Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, a few days after the scheduled maintenance, I found that the coolant level is too low. Actually, there is no coolant in the tank at all. I called the dealership, and they told me that is completely normal, referring to the "weather changes".
Then what are MIN and MAX marks in a tank for, I asked. Mumbling something like "that is EXPANSION tank, you know, the coolant is not supposed to be there". How I check the coolant level then, I asked. You open the radiator cap and look at the coolant, was the response.

I don't buy it.

After that I checked this stuff in the manual. Page 201 says clearly that the coolant level should be maintained between MIN and MAX, and if less, the coolant should be added.

Can you tell me is keeping the coolant below MIN line is anyhow practically acceptable?

If no, is the dealer supposed to check the fluid levels during the maintenance and add it to normal level? Or at least notify the owner if something is wrong?

[This message has been edited by DP (edited 11-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Your dealer is WRONG!

The coolant level should be somewhere between the MIN and MAX marks on the coolant recovery tank and the radiator should be completely full. (Don't take the radiator cap off unless the engine is cold.)

Strictly speaking, there wouldn't be a problem if the level in the recovery tank is below the MIN mark IF the radiator is full. Of course, if the recovery tank is empty you can't presume that the radiator is full.

Mel

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yes, the dealer should have checked it. My advice: (1) Follow the procedure in the owner's manual for topping up the radiator and do it yourself. (2) Never return to this dealer for anything except to buy your own parts. (3) Furnish dealer name so others can avoid a similar "wall job."

·
Registered
596 Posts
They call that "service"? They musta had their fingers crossed when they said it. If that coolant is not in the bottle, you should add some and carefully watch to see if any is "used". The level should drop VERY slowly, over weeks or months. If it goes down quickly, you have a problem, especially with that dealer.....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 4 of 4 Posts