Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the reviews, I knew the Odyssey was the van that best met our needs. But I was trying to determine whether the extra $2000 for the navigator was worth it...

We've only had the van for a week and a half, so maybe it's partly the "honeymoon phase", but my wife and I both want to drive the van instead of my other car... which is an Infiniti Q45. I love the Q, but the main reason I like driving the Ody is because of the navigator. I really consider it my "partner" in getting me to places I didn't even know about...

Two examples. One, we were running late to visit a friend who had just gotten home from the hospital. We hadn't gotten a card of gift yet. On the way, we pulled up places-category-shopping-grocery/convenience store and sorted by distance. We found one less than a mile from our (then current location) although we didn't know the area. It saved us a lot of time!

A second example - demonstrates the good and bad, I guess - my wife is pregnant and sometimes get cravings, usually for an ice-cream related "food product". Anyway, for quite awhile she'd been craving something rather specific, a reese-pieces sundae with peanut and fudge sauce from Friendlys. Pulled up Friendly's on the navigator, found one reasonably close by, and received perfect directions... only the Friendly's wasn't there. (Closed down). Had we called the number listed, we would have known. Anyway, the craving was stronger than the disappointment, so we punched up the next closest Friendly's... good news, only a little over 8 miles away!!! Well, sort of... as noted in the manual, that's "as the crow flies"... but somewhat over 12 miles as the Ody drives. It was the most beautiful 12 miles, though, on roads we had never before been on and would NEVER have found on our own... we enjoyed it so much that we later talked about deliberately going to the wrong place, punching up the location again, just to get the same routing! (jk!) Anyway, it was fun and something we would never have been able to do without the navigator.

Final example - I've been taking my kids to school for awhile now, but found out there is a more direct way with fewer lights - courtesy of the Ody/navi again. Then I needed to go that same way because it was even more direct to my wife's ultrasound appointment, but I was "trapped" without the Ody... oh dear, what to do? Yes, that's right, I called my wife who programmed the school into the navigator, then reversed the directions back for me... perfect! We ended up not being late after all!

The bottom line is, having it onboard and using it can fundamentally change the way you think about driving. Now I get irritated when people start to give directions! I'm like, just give me the phone number of the place, we'll find it! Give me the address, we'll find it!

Some people may have a different experience... but for us, it has really been great. We live in a detailed coverage area and most of the places we go to are also in a detailed area, so it helps us a lot. By the way, I noticed that my version of the DVD says version 2.04, rather than 2.03. Don't know what the difference(s) is/are.

·
1,484 Posts
Great examples BigRob! You made me feel better about getting my EX converted to a NAVI. Not that I wasn't already feeling good about it - but your stories where the icing on the cake - actually more like a reese-pieces sundae
. My favorite parts are how you and your wife fight over the Odyssey and how you asked her to give you directions in reverse. That's classic! I hope your future adventures (excuse me Odysseys) are as fun and entertaining as these.

Happy Driving!

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
148 Posts
Personally, I would lease a Navigator but not an Odyssey.

I would ALWAYS lease any new car or a car I feel would not last (ie: Navigator)

I had the first Lexus Gs400 (17inch, Nakamichi, HID, etc) in 1998. My first lease, new car. 56k, who knows if it will last. So I leased it.

3 years later, no problems. Bought it for $30k. Should run till it falls off.

Oh, I should mention before my GS400, I had a Land Rover Discovery (new) -- and I bought it. I think I put about 10k into servicing that lemon for 2 years.

Land Rover charges ~$800 to change 2 brakes. Very exciting. Complaining will get you nowhere.

Run, do not walk from any Land Rovers.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toyman:
Personally, I would lease a Navigator but not an Odyssey.

I would ALWAYS lease any new car or a car I feel would not last (ie:Navigator)
</font>
Toyman - I think the discussion is about whether to get the Odyssey EX with or without the factory navigation system (EX-NAVI); not purchasing a Lincoln Navigator.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is correct, I was not referring to Lincoln Navigator, I was of course referring to the NAVI option which I love...

·
Registered
27 Posts
LMAO.

When I originally looked at used Odyssey's, I was disappointed by the fact that, in my price range, I could only seem to find paperbacks.

[This message has been edited by tvvinkie (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did anyone consider the Garmin StreetPilot III GPS? It looks pretty good in color and will provide voice turn-by-turn assistance. It costs between $750 to $850.

------------------
'01 Starlight Silver EX
Totally Newbie now, but learning quick.

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OddyNewbie:
Did anyone consider the Garmin StreetPilot III GPS? It looks pretty good in color and will provide voice turn-by-turn assistance. It costs between $750 to $850.

</font>
Yes. It is fantastic for a portable unit. Don't kid yourself into thinking it is the same as one that is integrated, and has a touch-screen though.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
585 Posts
....or have the EXTREMELY EASY (did I mention its easy?) GUI. My 4 year old understands how it works as well as my wife.

Ok, I didn't mean that the way it came out...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes...to make it the most obvious how I feel: I own a StreetPilot III, and I'm ordering an EXL-NAV.

Truly, the SP III is fantastic. But when you have to spell something by scrolling through the alphabet each time...it just gets tedious. Now, I DO wish the Honda NAV would lay out the alphabet keys in keyboard fashion. I can't never find the damn letter I want in alphabetical order. I mean really...who's gonna order a NAV who doesn't use a computer every day?

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
But when you have to spell something by scrolling through the alphabet each time...it just gets tedious. Now, I DO wish the Honda NAV would lay out the alphabet keys in keyboard fashion. I can't never find the damn letter I want in alphabetical order. I mean really...who's gonna order a NAV who doesn't use a computer every day?
</font>
I think it is cool that as you spell out a city, street name, place name, etc., the letters that are not needed based on the database of actual names are greyed out. Only the letters that are actual valid next letters may be keyed. I love showing people that feature.

I have never found the alpha layout vs. QWERTY keyboard layout to be a problem. In fact, I never even thought about it until I read the last post.

One reason for not doing the QWERTY layout may be space. The NAV screen would probably have to be much wider to accommodate the layout. A computer keyboard's letters are arranged on three fairly wide rows. Would that fit on the NAV screen?

------------------

2001 EX-NAVI, SS
1997 Accord EX-L, Forest Green
Previous Hondas:
1992 Accord EX, White
1982 Accord DX, Silver

1 - 12 of 12 Posts