Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...the only choices I have for 5-point harness seats that go above 40 lbs are the "as yet not available" Britax Safe Embrace & the discontinued and not even on eBay at the moment Fisher Price Futura.

That's nice. So if I want to protect my son in a 5-point harness seat past 40 lbs...its impossible to do right now. Unless I get 'lucky' and find a used Futura on eBay (bad idea on so many levels) there's not enough money in the world to buy this type of seat currently.

That really stinks. I'm in the market to replace our aging Century carseat for our 4 year old and I don't want to buy one that's only going to last him another year or 2 (he's already close to 40 lbs now...)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS...where do you guys who don't have Britax retailers in your areas get your carseats from? I see a couple of online carseat dealers but of course no one has the Safe Embrace yet.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
The Right Start apparently received the final shipment of Fisher Price Futuras this week. Apparently, there is interest in the industry to buy some of Fisher Price's tooling, but expect it to be months before anything happens, and probably a year to see the seats if it does. The Britax Super Elite should be more common as the end of the year gets closer. Simpson Racing may have a seat on the market by the end of the year rated to 60 pounds in a harness, and with LATCH.

Please don't dismiss Belt Positioning Boosters. They are not unsafe by any means. In fact, their head excursion numbers are usually quite good. If they fit properly, and your child remains seated properly, they are an effective restraint system. One of the main advantages of the 5-point harness is that it makes it more difficult for a child to squirm, lean or slump out of position, but older children can be taught to sit correctly (No flames please!).

CIP did not have an exclusive on the Futura. But, Fisher Price did have a very high minimum order, and CIP, Right Start and Dmart were about the only retailers willing to purchase that many. Another way Fisher Price shot itself in the foot in carseat marketing.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can get an alpha omega, not sure who makes them but it is a 5 point harness. they are up to 70 pounds.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
OK, this is exactly what happens when people don't read and then go off cockeyed, spreading misinformation:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You can get an alpha omega, not sure who makes them but it is a 5 point harness. they are up to 70 pounds. </font>
And yes, Cosco makes the Alpha Omega.

BUT: while it has a 5 point harness, and while it goes up to 70 pounds, the two DO NOT GO TOGETHER.

Read the thread here again. There are car seats that have 5 point harnesses, and there are car seats that go up to 70 or so pounds, and there are some that "do both".

HOWEVER: the Alpha Omega is like most of them in that it DOES NOT use the 5 point harness past 40 pounds.

Past 40 pounds, it's a belt positioning booster seat--which is code for "you sit your child in it and use the vehicle's seat belt for restraint".

So to say, "it is a 5 point harness. they are up to 70 pounds" is *technically* correct but in the current context is a completely wrong statement.

I hope nobody goes out and buys one thinking it's 5 point harness up to 70 pounds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
PS...where do you guys who don't have Britax retailers in your areas get your car seats from? I see a couple of online car seat dealers but of course no one has the Safe Embrace yet.</font>
When we lived in Memphis my wife and I ramped up for the birth of our first child, buying everything we needed at this place:

Babytime Memphis
3086 Norbrook Dr, Memphis, TN 38116-1604
Phone: (901) 332-2229

No website, no virtual store ... heck, I'm not sure they even have many computers ... just honest & knowledgeable about children’s products. They used to be a distributor for the Southeast, and then decided to open their doors to the public several years back. I've used them since we moved from Memphis, when we lived out West for a few years, and now that we are back home. If not better prices than most, at least competitive. Give them a try.
------------------------------------------------------------------
’86 Civic – gone
, but not forgotten
’90 4Runner – great, but lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
So...the only choices I have for 5-point harness seats that go above 40 lbs are the "as yet not available" Britax Safe Embrace & the discontinued and not even on eBay at the moment Fisher Price Futura.

That's nice. So if I want to protect my son in a 5-point harness seat past 40 lbs...its impossible to do right now. Unless I get 'lucky' and find a used Futura on eBay (bad idea on so many levels) there's not enough money in the world to buy this type of seat currently.

That really stinks. I'm in the market to replace our aging Century carseat for our 4 year old and I don't want to buy one that's only going to last him another year or 2 (he's already close to 40 lbs now...)
</font>
Still in the market? Check this out
http://www.bopeepnurseryproducts.com/komfortgtx.htm
I've been searching around for something to replace our cosco EB boosters. They're ok, but my son is sizing out of it. Had the Century Next Step prior and went through the same thing. He just turned 6 but is tall, lean but solid (58 lbs.) His head is over the top and he just looks generally uncomfortable. But, his safety fanatic mama is not letting him out of a booster until he's 80 lbs. (the now recommended weight.) I think this seat could last him until then and looks quite comfortable. I just need to check it out from a safety standpoint a little more. Don't know if the lack of a hard back is a detriment. Need to make sure it can be tethered. Mine now don't budge thanks to the tether. I think the position of the seat belt is the critical factor so it's just a matter of the seat "boosting" to a sufficient height. Anyway, thought I'd share this. Hope it helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts