Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the OEM Michelin LX's on my 2005 EX-L. I know.....lots of posts/threads on tire choices but I haven't seen any recent updates on CS4's.

Seems like CS4s can only be purchased at Pep Boys. They have a current deal: $20 off any tire purchase of $250 or more PLUS buy 3 tires (Hankook or Cooper) and get the 4th free. Current price on CS4's is $199.99. If you do the math, it's a little over $100/tire INCLUDING mounting/balance and sales tax.

Deal or no deal?

Been bouncing around between the CS4, GY Comfort Tread, Yoko Avid TRZ, and even going back to the CS4. (Seems like the CS4 is a real sleeper of a tire and is lower in price than the above)

Any new input is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you add in the cost of multiple return trips to Pep Boys for accurate balancing they don't feel as cheap. Pep Boys is only good for disposing of used oil.

·
Registered
628 Posts
In October 2009 I had 4 CS4s installed at a Farm & Fleet store here in Illinois. Farm & Fleet is a mid America chain specializing farm and general mechandise. They now have 13,000+ miles on them and show no wear after 1 rotation.

I paid $102 per tire, plus road hazard warranty, lifetime balance, sales tax, blah, blah for a total of $502, which included a $50 rebate at the time.

I am generally happy with the CS4s, with the exception that they are a little more noiser and a little "thumpy" after having sit overnight, warm or cold.

They do look very nice and I have had several compliments on their appearance.

I would buy them again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Had Yoko TRZ's-- Wheel wobble, pain to balance and were very noisy 15K in.

Now have Goodyear tripletreds, AWESOME in rain and snow. Hands down the best, but I can hear a hum and its a little noisy compared to LX4's.

I think LX 4's are fine if your in the south/hot climate.

I'm curious on the Cooper CS4's--- How good are they in the snow/ice? Are they as good or better than the Goodyear tripletreds?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I had TripleTreds on an '02 Ody and wasn't impressed. They were noisier than the OEM Michelins and I didn't find them any less resistant to hydroplaning.

Where I live we average 36" of snowfall. Obviously, some years are a lot more than that. I don't believe there was much difference between OEM, TripleTred and the CS4s. The last 3 years we have been pushing 100" of snowfall each year and I was never close to being stuck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Tripletreds, are noisy, but I am impressed by the snow/ice traction here in Colorado. You need to ask if you would rather have louder noise or better wet/snow/ice traction?I remember when I had the van brand new with brand new LX4's on them, stuck spinning in a parking lot with 3 inches of fresh fluffy snow. Got rid of the LX4's no more issues with spinning in the snow. And yes--- I do know how to drive in the snow.....

Still curious on a comparison between CS4's and Tripletred.

I've only had tripletreds for 7,000 miles, so I don't know how long the longevity of the tire is yet.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have cooper CS4's on my '01. They are a great tire. They run with virtually no noise and they last at least 80K miles if rotated properly. If you look at some online reviews, you will see that they are pretty highly rated. My Dad has the Cs4's on his GM minivan and they run great on there too. They also give me very good highway mileage. Last year on a 3200+ mile trip to and from Fl from MN, I averaged 26 mpg and that was going 75 mph most all of the time. We got 28 mpg on one tank.

I also got my tires at Mills Fleet farm here in MN. Those stores are all over the midwest. When I got them, it was buy 3 and get the 4th free + a rebate from either cooper or a Mills gift card - can't remember now. Anyway, the cost came out to around $90/tire and that included mounting and balancing. The CS4 tires are made on a ventless machine so they don't have any nibs on them from the get go. They really ride nice and they rice nice in the winter also.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback. Trying to stretch out the life of my oem LX4's til next year. But might not make it.

Lots of good stuff said about the CS4's. From handling, mileage, traction and low noise. Just too bad the sidewalls are so goofy looking....so busy with letters, graphics, etc. Saw a set on a Camry the other day. Just kinds of throws off the whole look of the car. Anyone else share the same feelings?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts