Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several coils go bad or intermittent lately, bought the aftermarket one from the parts houses, you know the ones.
2 of those have gone bad in the past couple months. Seems to be running OK now, BUT (always a big but in there somewhere), the van will jerk & stutter when at highway speeds, while slowly accelerating through 60-70 mph. If I let off or apply more pedal pressure, it will go away. Does this sound like converter lock-up problems? I have no lights light up on the dash & the TCM light does not illuminate at anytime either. The van has 235k miles on it & the trans has 90k since the last replacement (3 times so far). Installed a hayden cooler on it not long after buying the van in 2002. Have done the 3 dump n fills routinely, about every 30-40k.
Help!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there a way to test the converter / lock-up operation?
I have a OBD-II - PC box on order that can view live data, but will be possibly 2 weeks before I receive it & not sure if I will be able to monitor the things I need to.
Any help on t-shooting this problem appreciated

Rick

·
Registered
664 Posts
The transmission doesn't sound like the issue. I'd look at injectors, coils, valve adjustment, plugs. If you haven't at a valve adjustment I'd start there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i adjusted the valves about 20k ago, plugs look great (Bosch double platinums) checked 1k ago. have run Lucas fuel injector cleaner a couple times over the last 2k or so. could the coils be causing this even though there are no codes being registered?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
rickthefix said:
i adjusted the valves about 20k ago, plugs look great (Bosch double platinums) checked 1k ago. have run Lucas fuel injector cleaner a couple times over the last 2k or so. could the coils be causing this even though there are no codes being registered?
Quite a few posters have complained about the Bosch spark plugs causing missing, etc.
When they switched to NGK, the problems went away.
Buffalo4
PS: You could try the cheaper copper core NGKs and see if they make a difference. Some have run those cheaper NGKs for well over 60k miles.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Take out the Bosch please!

You can also test drive with D4 or D3 as the case may be to disable lock up converter. If the problem goes away, then you have lock-up converter problem.

But it is most likely your Bosch which are giving you the problem.

- Vikas

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's strange, i've run bosch double platinums in this van from 60k when i did my first tune-up. van now has 240k on it. never had a problem with the plugs & always ran fine up until I several coils went bad in a 3 month period.
But what the heck, it's worth spending the $ for new plugs if it will correct this problem. Will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
664 Posts
rickthefix said:
that's strange, i've run bosch double platinums in this van from 60k when i did my first tune-up. van now has 240k on it. never had a problem with the plugs & always ran fine up until I several coils went bad in a 3 month period.
But what the heck, it's worth spending the $ for new plugs if it will correct this problem. Will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks,
Rick
You might have a cracked plug in the bunch.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bought NGK GP plugs yesterday, will install them when the van sits still long enough for me to do the swaps ;-)

rickthefix

1 - 9 of 9 Posts