Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brand-new to the forum... We are shopping for used Odyssey, and found an '08 that looks interesting last night.

What would be the most critical things to verify or potential problems to look at on this model?
I did not catch exact trim level, but looks like the basic one, I think (cloth, no roof rails or power doors).

Researching here , I already found the wonderful list of TSBs!
I also read about the ABS control system. Was that a recall presumably done on all cars by now?

Sorry about not being very coherent or gracious, this car change-over is driving me crazy -former car is kaput... I will introduce myself better, especially if we buy said Ody!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Brand-new to the forum... We are shopping for used Odyssey, and found an '08 that looks interesting last night.

What would be the most critical things to verify or potential problems to look at on this model?
I did not catch exact trim level, but looks like the basic one, I think (cloth, no roof rails or power doors).

Researching here , I already found the wonderful list of TSBs!
I also read about the ABS control system. Was that a recall presumably done on all cars by now?

Sorry about not being very coherent or gracious, this car change-over is driving me crazy -former car is kaput... I will introduce myself better, especially if we buy said Ody!!
Welcome!

Yes, all recalls should have been done, on all vans to which they apply, by now. You need to check if the van you have in your sights is in the affected range.

TSBs are different, think of them as tech manual add-ons for very specific problems that were uncovered after specific vans were sold. They are only done if the van has the specific problem. You can print and review them and check if your van is in the affected range and has each of the specific problems. If your van is under the main 3 years warranty, all TSBs are performed free of charge (I think...), otherwise you need to talk it over with the seller.

Good luck!

Nicolas

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the 2008 odyssey Lx with 22K for 18.5K + tax etc., I had problem with
TSB 10-042 Clunking, Popping, or Clicking While Turning
Applies To: 2007–09 Odyssey – ALL
2010 Odyssey – From VIN 5FNRL3...AB000001 thru 5FNRL3...AB028891
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A10-042.PDF

Dealer fixed it with powertrain warrany. other than that looks good on lx model
this info may be helpfull.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks vb, I had read your posts on the subject.

It looks like the VIN ends in B103_ _ _, so I would be out of the range covered by the TSB, if I read it right.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Another useful thing to look at is have the show/prove all the maintenance was done to it. We just purchased an 06 Touring and the previous owner had the majority of the oil change receipts and ALL dealership recall/TSB/repair records up the the very day that I purchased the van.

Big thing on the odysseys that I keep reading about is transmission issues so when I purchased our van the first thing I went and looked it was the condition of the tranny fluid. If the tranny fluid appears clean/new and doesn't smell burnt AND the tranny shifts smoothly without any bumps and weird shift patterns you're probably fine.

Big tell tale sign I DO watch for in vans is whether or not there is a tow hitch and if it was a dealer installed Honda hitch or an aftermarket one. Why is this important? Honda dealer installed hitches requires as part of the install to maintain warranty a secondary transmission fluid cooler and power steering cooler. Honda service states that its a MUST have whenever a trailer hitch is added.

I've seen too often on van here where the owner added a trailer hitch but no cooling package which means a possible abused/overheated/burned tranny.

People install trailer hitches for a reason b/c they want the option of being able to tow something. If done right and the appropriate add-ons are installed then probably not a big deal.

Some folks add a hitch to haul bicycles around using a bike hitch rack but its something that I still pay close attention to in case they towed something heavy with their van.

Just something I personally look for when buying any van.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ouch, I overlooked that issue!

Thanks stevecivic.
A dealer is offering this car, which has an impact on pricing. They offer an in-house 'lifetime" powertain warranty..

No hitch present on the van... BUT we would like to tow a 15 ft boat at some point, for short distances (slow, 5 miles?). So, to do it right, and retain factory and dealer warranty, a number of components would have to be added, affecting the price we can offer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What to look for in a van

Get them to put a p/s cooler and the tranny cooler and you'll be fine. Change fluids often and make sure and recalls and possible tsbs are looked after.

Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as evaluating a used Ody, any critical dashboard indicators to watch, besides the obvious D Light and CEL behavior over a short drive (good enough?)

·
Registered
198 Posts
the dreaded traction control light. Used accords from 99-2002 used to have the TCS light come on and that was an indication of transmission troubles.

Nothing else that I can think of at this very moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts