Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it difficult to remove the console panel?

I plan to replace the in dash cup holder with a factory ashtray so that I'll have a lighted storage with extra accessory plug. However, the console panel and the stereo head unit need to be removed during the installation. I don't want to risk breaking any one of those ten clips while prying out the console panel. My question is: How difficult is it to remove the console panel? Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Try this, from the Grand Master's photo gallery. His pics are the first place to look for visuals on how to do stuff!!!

-SJ

http://www.fototime.com/inv/E5EF2F60BF78337

Click on the third from the bottom topic, entitled "Center Dash Panel Removal"

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had mine off this weekend to install a cell phone bracket. I found that is was easier to release the one clip under the fog light switch cover by pullng through the hole with my index fingers. I then pryed from the bottom using 8 fingers. It came out very easily.

Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Are you refering to the center dash panel where the A/C controls are?</font>
Yes. What're your suggestions, Nestor?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Try this, from the Grand Master's photo gallery. His pics are the first place to look for visuals on how to do stuff!!!</font>
Thanks, SJ. I think Chuck should consider publishing an "Total Illustration Manual for Odyssey."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I found that is was easier to release the one clip under the fog light switch cover by pullng through the hole with my index fingers. I then pryed from the bottom using 8 fingers. It came out very easily.</font>
Using 8 fingers? Do you mean that you pry the bottom clips all at once-- instead of one by one?

It seems that no one suggests Honda's "using a small flat-tip screwdriver around a shop towel" or "wrapping the screwdriver with protective tape" methods. And, removing that panel doesn't seem to be too difficult for you, right?

·
1,484 Posts
Well I reach around the side of the panel next to the steering wheel column and pull. This might not be for everyone. But if you got slender fingers like me then you're good to go! Here's a tip - push the steering wheel column upward to get the most room for your fingers.

-Nestor

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody2002:
Using 8 fingers? Do you mean that you pry the bottom clips all at once-- instead of one by one?

It seems that no one suggests Honda's "using a small flat-tip screwdriver around a shop towel" or "wrapping the screwdriver with protective tape" methods. And, removing that panel doesn't seem to be too difficult for you, right?

</font>
That's exactly it. Using my fingers close together, I was able to exert enough friction/grip to pop off the clips along the bottom and then the right side. I then worked along the top and over to the end by the column. IIRC, the lower side by the column had popped out already but I had the shifter in 1st gear as per instructions. The plan was for the clips to pop one at a time, but 3-4 came at once.

The hardest part was getting the switch cover off. I used the screwdriver with the shop towel and still managed to put a couple of small marks on the panel.

Good Luck

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
But if you got slender fingers like me then you're good to go! Here's a tip - push the steering wheel column upward to get the most room for your fingers.

-Nestor
</font>
No prolem! I'll borrow the best tool in my house: my wife's fingers...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robr2:
That's exactly it. Using my fingers close together, I was able to exert enough friction/grip to pop off the clips along the bottom and then the right side. I then worked along the top and over to the end by the column. IIRC, the lower side by the column had popped out already but I had the shifter in 1st gear as per instructions. The plan was for the clips to pop one at a time, but 3-4 came at once.

The hardest part was getting the switch cover off. I used the screwdriver with the shop towel and still managed to put a couple of small marks on the panel.

Good Luck
</font>
Thanks. You guys are more helpful than the Honda manual!

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Well I reach around the side of the panel next to the steering wheel column and pull. This might not be for everyone. But if you got slender fingers like me then you're good to go! Here's a tip - push the steering wheel column upward to get the most room for your fingers.

-Nestor
</font>
Slender fingers? You weren't kidding about that. I can only get two fingers in that spot!
It works just fine for me anyway. Only thing is, I was unprepared for the amount of force it took to release the clips the first time I did this. Now that I've had the facia off a couple of times, it's a lot easier.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
Slender fingers? You weren't kidding about that. I can only get two fingers in that spot!
It works just fine for me anyway. Only thing is, I was unprepared for the amount of force it took to release the clips the first time I did this. Now that I've had the facia off a couple of times, it's a lot easier.

</font>
Yeah, the first time always takes the most force to get it off. But after that it's a breeze!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

1 - 12 of 12 Posts