Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say hello, this is my first post. I know there is a Nav section but this pertains to a 2011 and there are some questions that go along with my Title. I got a EX-L with aftermarket RES. It has the big screen in the front without nav....I did some searching on the boards and everyone says it is expensive. but no one ever really throws out a number. And I am not totally sure if the screen i have is suitable for nav.

I am starting to confuse myself so I won't go on. If anyone can understand/answer my questions it would be grateful since I just bought this very recently and am now bummed I didn't opt for GPS

Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
welcome!!

ALthough I can't answer that.. Let me ask you how often do you use the GPS? There's a lot of option regarding GPS... ask urself again if its really that big of a deal to have a portable GPS or maybe an ipad..

·
Registered
117 Posts
+1 on the portable GPS and ipad. I would recommend getting both and you will still be less than factory GPS. In fact that is exactly why we did not go with an EX-L Res this time. Both kids use their ipads for video and web surfing in the car and I use an harman kardon portable GPS that doubles as my travel GPS when renting cars.

I have had factory nav over the years in a couple of previous vehicles and would not choose any of the factory versions over a good portable system.

Regards,

JD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. This kind of stems from the fact that I have had OEM Nav in all of my hondas...currently a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. So I think I am just kind of used to having it, this being my wires car, she didn't care so I figured save the cash....now driving it for a bit I wish i had gotten it.

I hope someone can get an answer on the cost....but since you guys mention portables, what would be the BEST portable on the market.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Since no one has attended it, your probably not going to get the answer your looking for. This question has been asked before. Since Honda doesn't prewire anything you would have to literally by every component in the system including the harnesses. Just pricing out a few of the components quickly pushes the cost over a grand.

I recommend a Garmin.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
The dedicated NAV section is for ALL models including the 2011. So, next time, please try and post in correct sections to prevent a LOCK. ALL non-model year specific forums are for ALL models just so you know. So, wheels questions go in wheels not in 2011. NAV and Audio questions in the audio/video/nav and so forth.

Now, to answer your question. Yes NAV can be added but it will cost thousands if you get the new parts and you have to get many harnesses to make it all work. King a user on here fabricated his own harnesses and did install the factory NAV in the 3rd gen and Nemogira did so for the 2nd gen. Nemogira got OEM harnesses and opened up the either dash to plug in everything. King took a shortcut and fabricated the harnesses.

IMHO. Its not worth it to install the factory NAV after the fact. I paid 2K extra for the NAV for my 2007 and had I gotten a non-NAV model, I am sure it would have cost me more than 2K to install the factory NAV.

If you really want the NAV, I highly recommend taking the hit on the trade and trade up.

Besides, aftermarket NAV systems are much more cheaper to maintain as the NAV disks for the OEM system run $200 for upgrades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts