Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, every one. I have an 2019 Odyssey EX-L, which was purchased on May 2019, with about 20000km. The vehicle is showing a maintenance minder of A157, which is oil change, coolant change, and brake fluid change. The brake fluid has almost reached three years since it was purchased, I am going to change it when I do the oil change next time. But why the coolant needs to be changed? The coolant interval only 3 years? Has anyone encountered similar situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
But why the coolant needs to be changed?
The 5 in A157 is "Engine coolant is low and/or needs replacing. " In your case, it must mean to check the coolant level.

The factory fill Honda coolant should be good for at least 5 years or 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,809 Posts
Before the maintenance minder days, I believe Honda recommended the coolant be replaced for the first time at 10 years and 120K miles, and then every 5 years/60K miles thereafter. A 2019 with 20K km shouldn't need the coolant replaced just yet.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Not sure about 120K for coolant longevity. Maybe they are better now, but my regimen has been change after the 4th year. Then change every 2 years. Both regardless of mileage. I only do drain and fill with prestone longline and distilled water. My cars been running issue free from the cooling system. And I keep cars 15+ years.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
When they were still printing a maint. schedule based on time /miles, it was 10 years/120k miles for the factory fill, then 5 years 60k thereafter. Recommended procedure does not get rid of all coolant, so you have a partially contaminated fill for round 2. So, anti-corrosion won't last as long.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I figured when the major service (TB/WP/etc) is done the coolant is replaced as well, why not just do it then?

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
I figured when the major service (TB/WP/etc) is done the coolant is replaced as well, why not just do it then?
Yup, makes sense to me.

Honda should modify the Maintenance Minder to pair the coolant with the TB rather than with the brake fluid. :sneaky:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts