Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 2004 Ody with 73k miles on it and was wondering from this forum what to look for. Specifically, I have heard numerous reports of transmissions problems with this car, expecially around this time frame. Right now the car looks and acts fine. How would I know if this transmission problem I have heard about is present in the car and waiting to express itself some time in the future?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My own experience

We have had a 2004 ody res ie bought it new. I would ensure when the tsb came out if this one was affected that it was taken back in to get the lubrication system they put in, sorry cant remember the specifics. Of course check maintenance records etc. We, have knock on wood had very good luck. , 139k and counting. Has turned out to be very reliable. I am fairly regular with maintenance!,oil changes, regularly scheduled services at our Honda dealer, timing belt change! Water pump etc. I computed recently that we had spent an average of about 850 a year in all maintenance costs over about 7.5 years. This includes all major and minor stuff as above! 2 sets of brake changes! Fluid changes,filters and the list goes on. My experience is usually if the car was taken care of,then you will do ok ! Good luck

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I am considering a 2004 Ody with 73k miles on it and was wondering from this forum what to look for. ?
I'd look for a Toyota...........I'd never buy my 04 over again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
know willy for awhile now since I registered and to be honest willy is right now..along with DVpatel as he said about this generation model, "cut your losses and move on"

I like my odyssye 03, but I need to sell it before this tranny dies on me..its a lost cause period for these trannys.

·
Registered
97 Posts
To each his own....but I've got 170,000 on my 2000 ody... changed he transmission once but that's it.

Very cheap car to run ... I would do it all over again for sure!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've know 3 people with "revised" transmissions that have had transmission failures. Could just be a fluke. At least 2 of our friends have mentioned getting around 11mpg city...which is about the same as a chevy suburban.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I've know 3 people with "revised" transmissions that have had transmission failures. Could just be a fluke. At least 2 of our friends have mentioned getting around 11mpg city...which is about the same as a chevy suburban.

Not true.....the Suburban actually does better than this.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Not true.....the Suburban actually does better than this.
:DD:DD:DD

To the OP: Do you like gambling? About 2/3rds of the people who buy this generation of Odysseys don't have any transmission problems and think that the vans are great, but 1/3rd do. For those 1/3rd, life sucks. You can pay, what, maybe $9-12K for that van you're looking at, and then maybe have to pay another $3-5K a few months or years later for a transmission. If you're OK with that, then great.

I came to this forum before I bought my used 2001, and after learning about the tranny issues, specifically bought one from the original owner that had just had its third transmission installed under warranty (at just 107K miles). I've got about 40K miles on it so far, fingers crossed. I paid about $7K for my van used, and consider that a pretty good deal since it had just had a Honda-dealer-installed transmission which would have cost me $4-5K out of pocket. If I had to pay for that myself after having bought the van, I would have been extremely upset, to say the least!

My sister's '99 Odyssey just lost its third transmission, and it started acting up just a couple of months before it completely failed (about 300 miles from home in a remote area). Even still, the transmission fluid looked and smelled just fine. So there is no crystal ball that any of us internet posters have access to that can tell you if the tranny in that van will live for another 5 miles, 500, 5000, or 50K.

·
Registered
369 Posts
what this man just said....

:DD:DD:DD

To the OP: Do you like gambling? About 2/3rds of the people who buy this generation of Odysseys don't have any transmission problems and think that the vans are great, but 1/3rd do. For those 1/3rd, life sucks. You can pay, what, maybe $9-12K for that van you're looking at, and then maybe have to pay another $3-5K a few months or years later for a transmission. If you're OK with that, then great.

I came to this forum before I bought my used 2001, and after learning about the tranny issues, specifically bought one from the original owner that had just had its third transmission installed under warranty (at just 107K miles). I've got about 40K miles on it so far, fingers crossed. I paid about $7K for my van used, and consider that a pretty good deal since it had just had a Honda-dealer-installed transmission which would have cost me $4-5K out of pocket. If I had to pay for that myself after having bought the van, I would have been extremely upset, to say the least!

My sister's '99 Odyssey just lost its third transmission, and it started acting up just a couple of months before it completely failed (about 300 miles from home in a remote area). Even still, the transmission fluid looked and smelled just fine. So there is no crystal ball that any of us internet posters have access to that can tell you if the tranny in that van will live for another 5 miles, 500, 5000, or 50K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree - its not a question of IF its WHEN. regardless of maintenance or usage

the transmission fluid looked and smelled just fine. So there is no crystal ball that any of us internet posters have access to that can tell you if the tranny in that van will live for another 5 miles, 500, 5000, or 50K.
yep, there were NO signs of any type of issue with TWO transmission failures I had.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the unit you are looking at has been in your area most of its life, try to find out if the coil springs have been replaced (especially in front). This bubbled up to just short of a NHTSA recall at one point and then died off. The road salts seem to break down the metal in the spring and a section breaks out.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
If the unit you are looking at has been in your area most of its life, try to find out if the coil springs have been replaced (especially in front). This bubbled up to just short of a NHTSA recall at one point and then died off. The road salts seem to break down the metal in the spring and a section breaks out.
Did not know that....I got some noises going on up front...wonder it this is the problem....What a pile of **** this van it

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
know willy for awhile now since I registered and to be honest willy is right now..along with DVpatel as he said about this generation model, "cut your losses and move on"
I said that? Hmmm. I do say I won't buy another Honda for a very long time but I don't remember telling people to cut their losses if they're not having trouble with their current cars. Perhaps some context of my quote is needed as I can't find that post you mention.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
I said that? Hmmm. I do say I won't buy another Honda for a very long time but I don't remember telling people to cut their losses if they're not having trouble with their current cars. Perhaps some context of my quote is needed as I can't find that post you mention.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own an 04 odyssey, bought new and now has 111000 mi on it plus additional 30k mi from towing 4 wheels down behind my motorhome and have no trans porblems. Only problems I have had are replace 2 motor mounts, fix coolant leak & replace sensor light on trans. So far a great vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts