Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought the 2007 Odyssey Touring and I knew of the tires.

I thought it would be relatively straight forward to switch from the PAX system over to different rims and tires, boy was I wrong!!!!

My frustration ::::: Unable to locate a single thing to tell me the specifications on the PAX tires. I presently have mounted 235 - 710 R460A 104T and all I want to do is determine their details, size, rotations per mile and etc. To this end, thus far, nothing found.

I see many folks changing out to 16 in wheels, 17 in wheels, 18 in wheels and even larger from various other vehicles including the Acura....

What I desire is a rim of sufficient size and capability to carry weight and onto which I may install the Hankook 727 tire which will have identical rotations per mile as the present PAX tires.

To this end is my frustrations, many posts covering the issue but nothing seems clear cut. I desire a nicer wheel, not steel and prefer to avoid chrome ones if possible. Polished aluminum ----

Would someone please enlighten me as I wish a nice riding and handling tires, not a low profile rough riding and handling tire....

Thank you all in advance.

So far I love this van (am knowledgable of the Odyssey as I bought a new EX-L in 2002, however had to quickly sell it to avoid ex wife getting it).

God Bless

Bill

·
Registered
174 Posts
The pax tires are not traditional tires so you will not be able to convert sizes. The oem tire sizes for your odyssey is 235/65/16. Any tire size with the same overall circumference wil fit. Tirerack.com is a good resource to find comparable tire sizes along with competitive prices. When selecting a vehicle, choose a 2007 Honda odyssey EX since that vehicle did not come with pax tires. Tirerack also offers a nice selection of aftermarket wheels. The other issue with depaxing is getting the correct tpms sensors. There are numorous threads on that subject including a sticky.
As far as tire recommendations, that is as highly debated as oil preference. General rule of thumb is larger the sidewall, the more comfortable ride. Some compounds are better quality than others but maintaining the largest cushion of air between the ground and the rim will provide the most comfort. People install larger rims for looks and/or improved handling. Only you can decide your priorities. Personally, I went with 20" wheels for both looks and handling. The ride is a bit firmer but not at all uncomfortable and to me, the odyssey looks better and handles a lot better.

Congrats on the new ride and have fun with the upgrades!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information.

I had been thinking of the 17 inch wheel but now have decided to go with the 16 inch primarily because of the tire I wish to put on her.

The Hankook Optimo 727 is one of the best longest lasting tires I have ever put on my vehicles in the past and I believe I will stay with that tire. After looking at the load range of the 17 inch version VS; the 16 inch version the 16 is just a little better. Tread wear is slightly better on the 17, however only marginally so.

I had a set on one vehicle that managed over 97,000 miles not long ago and still had not reached the wear bar....

Thank you

This fall I know what I shall be doing.

God Bless

Bill

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think 17" wheels is a good for the ODY, Go with 16's and your tires will be cheaper. If your looking for the tire difference between size's and how it will impact your speedometer try this website, it has helped me in the past with my vehicle's and going with after market wheels/different wheel size's from what the manufacturer recommends. Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

I know the sticky thread on PAX is over whelming but it has tons of info regarding everything you need to do to depax correctly!

P.S. Make sure you have the correct TPMS sensors (for the Touring Model) if you are not going to reuse the original sensors. And if your going to be looking for wheels online use the EX-L or EX model don't use Touring because you will get a error or a msg saying to consult with your dealer. But the EX TPMS sensors are not the correct ones for the Touring.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses - am enjoying reading and learning more.

I bought the van and in the back was a complete set of PAX wheels and tires, and the ones on the van appeared to have approximately 2/3 tread left. On visiting with the previous owners I learned they had bought a complete set (take off set) from another owner and at that time they were new. They bought specifically so they would have a spare to carry on a couple trips to California and back - never needed though. Then when they had just about worn out the original set ---- they said at around 50,000 miles ---- they switched tires.

When I bought the van it had 67,000 on it ---- so I figure the present set should last me the rest of this year and possibly into next.

During this time I intend on doing the following:
1 - I am going to search for a "take off" set of wheels from similar year EX-L just to have on hand when the time nears. Then I will buy the TPMS set for my Touring and install them into the wheels and then obtain the tires I have selected.

After this all occurs I will have 8 PAX wheels and tires ----- then I must figure out what to do with them. Thoughts????

One more thing ----- is the spare in the 2007 Odyssey a full sized one, or a mini? Guess what I need to know is if I find a single EX-L wheel of any design can I put it into the spare tire compartment?

God Bless

Bill

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Moved to the dedicated wheels/tires forum.

All you need to do OP, is search around abit. This PAX deal has been beat to death several times over and then some. There is also a thread called "Spare my Touring" that is the holy grail of purchasing a spare set for yourself. Also, there are a couple of huge stickes on dePaxing that includes all the infromation on sizes etc. which you might as well look over.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

However I have read dozens and dozens of the threads on de-paxing and all they ultimately end up doing is "confusing" the issue.

They range from straight forward procedures and replacements to the take off wheels, various sizes and tires.

Sorry folks - but to the average person all this does is to confuse the issue. I am not one to begin switching modes, sizes, shapes, and all the other variations out there - and yes, I do know that is very possible and very personal decision. Not me - I want something straight forward and simple.

THIS - is the reason for my OP.

God Bless

Bill

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Well, you're approaching the issue the wrong way.

First you need to decide on your rims. For that you need to settle on the rim size.
Then you decide what tire size will work for you that will fit the rim you selected and also not throw your speedometer off by too much. There are calculators available for that which are a part of stickies.

Once you have those two down, there is no more confusion/frusteration.

Alternavitely, you can contact one of the two dePax kit sellers and just purchase the whole set pre-assembled and rid yourself of the confusion.

Also, if you ever feel that your brakes are inadequate and want to upgrade your brakes to the bigger Pilot hardware, if you go with 16", you will NOT be able to do that. So, perhaps keep that in mind and hopefully go with 17 or even 18s. The 18 is the most common size on here for dePaxing based on hundereds of threads on the subject. Both the stickies also make use of that size rim.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Understand, however I do not plan on making such modifications to my van.

I have located a source for OEM take offs from 2008 EX-L 16 inch rims and plan on obtaining them. So - unless something happens I will have them shipped in to me soon and set them aside until I need to install them.

Once I receive them I will obtain the pressure sensors and after that I plan on locating the necessary lug nuts (I will have to see what I will need as I am not sure the old PAX lug nuts from my 2007 will work on the 2008 EX-L rims).

The tire I will use is going to be the Hankook Optimo 727 because of past experience with that tire. I feel that this tire is one of the best on the market and has exceptionally long tread life.

So - if you have knowledge of whether or not the lug nuts will work when I make the change I certainly would appreciate it.

God Bless

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts