Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading all over the internet about how the Honda has been putting crap transmissions in the Odyssey, and there still being issues in the 4th gen models.

My wife is really, really wanting a Honda to replace our Dodge GC SXT, but I'm a little wary of doing so if I'm going to be replacing/rebuilding a tranny in 4 or 5 years. I'll just buy a better equipped Kia or Dodge with an extended warranty.
Is this much ado about nothing? I am actually a Honda employee so I can get a good price on the Odyssey but if I'm getting a vehicle that is prone to reliability issues, I'll just spend less money.

What are you guys with more miles on your 4th gen or late 3rd gen seeing? Should I be concerned about reliability?

Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
Can you newbies please do a search before posting new threads? Do we really need multiple threads regarding the same subject?!? It really clutters up this board!

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/151932-odyssey-touring-transmission-issues.html

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/153141-anyone-not-having-transmission-issues.html

The short answer is no, there are no widespread transmission issues with the Honda Odyssey. Heck you're a Honda employee, so have more faith in your brand!!!

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I have been reading all over the internet about how the Honda has been putting crap transmissions in the Odyssey, and there still being issues in the 4th gen models.
Yes, be very worried. When I serviced my car at the dealer there were 3 or 4 brand new Odysseys with blown transmissions (a couple of them were literally dragging it off the car, sparkles and the whole stuff, not sure how they made it) ::rollingeyes:

Less Googling and posting, more time searching

·
Registered
395 Posts
Admin, please shut this type of thread down after telling them where to go. It is annoying and does not do anybody any good.

·
Registered
884 Posts
My Happy, you're happy today.
Checked my own dealership. Looks like about a 100 brand new ones in the same condition. That's twice the number they sold. Spun by the Toyota and Chrysler lots for a comparison. I counted 102 Siennas and 104 Grand Caravans all with similar issues. I guess the Odyssey is the best of the "lots"

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure there's a soft ere update to address the ones with the transmission hanging off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes you should be concerned about the tranny issue especially the tranny on the odyssey.

Come on Honda , you should learn by now how to make a transmission

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes you should be concerned about the tranny issue especially the tranny on the odyssey.

Come on Honda , you should learn by now how to make a transmission
I agree. Older models are famous for transmission failure. I know first hand. My old one broke. I often see older Odysseys at a local transmission shop. Has Honda learned how to make a transmission yet? Do not think so.
Motorweek noted in episode 3126 that towards the end of the test at 23831 miles "roughness from the tranny's torque converter". This was the six speed AT in the 2011 Touring Elite.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to Odyclub. Very sorry about the rude replies to your request.

·
Registered
15 Posts
this is a very important issue in my decision as well so hopefully more posters that are knowledgeable will answer.
from the tranny link posted above, no one has answered if this is more widespread with the 6-speed(Touring) than the 5-speed because it's buried in the amount of pages so starting a new thread is appropriate.

correct me if wrong, but what I've read so far is there's a software update to address the 6-speed tranny Only but no word if anyone has had problems since the change...
and there has Not been widespread issues with the 5-speed so no update necessary

Originally Posted by blkody11
Question: Now are we only talking about 6 speed transmission? Or is the 5 speed trannys defective as well?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just buy a sienna.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Get the touring with the 6 speed if you can, its been getting much better reviews and its butter smooth. Newer type of transmission and no issues that I've heard of to date.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Get the touring with the 6 speed if you can, its been getting much better reviews and its butter smooth. Newer type of transmission and no issues that I've heard of to date.
You gotta type in sarcasm or otherwise let people know. It's hard to hear sarcasm on the internet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah. I know. Sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda Employee ??
I had 05 touring with 240K miles, got risk of it last year . And just about to get 2012 Ody EX-L for $31,800 at Sheenhy Honda, might pick up tomorrow at Hendrick Honda if they are willing to match the price. what's good deal are you going to get as employee?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I took delivery of a '12 Touring today. 250 miles of hilly terrain later, I averaged 27 mpg. The transmission was like butter up and down the hills...the transitions were impressive. Granted it's fresh out of the box..........but I'm impressed so far!

odysseyy.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about it. You hear about the bad ones on the internet, but you never hear about the majority of Odysseys that don't have issues. I bought my '12 Touring Elite from a Honda dealer that I just happen to work for the same dealer group, but at a Hyundai store. I know the service manager pretty well and play golf with him a couple times a year. I asked him about the transmission issues on the 6 speeds, he said he hardly ever has complaints on them. Now, whether he was being honest, of feeding me a line of ****, I don't know. I bought the HondaCare 8yr/120k extended warranty just to be sure. I typically don't keep a car that long, but with as many miles as the wife racks up on her cars nowadays, I went ahead and bought it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts