Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're looking at a 2008 Odyssey. The dealer said it's an EX with Leather, not an EX-L. The dealer couldn't answer this question: How do you know if the vehicle has VCM?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Unless the leather is aftermarket then the van is an EX-L. If it's an EX-L then it has VCM. Take it out for a test drive and put on the cruise control. On the left side of the dash a green "ECO" should light up. That means you have VCM. Also, the engine cover should have VCM on it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,909 Posts
colnago1331 said:
Unless the leather is aftermarket then the van is an EX-L. If it's an EX-L then it has VCM.
Correct

colnago1331 said:
Take it out for a test drive and put on the cruise control. On the left side of the dash a green "ECO" should light up. That means you have VCM.
Wrong. Even the LX has a ECO light and the ECO light has absolutely NOTHING to do with VCM at all. Search and ye shall see. :)

colnago1331 said:
Also, the engine cover should have VCM on it.
Correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Wrong. Even the LX has a ECO light and the ECO light has absolutely NOTHING to do with VCM at all. Search and ye shall see. :)
According to my owner's manual (2007):

[ECO] Fuel Economy Indicator
On EX-L and Touring Models
Not saying you're wrong. Just sayin'. :D But does the ECO light actually light up on LX models or is it just there so Honda doesn't have to make two instrument cluster panels?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,604 Posts
Laphroaig said:
Absolutely nothing?

I see a strong correlation between the ECO light and the VCM working.
The correlation is that VCM isn't going to kick on unless the ECO light is on. But that's the endo fo the correlation.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,909 Posts
skinny2 said:
The correlation is that VCM isn't going to kick on unless the ECO light is on. But that's the endo fo the correlation.
Ok. My mistake. You are right. VCM won't kick in if ECO doesn't turn on which it doesn't if a CEL is on. But that is the end of the correlation. :)

Still looking up information about LX having an ECO light. I swear I remember one of the LX guys over here saying they too had the ECO light. I'll post back one way or the other on the ECO light on the LX. :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,909 Posts
colnago1331 said:
According to my owner's manual (2007):



Not saying you're wrong. Just sayin'. :D But does the ECO light actually light up on LX models or is it just there so Honda doesn't have to make two instrument cluster panels?
Yup. You're right. For some reason, it stuck to my mind that someone with a LX had posted that they too had the ECO light. I double checked the 2007 and 2008 (VCM2 system) and they both say only for EX-L and Tourings. You you're right. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
dvpatel said:
Ok. My mistake. You are right. VCM won't kick in if ECO doesn't turn on which it doesn't if a CEL is on. But that is the end of the correlation. :)

Still looking up information about LX having an ECO light. I swear I remember one of the LX guys over here saying they too had the ECO light. I'll post back one way or the other on the ECO light on the LX. :)
actually i remember reading a post about how the even with the ECO light off, VCM could still be on.

if you open the hood, the plastic engine covering says "i-VTEC VCM"

*edit
like my sig :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,604 Posts
eneka1 said:
actually i remember reading a post about how the even with the ECO light off, VCM could still be on.

if you open the hood, the plastic engine covering says "i-VTEC VCM"
We have a winner. Unless someone went to the bother of swapping engine covers.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
skinny2 said:
The correlation is that VCM isn't going to kick on unless the ECO light is on. But that's the endo fo the correlation.
When the ECO light is on, I would say that VCM is on too 80% of the time. That's what we call a strong correlation, much more than the one between the light on my VCR and the VCM or even the one between the headlights and the VCM.

I think there is nothing more correlated with the VCM than the ECO light.

I would be richer gambling that the VCM is on when the ECO light is on than gambling VCM is off when ECO light is on...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Laphroaig said:
When the ECO light is on, I would say that VCM is on too 80% of the time. That's what we call a strong correlation, much more than the one between the light on my VCR and the VCM or even the one between the headlights and the VCM.

I think there is nothing more correlated with the VCM than the ECO light.

I would be richer gambling that the VCM is on when the ECO light is on than gambling VCM is off when ECO light is on...
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showt...184&perpage=15&highlight=vcm+led&pagenumber=1

L&S Van said:
I have been curious as to when the engine is in 3-cylinder mode. I was able to hook up an LED that lights when VCM shuts down the aft bank of cylinders. Under the intake manifold cover, there is a two-pin connector for the VTEC solenoid valve. The GRN/YEL wire in the connector controls the solenoid valve which activates the "cylinder pause" mode with a 12-v signal. I backprobed that connector and ran a wire to an LED temporarily mounted to the side of the dashboard.

From a brief test drive, 3-cyl mode activates within about 30 sec after the ECO light comes on. Usually, if you're in 3-cyl mode, the ECO light is also on. However, there were a couple of slow speed situations when I was in 3-cyl mode without the ECO light (30-35 mph). The engine switches back to 6-cyl mode as you come to a stop and the revs drop to 1000rpm. The ECO light stays on until you slow below about 10mph.

As for highway performance, the sweet spot for 3-cyl mode was about 65-70mph, depending on the road incline and winds. I was able to keep the ECO light on up to about 75mph, but I couldn't get 3-cyl mode above 70 mph (on level to slight uphill grade). Having a tailwind or downhill grade would probably increase that speed.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top