Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 101,991 miles, sitting on a dealer lot. I have nor seen it in person yet (only pics), but considering going deeper. What are some potential problem you guys recommend I check for? I am going to look at sliding door operation, engine mounts (rear specifically), transmission smoothness, and whether or not the timing belt was done. I am betting the timing belt service was not done and thats why it got traded in. Sigh :)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Learn about VCM and the need to disable it with a muzzler device.

·
Registered
402 Posts
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 101,991 miles, sitting on a dealer lot. I have nor seen it in person yet (only pics), but considering going deeper. What are some potential problem you guys recommend I check for? I am going to look at sliding door operation, engine mounts (rear specifically), transmission smoothness, and whether or not the timing belt was done. I am betting the timing belt service was not done and thats why it got traded in. Sigh :)
Check the spark plugs and make sure there is no fouling.
Once you get the car, you can get muzzler device to disable VCM.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 2010 EXL with a few miles less then the one you're looking at..Be curious to know what they're asking . You'll want the service history, particularly the timing belt, that should have recently been done..If not, it will need it..The other things to look for are any fluid leaks..Check up top as well around the spool valve, and valve cover gaskets for any signs of leakage.

This van has been super reliable for us over the years and I feel it still has some good life left in it..Recent repairs include, shocks and struts, busted motor mount, leaking power steering line and a couple other misc. odds and ends not worth mentioning..Also, added the VCM muzzler..

To me the biggest thing, which we're dealing with right now is to listen for any unusual valve train noise when the engine is revved up. We initially thought it might be the timing belt tensioner, but it turns out some of these vans had issues with premature cam wear, so definitely something you want to factor into the equation. Good luck.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Find LX or EX. All others will have a lot more problems - VCM induced oil burning, leaking spool valve, torn apart engine mounts, creepy serpentine belt tensioner, and probably something else I don't know about.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Find LX or EX. All others will have a lot more problems - VCM induced oil burning, leaking spool valve, torn apart engine mounts, creepy serpentine belt tensioner, and probably something else I don't know about.
Had a 2005 EX and now have a 2010 EX-L. The EX gave me plenty of engine mount problems and was burning some oil (not too bad) by the time it hit 230k. The EX-L, now at 177k, is muzzled, runs smoother, and has no oil burning issues. Don't fear the EX-L...!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,407 Posts
Had a 2005 EX and now have a 2010 EX-L. The EX gave me plenty of engine mount problems and was burning some oil (not too bad) by the time it hit 230k. The EX-L, now at 177k, is muzzled, runs smoother, and has no oil burning issues. Don't fear the EX-L...!
177k and 230k are two very different mileages. You also have to account for the fact that the 2005s had a different engine and transmission compared to the 2010, regardless of trim.

The camshaft issue is a legitimate concern.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Don't fear the EX-L...!
Your experience was different, you got lucky, but EXL and Touring ( J35A7 ) has the most problems. That's the fact.

The most common questions on this forum - how to muzzle VCM, what to do when its too late to muzzle, how to fix leaking spool valve, how to convert to none-VCM engine mounts, what to do with broken tensioner hex, snapped
tensioner bolt, etc..

Too many problems, if you ask me. In exchange of what? Leather and automatic tailgate? )

·
Registered
2010 EX-L 230,000 2010 Touring 91,000
76 Posts
I have 2, yes two 2010's, a touring bought last year with (86K miles) because I liked our EX-L so much. Bought the EX-L with 112K miles 4 years ago. Was unaware of the VCM system and problems that come with it, until it caused misfire on cyl 3 and high oil usage at 185K two years ago. Dealer suggested new rings at my expense. Found this forum and learned what to do about it. Muzzled it, new plugs, no problems sense, now has about 230K miles. Replaced the spool valve gaskets last weekend. Of course I muzzled the newer one upon purchase.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,407 Posts
Anyway, the OP is talking about a 100k van. Plenty of life ahead for a 100k EX-L, IME...
Assuming of course, VCM is disabled and doesn't cause any issues, the camshafts don't wear out, etc.

Reactions: Odyssey.owner

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
First, ask the dealer to email you the Carfax report.

Second, ask if you can take it to a shop for a pre purchase inspection.

Finally, if it is a Honda dealer, ask for the service history, which may be on the Carfax report.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts