Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought our 2nd Odyssey, a 2010 EX-L RES. We were due for a new vehicle to replace a Pontiac Montana w/110k on the clicker. While the Ody is light years ahead of the Montana in terms of comfort and quality, there are some things I miss.

1. Automatic headlights - anyone know of a mod or way to accomplish this?

2. Speed variable volume on radio (i.e. the radio gets quieter when you slow down...though maybe this was just a used to cover up how loud the old van was!)

3. Driver information Center - tells you the instant/average fuel economy, and other info.

4. Seatbelt chime - is there any way to disable the seatbelt chime.?

Thanks

·
Registered
606 Posts
I hear you. Love the DIC, trip computers, smart interior lights as well. And I was surprised to see my van has a requirement for timing belt and valve adjustment. The owners' manual did not really say what the schedule was, just told about the goofy little way it indicates maintenance. I like it but I'm still wondering if I made the right choice....:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, it appears we have similar tastes..I was an olds guy back in the day! And the Sky is definitely on the want list!

·
Registered
112 Posts
redly1 said:
We recently bought our 2nd Odyssey, a 2010 EX-L RES. We were due for a new vehicle to replace a Pontiac Montana w/110k on the clicker. While the Ody is light years ahead of the Montana in terms of comfort and quality, there are some things I miss.

2. Speed variable volume on radio (i.e. the radio gets quieter when you slow down...though maybe this was just a used to cover up how loud the old van was!)

3. Driver information Center - tells you the instant/average fuel economy, and other info.

Thanks
I think you will grow to really like the ODY. We traded a 99 Venture for our '08, then just traded our '08 for a '10 due to a deal we couldn't refuse.

1. Try a little searching. Search for "auto lights" would have taken you here http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47091&highlight=adding+auto+lights

This mod was on my '08 (original write up) and now on my '10.

2. I don't miss it anymore

3. Agree...hopefully the '11 will have something

4. Buckle up before you start the car...no more chime!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Tourings are the only ones with a DIC. It's really surprising that the other models don't have something like that 'cause it's almost standard on economy cars, too!

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
redly1 said:

Like michaelj3 said search for a DIY for adding the 545T to get automatic lights.

redly1 said:
Hondas are loud too. Don't think you can get this feature in OEM Honda radios.

redly1 said:
Get a Touring for that.

redly1 said:

Thanks
Like michael3 said, buckle up.

If you are a rebel, search on here for a DIY to disable the chime though I do NOT recommend doing the mod.

Bottomline, try searching harder.

·
Registered
755 Posts
2. These are available on the 3rd gen crvs :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had an 05 Montana SV6 that was a serious dealer queen. We are now in an 05 Odyssey EX.

I guess what I miss most about my Montana was the bi-monthly rental car and never needing to get a car wash because the dealer would always wash it when they returned it from getting an alternator replaced or leak fixed or whatever else was broken.

When we got bored, we would just look through the 10 pages worth of TSB's for it and take it in just to get a rental and car wash.

I guess I also miss seeing what is in the new and used lot at the dealer and talking with the staff because my Odyssey has never been back to the dealer. It's crazy. My Odyssey even starts every time I ask it to and has never been jump started.

While instant MPG would be nice, it starting with my my wife and kids all loaded to go is much nicer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I often wondered why Honda couldn't have put auto lights, the variable volume radio, and the D.I.C. in ALL OF ITS MODELS. Heck, I had an 06 Chevy Uplander, the cheapest model, and it had all of those features. My 09 Ody cost an arm and a leg more than the Chevy did. I have an EX, an it is like I stepped back 10 years in features. If you don't get the upper class models, you get few features. If GM still made a minivan, I would have one now.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well I just returned from a soccer tourney with the family driving our still on sale Olds Silo GLS. Running the AC and driving 68mph to Lake Jackson on flat road my DIC actually computed average of 27.4 mpg - amazing. But its a lot louder than the Oddy, rides crappier, lot less power, worse interior fit and finish.

But the Olds still has original transmission at 200k, original CV joints, steering box and steering pump, hoses, has not needed a timing belt or valves, and the brakes are very good. Doesn't burn oil at all and starts at 200k a lot faster than my newer EX '06.

However, its a nightmare to work on the engine - the Ody looks very open under the hood in comparison, and GM did not address the intake manifold gasket coolant leak issue, seriously irritating customers who owned the 3.4 v6 engine...which just happened to be put in probably 2/3 of the vehicles they made at the time. A factory support and replacement would have gone a long way to customer retention. That and addressing the leaky headlamps and things that were troublesome.

For the era, I think it was decent - Hondas of that time were blowing transmissions left and right, there was issue of steering pull, Fords also had transmission issues, ditto Chrysler. Honda put a bit more work into ergonomics and driving fun and thus was successful in the segment, while the GM versions were a bit of a kludge. I know mine the 2nd row captain chairs did not tilt or anything making it hard to get into the rear.

The SKY project was two wrecked cars and I'm in latter stages of rebuilding one. More later or PM me. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
My '07 Touring has #1 and #3.

EX-L's don't have these?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can install a ScanGuage and it will perform the functions of the driver information center. Engine parameters (temp, spark advance, MAP, manifold temp, RPM, throttle position, fuel flow rate, etc..) as well as fuel mileage info (instant, trip, day, and tank).

It will also read out fault codes and reset them to turn off the Check Engine lamp.

I've got one atop the dash on my '09 EXL. I've used it several times to read fault codes on other vehicles (none have ever come up on the Odyssey).

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
curiousgeorge2 said:
My '07 Touring has #1 and #3.

EX-L's don't have these?
Nope. It's a luxury feature by Honda standards. And in '05 you couldn't get 8 seats in the Touring...so those of us used to such high-end features :rolleyes: had to compromise.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
redly1 said:

Thanks
These are only available on extremely high end luxury cars.....

like a 2010 base model Chevy Cobalt! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts