Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

First of all, this is my first post, so I wanted to thank you all in advance for being an amazing forum. I also own a 2006 Civic Si, and I've been part of 8thgencivic forums.

I am a touring musician, and I have recently purchased a 2011 Odyssey EX-L with Navi and have ordered a towing package.

I noticed the towing package comes with other things, besides just the hitch. But how can I make sure the dealership did their job?

-Sami

·
Registered
26 Posts
as far as i know it come with the hitch and transmission cooler. i believe the tranny cooler is an external piece, in which case you could get under it and check, but i'm not certain. sami...n.o.... musician.... you in GW? if so we know each other and i just did the same thing, lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It also comes with a wiring harness. If you order it, I'm pretty sure you'll get it...if you're towing something and you can't wire lights and/or your transmission overheats, you'll know!

As an FYI, the pieces are available separately. I actually just got the hitch because I'm not anticipating towing things but will probably attach a bike carrier. If I change course, the other pieces are available any time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It also comes with a wiring harness. If you order it, I'm pretty sure you'll get it...if you're towing something and you can't wire lights and/or your transmission overheats, you'll know!

As an FYI, the pieces are available separately. I actually just got the hitch because I'm not anticipating towing things but will probably attach a bike carrier. If I change course, the other pieces are available any time.
I was considering doing the same but have heard rumors that if you get the hitch without the transmission cooler and you run into transmission problems Honda may not cover them under warranty as they'll say they can't be sure you didn't tow a 6000 pound trailer up the mountains without a cooler that caused the issues. I will probably just get both parts even if I don't end up pulling a trailer because of that.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I think you can save some money by just putting the hitch on and maybe adding the wiring, but at some point you may start pulling a trailer (say you got that new PWC and want to pull it out to the lake, etc.) and will just start pulling it without the oil cooler. Probably not a good thing and you might be best just to install everything at the same time so you are ready to go when you need it. that is what I am doing.

On a separate note, the Honda system is a bit of a rip off. The 2008 Sienna came from the factory with the capability to tow a 3,500 lb trailer, without modification to the vehicle. All you have to do is attached the hitch. Honda needs an oil cooler. I think it should be designed that way from the start. After all the Odyssey is already more expensive than the Sienna (in most trim levels).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree...

Add to that, no roof rails, no body-side moulding, no roadside assitance, no splash guards, etc.

Everything's an accessory now and the dealers have a big grin on their face.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as far as i know it come with the hitch and transmission cooler. i believe the tranny cooler is an external piece, in which case you could get under it and check, but i'm not certain. sami...n.o.... musician.... you in GW? if so we know each other and i just did the same thing, lol.
GW? Not sure what you mean :)

So I just got the van today... For future reference, the it comes with a transmission fluid cooling pump, that is infront of the radiator. Also, the wiring is done beautifully.... so much better than the 3rd party install I did on my last touring vehicle. I'll post pics soon.

I agree with all you all.. the honda dealership is more expensive, BUT consider the fact that any other hitch install and consequent engine damage will not be covered under warranty.. I think the extra $400 may be worth it. Plus, it looks a lot cleaner, like I said..

-Sami

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was considering doing the same but have heard rumors that if you get the hitch without the transmission cooler and you run into transmission problems Honda may not cover them under warranty as they'll say they can't be sure you didn't tow a 6000 pound trailer up the mountains without a cooler that caused the issues. I will probably just get both parts even if I don't end up pulling a trailer because of that.
If your going to tow, absolutely get the tranny cooler. If you have a hitch, no cooler and tranny issues, they will assume you've been towing. There's no way to prove otherwise. Maybe you will get goodwill, maybe not. Do you want to fight that battle?

I have a class 3 on my '02 EX-L, never towed, used only for a bike rack. I installed the coolers so Honda couldn't make any claims particularly with the 2nd generation transmission issues. Fortunately, no tranny issues. And, if things go right I will be trading it in on a 2011 TODAY!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
we have a dealer installed tow package, and I have to agree, they did a good job cutting the bumper and installing everything. ( I can take some pictures if you want ) We worked it out as part of the deal, so I'm not sure how 'low' you can drop the price on the install at the dealer.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I agree...

Add to that, no roof rails, no body-side moulding, no roadside assitance, no splash guards, etc.

Everything's an accessory now and the dealers have a big grin on their face.

I'm pretty sure we get roadside assistance in Canada.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I put some pics on my blog of my new vehicle.. It has pics of the towing hitch installed. Haven't towed anything just yet.. although we're planning on hauling about 1300 lbs to California in just over 2 weeks.

samikhanmusic | Just another WordPress.com site

-Sami
Thanks for the pictures. Can you post one from the side and from the rear, but from further away?

Also, please tell me that the flat plug on the hitch mounting point has a rubber car to fit over the contacts! :huh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the pictures. Can you post one from the side and from the rear, but from further away?

Also, please tell me that the flat plug on the hitch mounting point has a rubber car to fit over the contacts! :huh:
Sure, I'll get some more pics up.

Yes it does! If you look closely in the picture, you'll see the rubber cover hanging off... I took it off for the photo :)

-Sami

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can u remover that big piece or does that stay like that even when u are not pulling something?
I'm not entirely sure I understand your question.. The hitch mount cannot be removed.. the photo I have up is what you get when you install the towing package.

Technically, I guess you could remove the hitch mount, but that is WAY TOO much work if your concern is 'driving around with it'

-Sami

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I finally towed something with the Odyssey. It was a 6x12 enclosed uHaul trailer.
First trailer we hooked up had some short, so it blew the fuse for the parking lights.
I know there was a discussion regarding aftermarket hitch and fuses.
Well what I can say is that for a factory installed hitch, the fuses for the trailer are in the 3rd row on the left panel (driver side). It took us a while to find them, I only knew of the 2 fuse boxes under the hood, and the 2 footwell areas on the passenger and driver side. Luckly my wife pulled up the manual on my iPhone and found the 5th fuse location. Anyways, there are the trailer fuses, if you have RES, the fuse for the current inverter is there too.

I towed around town and honestly, it did pretty well. Fastest speed I had was 60mph, I didn't get any open freeway towing opportunities, but again, I was pretty happy with how the van did. I just pushed the little button on the shift lever that souldn't let it get past 4th gear, and all went well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts