Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did this on my 2001 Odyssey front control arms. It was pretty easy.
- Used an impact wrench to take the bolts out where the control arm attaches to the frame.
- Sprayed my ball joints with liquid wrench to loosen it a bit.
- Hit the knuckle near the ball joint with a 4lb mallet. It took about 10 hits to get the arm to fall out.
- Worked the control arm out of the vehicle.
- Drilled a hole in each bushing large enough to get a jigsaw blade through.
- Cut the bushing around the metal sleeve using a jigsaw.
- Cut into the bushing cup that presses into the control arm.
- Hit the bushing cup out with a punch.
- Pressed the new bushings into the control arm. Used grease in the control arm sockets before pressing the bushings in. I used a piece of pipe that just fit on the outside edge of the metal part of the bushing. Used a C-clamp to press the bushing in.
- Installed the control arm in the vehicle. When installing the control arm in the vehicle put the rear control arm bushing in the vehicle first by placing a bolt through the control arm and frame mount. Then swing it around and install the front and ball joint.

Here is a link to the process on a different car. (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=154137)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just replaced the bushings and ball joints on my 2000. The back bushing were rotten and torn. When I would make a slow turn the suspension would creek and was getting wear on the outer edges of my tires. Now all the noise is gone and the van is back to drive good.
Also replaced the sway bar bushings, they were worn out by 2mm. Fairly easy job.

Taking off the controls arms it a pretty easy. Remeber to torq the bolts when the full weight is back on the van.

As far as parts, it's almost worth the extra money to just buy new control arms. Rock Auto has a good price on them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts