Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
After hearing so many people moan and groan about problems, the bottom line is that it's your friend. I have people at work that would absolutely never sell their car to anyone at work for that reason, they are afraid of any potential issues. The van is what it is, it will break when it wants to break. Whether it's a 10 year old car or a 1 year old car, do you think the owner has control over it? Get it inspected to your satisfaction, but don't hope that it's going to be a car that will put your kids through college. Things will have to break eventually, but any good car will last a long time. If I had my neighbor offer me something like this and already thinks it's not worth it, they are doing you a favor. Unless they actually know something is weird.. ask them what is the amount that would make her happy.. and take it. My 06 odyssey is going to hit 200K now. I'd certainly say a 2010 model which is newer will have at best parts that aren't as rusty.. rubber that isn't as dry. Still we take our odyssey on all the big family trips because it's the most comfortable beater car.

So.. it's been a couple weeks. Did you get it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi All,

Thank you all so much for weighing in on this. Your comments really helped me sort this out in my mind.

So what did I do? I offered her $2000 and she accepted. At that price, I am comfortable knowing how much I will have to spend for the 200k mile service. Thank you also for pointing out other things I should have them inspect, service, or replace. She goes in for that service tomorrow...

As to the friendship, I feel like she told me everything she knew about it, gave me ample opportunity to look it over, and accepted my low-ball offer knowing what the scheduled maintenance would cost. If something breaks a month from now, or there are surprises revealed tomorrow, I will not hold that against her.

I'm looking forward to moving the family around in comfort on the coming weekends. I will continue to use my fantastic '06 Accord for my very long work commute. But if something interesting comes up on Craigslist along that route, I'm glad to know that I can switch to the Odyssey and have no trouble getting it home (I look for old BMW motorcycle bits, stainless steel medical cabinets/tables, interesting MCM office furniture). I'm sure I will be back on the forum next week reading up on the VCM, VSA, TPMS, and many more topics....

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dude don't listen to much negativity , you BETTER BUY THAT VAN ! 200,00 miles is much of nothing . The van is 9+ years old , and she bought it in 2014 with 40,000 miles . She's driven it 32,000 miles a year since purchased , which is normal if that's her only car and means that if any issues came up while she owned it she's repaired . So you got a dvd screen , back up camera , leather in a Odyssey that's only been owned by two people ? Even if you got to do SOME work , it's worth fixing ... Dude if you got the money , BUY IT FOR THAT PRICE !!!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
He did buy it. See post #22. (FWIW, I would not say 32,000 miles per year is normal mileage. IMHO, that is about double what I consider normal annual mileage.)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
21 Participants
thscott
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing