Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that the first coolant change is at 120K? At least on my '02 it is. I come from the old school of oil changes at 3K and major service every 30K. The last car I bought was a '99 Maxima and the first coolant change is at 60K and every 30K thereafter. I can accept that since now there are long life coolants and on a new engine and cooling system, the coolant will probably last longer. But 120K for the first and every 60K thereafter?!? That just boggles my rational thinking. I mean, even the timing belt gets replaced at 105K and typically the coolant has to be drained to do that. The manual says to inspect the water pump when doing the timing belt change, I'd say most people/reputable shops would change the water pump as preventative maintenance since everything is in reach at one time. Granted, even though it'll be quite some time before I have to worry about it, I'm just curious as to what everyone else thinks.

------------------
Never thought I could get so excited over a minivan!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
[q]I mean, even the timing belt gets replaced at 105K and typically the coolant has to be drained to do that.[/q]

It doesn't have to be drained at the timing belt change, no. They do that primarily to protect your wallet: once they're in there for the TB, they've already done all the labor required for a new water pump ($70) and new accessory belts ($20 each). It's foolhardy to perform the same 3.5 hours of labor twice within 20K miles.

And the severe schedule would have you change the coolant sooner, doesn't it? I don't have my manual in front of me.

So it's at least 105K miles for the coolant. I asked my mechanic about this; he said yes, they know what they're doing on this issue.

I'm like you; I'm used to 30K or so miles on coolant. Newfangled stuff confuses me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
[q]
And the severe schedule would have you change the coolant sooner, doesn't it? I don't have my manual in front of me.
</font>

I believe it's the same for the normal or severe schedule, plus there's a factory sticker under the hood stating the 120K mile coolant change.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Some big rigs don't require a coolant change for 600K with the new coolants. Need an additive boost at 300K, though.

Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts