Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at used Odysseys. Should I stay away from the 2004 model year due to all the transmission problems?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
You should go for a 2005 or later. Some late 2004's have the improved transmission, but it's tough to identify which ones have it. A 2007 or later would be even better. They have a completely redesigned transmission.

·
Registered
249 Posts
^ To add to Dave's point, avoid buying the first year of a new model cycle (like for most cars) where the bugs haven't been worked out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
^ To add to Dave's point, avoid buying the first year of a new model cycle (like for most cars) where the bugs haven't been worked out.
And if you do buy a first year model like most of us here and plan to keep it a while, go pick up an extended warranty. You can get a 8 yr/120K Hondacare warranty for $1299, 0 deductible.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should go for a 2005 or later. Some late 2004's have the improved transmission, but it's tough to identify which ones have it. A 2007 or later would be even better. They have a completely redesigned transmission.
Is it possible to tell by the VIN number which ones have the improved transmission? The owner of the van I found says he has never had transmission problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is it possible to tell by the VIN number which ones have the improved transmission? The owner of the van I found says he has never had transmission problems.
Never had an Ody to reference here, but had an older TL with transmission issues. The service dept should be able to tell you based on Vin #. GL

·
Registered
755 Posts
we were actually very happy with our 05 touring. Even though it was the very first 3rd gen redesigned model, i believe 05(and maybe 06) models were the only ones that have full leather seats. 07+ models did receive redesigned trannys, but they have issues with TC a lot more than 05 and 06 models. So i guess its your pick!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Geez, ignore some of these silly people. If you can afford it, go for at least a 3rd gen Odyssey or newer. While there are some aspects of Gen 2 that are great, the 3rd gen is a bit bigger with some newer technology. Additionally, if you ever want to resell or trade in, you'll do better with a more recent generation. You can get some good deals on 2006s and 2007s.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had an '05 EX with over 80K miles that I just sold to buy my '11. Never had a single hiccup with the transmission, personally. However, I did have the transmission fluid serviced at 30K and 60K. Preventive maintenance may have played a key...

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Geez, ignore some of these silly people. If you can afford it, go for at least a 3rd gen Odyssey or newer. While there are some aspects of Gen 2 that are great, the 3rd gen is a bit bigger with some newer technology. Additionally, if you ever want to resell or trade in, you'll do better with a more recent generation. You can get some good deals on 2006s and 2007s.
For the benefit of the OP, 2nd generation Odyssey is 1999 to 2004; 3rd generation is 2005 to 2010.

+1 for the points made by lori_cohen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts