T/C locked up.

I will log temps when summer/ hotter weather arrives. I suspect that ATF temps will be a little higher but should not exceed 180 to 190 deg F. In these mild temps, the OEM Trans cooler seems to be efficient enough. Note: The OEM trans temp sensor is located on the transmission case after the trans cooler return line circuit.

I purchased a UG MX1.3 with Honda CAN pre-config as you did, I have a 2012 Odyssey EX-L, however the read out is all error. I contacted ultragauge, believing they pre-config with a 2008 odyssey codes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed an UltraGauge MX 1.3 and it supports transmission temp out of the box for my 2010 Odyssey. Couldn't find verification before purchasing it, so I'm adding it to the "supported list"

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just installed an UltraGauge MX 1.3 and it supports transmission temp out of the box for my 2010 Odyssey. Couldn't find verification before purchasing it, so I'm adding it to the "supported list"
I already have an UG MX 1.3 that was in my Toyota Tacoma. The tranny temp reads ERR when mounted in my '16 Ody due to the PID's ( the codes) being different from Toyo to Honda. Could you please go to the M gauge page and list the parameters and their settings? On my UG, the tranny gauge is M Gauge 5. I would sure appreciate it. Thanks so much. I'll try to upload a screenshot of the page for you so you can see what it looks like.

Sam

·
Registered
64 Posts
Let me make the point that the PID's shown in the photo I posted above are INCORRECT for the Odyssey. They are the PID's for my Tacoma. My UG was previously in that truck, and I had programmed it for the Taco. Unlike Honda, Toyota's PID's are readily available.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
My UG was previously in that truck, and I had programmed it for the Taco.
Taco? I don't need a temperature reading on my taco because every time I tried reading the temp on a taco, the damn gauge breaks!

LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did anyone manage to get the UltraGauge to display transmission temperature on the 6-speed transmission (2014-2017 I think). I see in this thread that it is confirmed on a 5-speed 2011 but I wanted to confirm for the 6-speed 2016 that we have. I'm considering either the UltraGauge MX 1.3 or the UltraGauge Blue. I see on the UltraGauge site that it only lists the 5-speed for HondaCAN for the UltraGauge Blue and it doesn't have a listing for any 2014+ Odyssey for the UltraGauge MX.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did anyone manage to get the UltraGauge to display transmission temperature on the 6-speed transmission (2014-2017 I think). I see in this thread that it is confirmed on a 5-speed 2011 but I wanted to confirm for the 6-speed 2016 that we have. I'm considering either the UltraGauge MX 1.3 or the UltraGauge Blue. I see on the UltraGauge site that it only lists the 5-speed for HondaCAN for the UltraGauge Blue and it doesn't have a listing for any 2014+ Odyssey for the UltraGauge MX.
I don't think anyone can come up with it. I even went so far as to call Honda corporate here in the US. I asked to speak to anyone in Engineering, but they wouldn't allow me to. Honda is pretty secretive about this stuff. Kind of silly, really.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.