Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Odyssey EXL with 98,504 miles. I have never added fluid , never changed fluid, never changed the filter. The transmission performs perfectly but logic tells me that I should have done all these things. I have read on this or perhaps another Honda site that there seems to be some significant ly different recommendations as to the (correct/best) fluid to use. I am about to have the transmission fluid replaced and the filter changed. I am 88years old, a former DIYer, and hope to have the auto last as long as I am able to continue driving. Any advice and or opinions will be appreciated. My email is:
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Hi and welcome to this forum. You have a very low mileage Odyssey! A few things in response to your post:

1. Please edit your post to delete your personal email address; this is not a good thing to do. To edit, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner of your post.
2. Your 2007 has the upgraded, better transmission. You should have been doing a transmission fluid drain and fill at least every 30,000 miles if not more often. Never have it flushed, just a simple drain and fill, similar to changing the oil. I do this about every 10,000 miles. Each time it takes about 3 1/2 quarts.
3. Use Honda DW-1 fluid. Some people here like Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic. It works fine too. It is fairly inexpensive at places such at Walmart.
4. With you having the EX-L model you have the VCM engine. You should install a VCM disabling device (VCM Muzzler) to prevent a boatload of issues.
5. Time to have the timing belt changed. Get the Aisin kit from Rock Auto.
6. Your transmission does not have a user replaceable filter. The filter is embedded inside the transmission.
7. Consider servicing all the other fluids: power steering, coolant flush, brake fluid flush

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
256 Posts
From your username/email, is it safe to assume that you are a retired dentist?

+1 on all of thscott's advice. I personally use Valvoline MaxLife instead of Honda DW-1. Either fluid will suffice. I do not plan on ever changing the filter internal to the transmission. I would also get the timing belt changed soon if it hasn't been done already.

I have the exact same car as you, 07 EX-L. Odometer reads 84,838 as of yesterday, even lower mileage than yours :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From your username/email, is it safe to assume that you are a retired dentist?

+1 on all of thscott's advice. I personally use Valvoline MaxLife instead of Honda DW-1. Either fluid will suffice. I do not plan on ever changing the filter internal to the transmission. I would also get the timing belt changed soon if it hasn't been done already.

I have the exact same car as you, 07 EX-L. Odometer reads 84,838 as of yesterday, even lower mileage than yours :)
Thank you for your reply. Yes ,I am a retired dentist. I used to do all of my maintenance but at age 88 I am in a senior living facility and no longer have the tools and equipment that I used to have. The reason for my inquiry was the posts regarding the "problems" that seemed to occur with using fluids that should be OK to use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and welcome to this forum. You have a very low mileage Odyssey! A few things in response to your post:

1. Please edit your post to delete your personal email address; this is not a good thing to do. To edit, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner of your post.
2. Your 2007 has the upgraded, better transmission. You should have been doing a transmission fluid drain and fill at least every 30,000 miles if not more often. Never have it flushed, just a simple drain and fill, similar to changing the oil. I do this about every 10,000 miles. Each time it takes about 3 1/2 quarts.
3. Use Honda DW-1 fluid. Some people here like Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic. It works fine too. It is fairly inexpensive at places such at Walmart.
4. With you having the EX-L model you have the VCM engine. You should install a VCM disabling device (VCM Muzzler) to prevent a boatload of issues.
5. Time to have the timing belt changed. Get the Aisin kit from Rock Auto.
6. Your transmission does not have a user replaceable filter. The filter is embedded inside the transmission.
7. Consider servicing all the other fluids: power steering, coolant flush, brake fluid flush

Hope this helps you.
Thank you for your helpful reply. I have had the timing belt replaced and have been religious about oil,full synthetic, changes. I have had a local independent garage service the Honda since we moved to Oregon 3 years ago and they have been both very competent and honest. They are proposing to drain the transmission, replace the filter which I understand in inside the pan and refill with DW-1 fluid. The charge that they gave me for the service was
$ 200. They did not suggest flushing it.I assume that your reply that the transmission does not have a "user replaceable filter" does not exclude it having an internal filter that can be replaced by a service technician. Perhaps you can also inform me as to what an VCM engine is and what a " VCM Muzzler " is. I have never had any operational issues. What are the " boatload of issues " involved by not having the VCM disabled?You have been most generous with your information and time. I greatly appreciate it. Thank You

·
Registered
992 Posts
Drop the pan and change the filter? The Honda transmission does not have a pan! You have to remove the transmission and disassemble to get at the internal filter! Like thscott said, "embedded inside the transmission".

VCM- Variable Cylinder Management that Honda introduced on EX-L and Touring models disables some cylinders which you can see with the ECO light. With modest savings in gas, there are problems with piston rings and oil consumption. The several varieties of "Muzzlers" safely disable the eco mode. There are many threads that discuss this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drop the pan and change the filter? The Honda transmission does not have a pan! You have to remove the transmission and disassemble to get at the internal filter! Like thscott said, "embedded inside the transmission".

VCM- Variable Cylinder Management that Honda introduced on EX-L and Touring models disables some cylinders which you can see with the ECO light. With modest savings in gas, there are problems with piston rings and oil consumption. The several varieties of "Muzzlers" safely disable the eco mode. There are many threads that discuss this.
Again, many thanks for sharing your expertise with me.If you would permit me, I would like to ask some questions not related to transmissions. Since I am 88 and approaching my "expiration date" I am hoping to attend to maintenance issues that will enhance the possibilty that the Honda will last another eight or ten years.Here are some additional questions:
1. What brand of brake pads would you recommend?
2. What brand of radiator hoses would you recommend?
3. What brand of spark plugs would recommend?
4. Finally, is ROCK AUTO a reliable source of quality parts?
Obviously, these recommendations carry no liability on your part. Any decisions that I make are strictly my responsibilty. Thank you

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
256 Posts
Again, many thanks for sharing your expertise with me.If you would permit me, I would like to ask some questions not related to transmissions. Since I am 88 and approaching my "expiration date" I am hoping to attend to maintenance issues that will enhance the possibilty that the Honda will last another eight or ten years.Here are some additional questions:
1. What brand of brake pads would you recommend?
2. What brand of radiator hoses would you recommend?
3. What brand of spark plugs would recommend?
4. Finally, is ROCK AUTO a reliable source of quality parts?
Obviously, these recommendations carry no liability on your part. Any decisions that I make are strictly my responsibilty. Thank you
1. Akebono pads seem to be recommended around here, which is probably what I will use next time. Powerstop, from what I've read/heard (no personal experience) is a good value brand if you want to save a few bucks.
2. Radiator hoses - OEM only. They're much more expensive than aftermarket but are also much, much better. Radiator hose failure is not reported here often and last a very long time. I wouldn't change them, unless you were changing the radiator.
3. Get the NGK spark plugs, which is the OEM supplier. Denso is fine too. I used NGK.
4. RockAuto is a very reliable source for quality parts... I wouldn't buy items like a timing belt kit or spark plugs from sites like Amazon or Ebay (lots of fakes). I bought my timing belt kit and spark plugs from RockAuto.

Cheers!

Reactions: kernel and thscott

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Good advice from jiantao. I will only add that Rock Auto is primarily a good source for aftermarket parts. For genuine Honda parts at a discount I buy from Majestic Honda or Bernardiparts.com.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts