Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me diagnose this noise? It's a constant grinding noise that sounds like a wheel bearing, but I've replaced them both, one in early '07 and the other 2 weeks ago with new axles as well. The noise occurs at all speeds and increases with speed. It occurs whether the engine is under load or not, tranny in gear or neutral.

It's at 163K on its third tranny. First replacement at 68K, second at 117K. I experienced the slipping and hard shifts on the first two, but so far this one still shifts fine. I have done single drain and refills every 5,000 miles since 117K. Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
13,504 Posts
EricW said:
Can anyone help me diagnose this noise? It's a constant grinding noise that sounds like a wheel bearing, but I've replaced them both, one in early '07 and the other 2 weeks ago with new axles as well. The noise occurs at all speeds and increases with speed. It occurs whether the engine is under load or not, tranny in gear or neutral.

It's at 163K on its third tranny. First replacement at 68K, second at 117K. I experienced the slipping and hard shifts on the first two, but so far this one still shifts fine. I have done single drain and refills every 5,000 miles since 117K. Thanks for any advice.
If it occurs while tranny is in neutral too, then it doesn't have anything to do with wheels and axles and wheel bearings I would think. At 105K, were the timing belt and water pump replaced?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Constant grinding from the front

dvpatel said:
If it occurs while tranny is in neutral too, then it doesn't have anything to do with wheels and axles and wheel bearings I would think. At 105K, were the timing belt and water pump replaced?
Are you sure? The wheel bearings would make noise while rolling whether the tranny's in neutral or not. I've eliminated them anyway by replacing them. The timing belt and water pump were done by the dealer around 105K. The noise doesn't change with engine speed, only vehicle speed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hehe, I just realized that I did say the noise occurs at "all speeds", but I should have said all speeds except 0 mph :)

·
Super Moderator
13,504 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Constant grinding from the front

EricW said:
Are you sure? The wheel bearings would make noise while rolling whether the tranny's in neutral or not. I've eliminated them anyway by replacing them. The timing belt and water pump were done by the dealer around 105K. The noise doesn't change with engine speed, only vehicle speed.
Crud. I assumed you meant when the van was standing when you said neutral. If the noise is there while rolling, then its either the bearings or tires. A bad tire could be a culprit too. Was the noise there even before the last rotation? I had Dunlop Sport A2s on my Maxima before the current Yokos and towards the end, they made so much noise that one would think its the bearings but only at slow speeds. I couldn't hear 'em at hwy speeds.

·
Super Moderator
13,504 Posts
EricW said:
Hehe, I just realized that I did say the noise occurs at "all speeds", but I should have said all speeds except 0 mph :)
No no. My mistake. I assumed you were stopped when you mentioned neutral. :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Re: Re: Constant grinding from the front

dvpatel said:
Crud. I assumed you meant when the van was standing when you said neutral. If the noise is there while rolling, then its either the bearings or tires. A bad tire could be a culprit too. Was the noise there even before the last rotation? I had Dunlop Sport A2s on my Maxima before the current Yokos and towards the end, they made so much noise that one would think its the bearings but only at slow speeds. I couldn't hear 'em at hwy speeds.
I'm 99% sure it's not tires. The sound has not changed at all with the last couple of rotations. They are Tripletreds with almost 50K miles on them, but the tread still looks great with no feathering or cupping. It has gotten gradually worse over the last several months, so I thought it was a wheel bearing until I got the other one changed 2 weeks ago.

Does that just leave transmission internals as the culprit? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Before assuming the transmission (which is a possibility), check the front brakes for seizing calipers etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New Dad New Van said:
Before assuming the transmission (which is a possibility), check the front brakes for seizing calipers etc.
Thanks, didn't think about brakes. I'm not having any issues with their operation, though. No dragging or sticking...seem to be working perfectly. Would I still need to check them?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chiody said:
Which wheel bearings did you change out and when done, was there any change in the noise?
Driver's side bearing and axle replaced early '07 due to some vibration (this was the original axle that had survived two bad trannies). Wasn't having the noise at that point, but just had the bearing replaced since it was torn apart.

Pass side bearing and axle (also original) replaced two weeks ago due to noise and vibration. The vibration is somewhat better due to the axle, but the noise did not lessen at all :mad:

Also, tires were rotated and balanced 3 weeks ago and an alignment was done. Van was pulling pretty hard to the left before the alignment and it honestly is still pulling slightly left even after, so I'll be taking it back for that. Appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
I'm going out on the limb to recommend this procedure. Try deflating the tires to 20lbs. and driving only on low traffic roads straight up to about 40 mph and note the noise level, and then try it at 40lbs. psi??? See it there is any difference and report back???

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will do it. That should confirm once and for all whether tires are the issue or not. Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chiody said:
Be careful driving at 20psi......no potholes or quick turns!!!!

;) ;) ;)
In my neck of the woods, it's deer you have to watch out for...I'll keep my eyes peeled :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
So.....what happened?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been too busy and my wife's driving the van, but I will definitely post back with the results. Might be this weekend, though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Performed the tire pressure test this morning...drove about 6 miles at varying speeds up to 60mph with 20psi in all 4 tires. Made a mental note of the noise level and then aired them up to 40psi and drove it again. At first, I didn't notice any difference in the noise...it definitely did not go away with either pressure. But once I reached the cruising speed of 60mph, the noise was somewhat less with 40psi than with 20psi. And when I say somewhat, I mean that I had to concentrate on it because it was still noisy.

Another thing I noticed is that the noise doesn't exactly increase in volume with speed as I stated earlier. It gets louder from 0 to about 50mph and then slightly decreases as you go beyond 50. There is a faint pulsing to the sound which increases in frequency with speed as to be almost unnoticeable (the pulse, not the noise) above 60mph.

The test doesn't feel conclusive to me. What do you all think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 07 with 33,500 miles and have the same issue. I brought it back to the dealership while it's under warranty. They replaced the torque convertecr to no avail. Returned it again, and this time drove the tech so he could hear the grinding noise. He thought it could be the transmission. I received a call later that day saying that they re-created the noise in a another Oddyssey, same year ans close mileage. Said that their tech support could provide no further assistance and that we should just continue to drive it until the noise gets louder or a problem develops. Nice advice! Have you had any luck determining what the noise is?

·
Super Moderator
13,504 Posts
cookiemon said:
I have an 07 with 33,500 miles and have the same issue. I brought it back to the dealership while it's under warranty. They replaced the torque convertecr to no avail. Returned it again, and this time drove the tech so he could hear the grinding noise. He thought it could be the transmission. I received a call later that day saying that they re-created the noise in a another Oddyssey, same year ans close mileage. Said that their tech support could provide no further assistance and that we should just continue to drive it until the noise gets louder or a problem develops. Nice advice! Have you had any luck determining what the noise is?
In light of you issue, since you are still below 36K if I were you, I'd get the extended warranty to cover yourself in case the issue is something big. You can look at the warranty forum for online sellers. There aren't very many days left for online warranty purchases. Hopefully you are within 3 years of purchase date.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts