Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regularly rotate my tire about 5k at Costco with no issues. I decide to have stick on weights installed instead of regular weights because of wheel scratches. But this time the tech broke one studs and stripped another same wheel. On top of that, alloy wheels was gouged removing wheel weights and he forgot to balance one wheel. I filed claim for damage wheels. I had broken stud fixed at Honda dealer which cost $500.00 to replace it. I ask SA why so expensive; the hub to be remove on 03 on front; the labor was outrageously expensive. Now I have to file a separate claim at Costco for stud damage because their max reimbursement is $100.

·
Registered
539 Posts
This is sad, but it can happen at any garage or service center. Our friend's Sienna minivan had a number of cross-threaded lug nuts on it, they asked me to look at it before they took a long trip in it (good thing) and I couldn't even get two out of five lug nuts off on one wheel - they would turn, but I could feel them binding up and knew that the stud would snap off if I continued.

They took it back to the tire store that did the service and they took care of it.

This is why I try to do my own auto work, even though I really don't have the time to do so anymore since having kids. Included on my list of pet peeves is 1) tire store technicians overtightening lug nuts and 2) damaging the alloy wheels (which have a plastic coating on them, if you nick that it's a fast track to corrosion city).

·
Registered
34 Posts
They broke a couple on our Subaru years ago. They paid to repair it at a local shop. We still buy tires there, haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is sad, but it can happen at any garage or service center. Our friend's Sienna minivan had a number of cross-threaded lug nuts on it, they asked me to look at it before they took a long trip in it (good thing) and I couldn't even get two out of five lug nuts off on one wheel - they would turn, but I could feel them binding up and knew that the stud would snap off if I continued.

They took it back to the tire store that did the service and they took care of it.

This is why I try to do my own auto work, even though I really don't have the time to do so anymore since having kids. Included on my list of pet peeves is 1) tire store technicians overtightening lug nuts and 2) damaging the alloy wheels (which have a plastic coating on them, if you nick that it's a fast track to corrosion city).

Putting weights on the lip of alloy wheel definitely scratch or gouge the wheels. I have alot of scratches on wheels because of his which I don't mind light scratches but gouge is unacceptable. I also notice clearcoat is peeling off must wear and tear. It cost about $125 to repair to original condition. After this incident, I will rotate the tires my self. My advise is to rotate the tires only and balance if you have any shimmy issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can replace the studs yourself or find just about any reputable tire shop to replace them. I had three replaced on the front drivers side for $150.

$500 is outrageous. It doesn't take two hours to do the job in a properly equiped shop and the studs themselves are ~$3.50 each and an after market wheel bearing is ~$50.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can replace the studs yourself or find just about any reputable tire shop to replace them. I had three replaced on the front drivers side for $150.

$500 is outrageous. It doesn't take two hours to do the job in a properly equiped shop and the studs themselves are ~$3.50 each and an after market wheel bearing is ~$50.
I know $500 is outrageous if you are paying for it but fortunately Costco is reimbursing me for the damage. I shop around and found some dealer quoting me about $250.

The problem is the incompetent tech that work my car. I never have problem before this incident. The only way to avoid any damage on your wheels is if you diy. Stick on weight is much better to avoid damage on wheel lip and looks better.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is bad

I discovered a flat tire on my 2000 LX overnight and set out to remove the wheel with a tee handle wrench . I could not loosen the lugs with the tee handle so I had to go to the 18" 1/2 drive breaker bar. Only 2 of them cracked loose . II did not try any more on the tight lugs because I did not want them to beak . Costco was the last one to touch the wheel when they rotated the tires about 8,000 miles ago. I assume that the problem exists on the other 3 wheels . I have purchased tires from them for several years and never had problem until now. All it takes is a careless tech . What a waste of time . I sure was lucky that flat happened at home.

How did others who had this problem get Costco to take care of it . Do I need to tow the vehicle to Costco ? I expect Costco to pay all fees including towing . Also , I will need a rental car if this is going to take more than a day .

-Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Costco sucks for tires. Not the best price anymore and limited selection. At least at my local Costco it's a huge hassle to get tires.

On my beater integra the hubcap is held on my the wheel nuts. I went to check the pressure and the idiots covered the valve with the hubcap!!

I went back and showed them. An hour later the valve is visible and badly bent because it was smashed from the hubcap. Idiots!!! Had them replace the valve now. NEVER Again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I discovered a flat tire on my 2000 LX overnight and set out to remove the wheel with a tee handle wrench . I could not loosen the lugs with the tee handle so I had to go to the 18" 1/2 drive breaker bar. Only 2 of them cracked loose . II did not try any more on the tight lugs because I did not want them to beak . Costco was the last one to touch the wheel when they rotated the tires about 8,000 miles ago. I assume that the problem exists on the other 3 wheels . I have purchased tires from them for several years and never had problem until now. All it takes is a careless tech . What a waste of time . I sure was lucky that flat happened at home.

How did others who had this problem get Costco to take care of it . Do I need to tow the vehicle to Costco ? I expect Costco to pay all fees including towing . Also , I will need a rental car if this is going to take more than a day .

-Thanks
It sounds like you have cross thread if your lugs will not break loose. At this point, you can't remove the lugs and if you do they might blame you for negligence if you broke it. Your only options is to tow vehicle to Costo and have them examine the damage. Costco will pay for the repair of lugs and most likely the towing too because you vehicle is not driveable. Because of liability issue, if you have more than 1 lugs broken, they should not allow you to drive the vehicle due to safety issue. If they can't fix the problem in the shop, you probably have your vehicle tow to a shop to fix it. You time will be wasted waiting in the shop but if all the others lugs are stripped most likely you might as well leave the vehicle and get rental vehicle. Make sure you speak with Costco tire shop manager about your situation. They will have you filled out a claim form and submit to their claim office. Keep all your receipts and document everything. Take pictures of the damage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
286 Posts

-Thanks
Instead of spending money to tow the car and go thru the hassle with Costco, you can call one of the mobile auto mechanics on Craiglist.
They will try to remove the stuck lug nuts with the air wrench.
While the mobile tech is there, ask him to loosen lug nuts on other wheels and then re-tighten with correct torque.

By the way, if the shop had to remove a wheel to work on the car, as soon as I get the car back, I would make sure that I could loosen the lug nuts in my garage. If not, the car goes back to the shop.

·
Registered
447 Posts
IMO this rotating tires every 5000 is a waste of time and money. I rotate them once at 15K-20K when the outside of the fronts show wear. Have the brakes etc checked at the same time.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
IMO this rotating tires every 5000 is a waste of time and money. I rotate them once at 15K-20K when the outside of the fronts show wear. Have the brakes etc checked at the same time.
It may be a waste of time but that's the only way you can claim warranty on a tire that wears prematurely.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMO it's a waste of money rotating your tires 15k, why would you wait until your tires go bald before rotating it. How long do you think your tires will last? The reason you rotate tires is so threads wear evenly. Tire rotation and balance is free of charge..no money wasted. My tires lasted up to 70-80k before it hits the wear bars.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I always take my wheels off my cars and take them in for new tires.....fot this very reason!! Except on my POS honda....don't much care what they do to it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
They probably didn't hand tight the lug nuts before torque wrench them in. Impact it all the way and hence stripped the threads. It's sad.

·
Registered
447 Posts
IMO it's a waste of money rotating your tires 15k, why would you wait until your tires go bald before rotating it. How long do you think your tires will last? The reason you rotate tires is so threads wear evenly. Tire rotation and balance is free of charge..no money wasted. My tires lasted up to 70-80k before it hits the wear bars.
I didn't say "rotate when bald", rather rotate when the fronts show SOME wear on the outside of the tread (which usually is about 15k). They seem to wear just as even as rotating every 5K. Taking it to the tire store takes alot of time and my time is very $$ expensive!! Not to mention what happened on this thread...broken lugs and stripped threads also cost time and money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
this is horrible service. I work in the tire industry and damaging studs happens. But the tech should not let the vehicle leave with it broken and should take care of it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Old thread but this happened to me again ! I had the tires rotated at Cosco a couple of months ago and judt now tried to remove a wheel for brake pad replacement and for that one of the studs is oviosuly stripped. I guess a better lossen all 4 wheels too see if the are others before I go back. The ahppened a few years ago and I Costoc did not want to fix until I wrote a compalint to their corporate office. Very dissapointing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts