Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any easy way to change the 12V to rear accessory jack (above the jack storage area) to be always-on? I have some low-draw accessories that I would like to plug in that jack so they can get charged/powered when the car is off/parked.

I know could run a lead to the battery and fuse it, but that's a lot of cable to run/molding to remove to do that. I was hoping there was a 12v line in the area I could safely tap. This Ody does NOT have a trailer towing package on it (some of those packages bring a 12v from the battery to the trailer harnness to charge the trailer battery).

Thank you.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You can try to tap from the dome light at the back but I dont have a clue what fuse is it under that will not blow when you plug in those accessories.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the 2005 have the inverter option? Is the inverter only turn on with the key? I would think the power wire for the inverter might be in that rear side compartment.

·
Registered
157 Posts
this REALLY pissed me off too........having to turn on the ignition to charge something is such a pain. i killed the battery just by wanting to charge my iphone and ipod speakers during a camping trip. I guess every manufacturer has dropped the ball in some way or another. i'm gunna be doing a lot of research on this fix because this is BS Honda!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, My Olds Silhouette had both front and rear power supplies that were always live. I sure miss having them and my auto on headlights. Now after trading it in on my 06 EX-L Res I sure wish Honda had stepped up and followed this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Greatest invention ever.
+1

Also, It has been a while since I did a Honda electrical hack, but I think you can use the hot lead that is already running, and fused, and just connect to a different ground (run the ground to a nearby bolt) to get a constant on connection... I think it works that way... again, been a while since I did it. But we did something very similar for an aftermarket accessory I put in my trunk in a 91 Accord.

BB.

·
Registered
157 Posts
right on!!! anyone else do this mod or any other??? tia

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm installing head rest monitors and will be running power from a fuse box this weekend (hopefully). I'll post the results when I finish.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This actually makes you angry? People are dying because their corrupt governments are profiting off humanitarian food aid, and THIS makes you angry? Raise your head, and open your eyes.
geezus christ....there always one in a foum

·
Registered
411 Posts
Isn't there? Get an education. And I'm not talking about your poor grammar.
Let's not turn this forum into the typical pissing contest found in other fora. Stick to the point and leave politics, religion, attitude and superstitions out of it. :nothappy:

If you just have to scream about starving babies and corrupt governments, go visit Off Topic and have a go there. Here, we're talking tech, and we don't really give a crap about man's inhumanity to man. :tongue:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also, you should always ground on the chassis and not at the battery. If the battery ground came loose, all the ground current would be fed through that little ground wire you just made which, unless it's a 4 or 2 gauge wire, would most likely over heat.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Hey 3rd Geners! 2nd Geners have been tapping into the 20 amp power seat circuits and installing aux sockets under the seat. Is that not an option in the 3rd Gen? Do a search if you need to see specifics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very helpful

Yes, I love these too. I will be using one if I need to make a run to the front.

Greatest invention ever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just a thought. Does your van have the power lift gate? That circuit is live engine on or off, and probably is a decent power rating, you could potentially tap into that. It would be in the right place.

BB.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts