Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this with 98k miles. Regular maintenance has been recorded. Looks to be in good shape. I currently own a 2008 and am very pleased. Is there anything I should be aware of or trouble items to look for on this 2001?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone
Scott

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't see any link in your post, but there are two big issues: 1) Has the transmission been replaced yet? (mine was on transmission #3 when I bought it at 107K miles; 2) The 105K mile maintenance (timing belt rollers & tensioner, water pump, seals, belts, plugs, etc) which can easily run over $1K at a dealer (my guess is that it hasn't been done yet).

You can spend between $3K and $5K on a rebuilt tranny, depending upon who does it for you. Make sure you don't overpay for the vehicle, as you may have to do the tranny after you buy it. Many people still are unaware of the poor reliability of the 99-04 Odyssey transmissions (which were also used in Accords and Acuras with the V6 motors). And unfortunately, you can't necessarily tell from fluid condition or other indicators that your tranny is on its last legs (as evidenced by reading hundreds of postings on this site over the past two years).

And the catalytic converter can get tired (helped along by a plugged EGR passage) and throw a P0420 code which will cause you to fail emissions testing if you have to do that. That can be another $1K fix (although there are other less-expensive options, search for that code and spark plug extender on this forum).

Other than that, it's the normal issues that you would face with any car. Remember, pay accordingly based upon the issues above. I cannot believe the stupid-high prices that some people are paying for used cars these days (my friends recently bought a 10-year-old Sienna for $10K!).

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Redmond is right on. Our Ody has been really good to us but the transmission is always an unknown even though we do what we can to make it last like adding a tranny cooler. If maintenance was really kept up then you should see the timing belt replacement on there because of the age. Plugs soon if not done but those are easy, use OEM p/n. Price it in mind of these things.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5k is the price and has all records of regular and major regular maintenance. The transmission is original. It seems to be performing well.

Thank you very much for the information!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone
Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts