Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi~~

It is my first time to ask something...
I am planning to replace both front rotors and pads..
After looking forums, I had some of basic information.

But I got confused about shims, and grease and lubricant.

Do I need to grease the pads when I change them?

And what is shim?

Because I am literally new to DIY, I have no Idea..

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If you have never worked on a car before, I don't know that doing your brakes (which you sort of depend on) by yourself is a good idea...

you apply grease between the shim and the pad backing plate (the shim is an anti-squeal shim) and then between the caliper and the shim. You have to be careful to get nothing on the business side of the pads, or on the braking surface on the rotor.

Do your rotors need to be replaced? If they are still a ways over the minimum thickness, aren't causing pad vibration, and aren't too scored, they should be just fine with only a pad replacement.

For your own safety, have someone who has done brake work before watch over your shoulder to make sure any mistakes are caught and corrected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank DrD for advise and information

Thanks DrD.
Actually, I changed my rear rotors and pads at autoshop, because they scared me....

The mechanic said that the front rotors and pads remained 25%...

That's why I planned to do brake job by myself...

After listening to your advise, I need to reconsider that job...

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If you plan to do it yourself without any experience ot knowlege of the job you need to get Honfa's service manual and the instructions on how to do it correctly. Most cars only have the pads to replace but the Odyssey has the shims to get in correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bigbill25 and William Wiles.

So it can be dangerous to do break job without any one who has experience.
So I either buy a manual or ask help...
Thank you.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just make sure to take pictures of how everything was when you took things off and make sure its the same when putting it back together. Though, watch out for the rotors since you need an impact screwdriver to remove the rotors.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Make sure you only do one side at a time. That way, if you forget how something goes back together, you can always look at the other side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks sontakke, gregersonke, and joec42

After having many good advices, I am more afraid of doing this job.
I will do break job, either with service manual or with mechanic.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Do it with a good mechanic. That way you will learn it but more importantly you will have a good mechanic that you can give all of your business to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts