Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the Odyssey is not doing so well with the model change from Consumer Reports predicted reliability ratings. My 2007 has had several recalls, but is very dependable. I wonder if things will improve this year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks like the Odyssey is not doing so well with the model change from Consumer Reports predicted reliability ratings. My 2007 has had several recalls, but is very dependable. I wonder if things will improve this year.
So far mine has been quite reliable with 10,000 miles. I'm sure that a large part of the problem is that Consumer Reports is reporting the two recalls that were put out for the Odyssey. Also, the problem with the front suspension (that warranted a TSB) would bring down the Odyssey's score. The 2008 Odyssey was rated average, but in its second year the 2008 moved up to above average because Consumer Reports got more data.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
True, they rate the new Ody lower than the Sienna for predicted reliability. But they rate the Ody superior for interior fit and finish. I would take an occasional trip back to the dealer over having to constantly look at a cheap dash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I could care less what CR has to say. I'm more a fan of Car and Driver ratings. Car and Driver is for rating cars. Consumer reports is for rating appliances.

·
Registered
118 Posts
20,000 miles with zero problems. This is really a fabulous vehicle. I am impressed every day I drive it.

I still can't believe a vehicle this size can get 29mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
400 Posts
here also, 7K with zero problem!! lets wait a couple of years to make it really conclusive

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am starting to wondering about consumer report credential...
Hate to disagree. But I think Consumer Reports is finally getting it right. I'm just surprised it took them so long !

I bought a 2001 Odyssey new, based on Consumer Reports. 3rd transmission,
engine mounts, sliding door problems. dash lights difficult to replace, etc.

Just read the many posts on this site, and how Honda of America, treats the "loyal" customers.

You have to wait a few years/miles, for the issues to pop up. Hope, things are better for the new cars.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Well, I had a few issues with our Odyssey, so it's not the perfect vehicle. So far it was fairly minor things, no road side breakdowns, but the van is not faultless.

Hate to disagree. But I think Consumer Reports is finally getting it right. I'm just surprised it took them so long !

I bought a 2001 Odyssey new, based on Consumer Reports. 3rd transmission,
engine mounts, sliding door problems. dash lights difficult to replace, etc.

Just read the many posts on this site, and how Honda of America, treats the "loyal" customers.

You have to wait a few years/miles, for the issues to pop up. Hope, things are better for the new cars.
It's true that Honda is a little harsh on their customers, (I had to deal with them about my Circus glass / warped windshield) but the reports compares it against rivals, so perhaps other manufacturers treat their customers the same way.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I think one of the main problems has always been Consumer Reports as an entity. Their methodologies, testers and number crunchers work so isolated from each other and they have so many areas to cover that you can read a lot of confusing reviews coming from them daily. Just check this CR review, Are we sure they are testing a 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L?

No excuse for Honda though, quality is not where they claim it to be

·
Registered
174 Posts
Interesting video.... Didn't see why it wouldn't be an EX-L with Nav? It did show fog lights early in the video and the last shot does not have them - huh? I always take CR with a large grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Didn't see why it wouldn't be an EX-L with Nav?
Exterior: wheels, mirrors with markers, fogs, glossy finish pillars, translucent liftgate garnish
Interior: parking sensors beep while getting close to an object on reverse

You are correct, they seem to be mixing the trims along the video, not sure what is the reason, but misleading nonetheless (many might not care though)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Consumer Reports Dings New Ford Models

I found a bit more info, extracted the reference to the Odyssey:

Of the 91 Japanese models with sufficient data, 87 (or 96 percent) were rated average or better in predicted reliability; 24 Japanese models earned the highest rating. Mazda showed the biggest improvement, moving up eight spots from last year and having all models rate above average. Toyota retained its sixth overall position with every Toyota model except the all-wheel-drive Sienna minivan scoring average or better. Honda had just one below-average vehicle, the redesigned Odyssey minivan.

[Edmunds Auto Observer]

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am starting to wondering about consumer report credential...
I don't pay much attention to it. I've had cars and products that were rated badly, do quite well for me and cars and products that were highly rated, do poorly.. go figure? I could be wrong, but I believe their reliability ratings is only based on the paid subscribers that actually fill out the surveys. It's not accurate.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a former CR subscriber I know their reliability info is based off of survey returns. As a former VW Passat owner I know it was always rated pooly in CR. We had a great experience with our VW. I agree with the previous posts that first year reliability is generally lower in any new or majorly redesigned model. I will be interested to see if there is a difference in 2012.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe that Consumer Reports is a very accurate, well intended publication but there is no doubt in my mind that their ratings for the Odyssey are inaccurate, simply because of the fact that first year models have a few problems initially which makes them look bad in the surveys. I'd bet that the 2011 Odyssey will be average or above average when the results are published in a year, much like what happened with the 2008 which was rated average in its first year and above average in its second. The survey needs more data to become accurate, and as time goes by it will get more data.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts