Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't have the service manual and can't find the Haynes manual for the 3rd gen (2005+) yet. So my question is what is the step by step procedure? Is there a bleeding valve and where is it? I can drain part of it from the radiator, but is there bolts on the engine block that have to be loosened to drain it from there? Hope someone can help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
To Drain -

1. start engine and set heater temp to full hot. After it warms up turn off engine.
  2. remove rad cap
  3. loosen drain plug on rad and drain coolant
  4. Install rubber hose over drain bolt located on rear of engine block. loosen bolt to drain.
  5. Tighten bolt 7-8 ftlb
  6. tighten rad drain
  7. remove, drain and reinstall coolant recovery tank
  8. add coolant to base of filler neck, about 7 liters. add coolant to reserve tank until full.
  9. start engine
  10. warm up until fan comes on twice or more (ac off)
  11. turn off engine
  12. check coolant level
  13. set heater for max heat
  14. 1500 rpm 5 min turn off
  15. check level again
  16. you should not hear water flowing at idle. if it can be heard, you need to repeat steps above.
  17. install rad cap.
  18. fill reservoir to max mark and add .7 liter extra.
  19. Recheck afer driving
    [/list=1]

:cool:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Dirkdaddy,

My advice is never never and never start an engine then start draining coolant. Running the engine for a few minutes without coolant is the formula for disaster.

Simply drain from the bottom of the radiator (if the radiator has a drain cock) or from the Lower Hose.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I believe that DIRKDADDY missed the "OFF" word at the end of line 2, he did this for at the end of line 14. It looked strange to me when I read it too.

This set of instructions is very close to the PDF doc that PVP posted.

·
Registered
613 Posts
thanks I edited my posting. This is from the service manual. As a newbie owner, even looking at the drawing I could not tell where the block drain was, but if looking at engine you should be able to find it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Drain Bolt

Sorry to bring up an old post. I cannot locate the drain bolt at the rear of the engine block. I have a 2006 odyssey. Is it located to right or left side of the rear engine? what other engine components are next to it? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I originated the thread a while ago and did finally changed mine this weekend. Had a hard time finding the drainage bolt, but I was able to find it. It is closer to the passenger side on the back of the engine. You have to look up, since it is not exactly at the bottom of the engine. The bolt itself had a bit of paint on it. I guess the manufacturer marked it a bit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@svezarov
I took out the plastic engine cover and looked from the top of the engine without any success. I was looking from the left side (passenger side) of the engine. Do I have to be under the van to see the drain bolt?
Thanks.

I originated the thread a while ago and did finally changed mine this weekend. Had a hard time finding the drainage bolt, but I was able to find it. It is closer to the passenger side on the back of the engine. You have to look up, since it is not exactly at the bottom of the engine. The bolt itself had a bit of paint on it. I guess the manufacturer marked it a bit.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
@svezarov
I took out the plastic engine cover and looked from the top of the engine without any success. I was looking from the left side (passenger side) of the engine. Do I have to be under the van to see the drain bolt?
Thanks.
Yes, you have to spot it from under the van. It's brass and has a nipple for the drain hose. After you have located it, you should be able to find it by feel from above. I found it's easier to loosen it from above than below.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The block drain valve can be accessed fairly easy from below. Remove the passanger side wheel. The valve has a 12mm nut with a nipple extending out of it. Break the valve loose with a deep 12mm six point socket. Place tubing on the nipple and loosen the valve further with a 12mm open end wrench.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I started this process of bleeding the air out of the rad but got "cold feet" (pun intended - it's cold this week!) when I started seeing the coolant overflowing out of the fill cap as the engine started warming up. Should I expect the coolant to initially overflow? How much?

Just to make sure I understand the instructions, the initial steps 10 to 19 are done with no rad cap - correct? Then the cap is installed loosely for the next set of steps. And finally, the cap is stalled tightly at step 24.

The root issue I'm having with my vehicle is low heat from the front heater and non from the rear. I changed the timing belt and water pump last June but never did this process described above and now that winter is finally here, the van is a cool ride.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Your summary is correct - steps 10 to 19 with no cap, then cap on loose, then tight.

The coolant should not overflow the neck during the cap off steps. (It won't hurt anything, but it will make an unnecessary mess and waste coolant.) Maybe you added too much coolant to start? Add just enough at this point that you can see it, but not to the top of the neck. Leave space for the air to burp out and for the coolant to swirl when the thermostat opens.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
For anybody looking for a more descriptive picture of block drain plug, attached is one from my TB job.
The drain plug is on the passenger side, it is right next to hydraulic tensioner and above inner cv joint of
passenger axle.
In my picture, the hydraulic tensioner is still removed, but you can see two small holes where it attaches.
I attached a clear plastic tube and used line wrench to open the drain. Once you zero in on the right area, you
should see it pretty well.

block drain.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Dave. I ran the procedure last night but unfortunately not before reading your response. I had a real mess to clean up as I would fill it near to the top of the neck. It overflowed every time so I'm not sure if I was refilling to deal with this or was blocked air actually getting out. Unfortunately, I still have no heat from the rear and could use better from the front. I've got some more questions but I'll post them in the correct thread related to interior heat.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was changing the engine oil this weekend. While under the car, I was thinking I may do
the radiator coolant drain/fill next week.
I found the radiator drain valve hidden behind a small 3x3 inch opening of the black plastic cover.
I could touch the valve through the 3x3 hole but I couldn't get enough grip on the valve to turn it.
It looks like I'd have to remove the black plastic cover but I hate to remove those fragile plastic clips.

How did you guys turn the valve ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was changing the engine oil this weekend. While under the car, I was thinking I may do
the radiator coolant drain/fill next week.
I found the radiator drain valve hidden behind a small 3x3 inch opening of the black plastic cover.
I could touch the valve through the 3x3 hole but I couldn't get enough grip on the valve to turn it.
It looks like I'd have to remove the black plastic cover but I hate to remove those fragile plastic clips.

How did you guys turn the valve ?
I have the same issue right now. Were you able to turn the drain plug/valve, without removing the plastic splash guard? If so, please share.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I drained my coolant following these directions: http://www.urvi.net/forums/odyclub/3rdGenCooling.pdf

However, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to run both front and rear heat controls to full hot in step 1. I ran the front full hot and left the rear controls off.

Then I proceeded with the rest of the directions. The rear was always left off. Only in step 22 did I turn the rear on at full hot.

If I was supposed to leave the rear at full hot the whole time of bleeding the system, does this mean that there could be air the system?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You want to turn both the front and rear on max heat - what you are doing is pushing coolant through both heater cores in order to push out the air. I would guess that until you turned it on full hot, there could have been air up in the rear heater core, but when you turned it on coolant would flow up there and would push it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks,
So just to confirm. When the instructions say to cycle between cool and heat, I should set both the front and rear at each step?
1) Set the climate control or heater control panel to maximum cool2) Set the climate control or heater control panel to maximum heat

Its confusing because the rear controls isn't mentioned at all until step 22.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts