Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 95 ody in for it's yearly emissions test, and the tester said she could not test it.

The problem is (was) the van needed to maintain 24-26 mph for 90 seconds.

She claimed she couldn't do it, that the rpms were surging too much....she tried three times, I offered to do it for her, but she would not let me.

The van does not surge while driving, has no problems at idle....wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience with this.

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RinconVTR said:
Take it back, and find someone who can drive!
that was my feelings about it, but she told me she'd been doing emissions for 4 years, and knew what she was doing....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bet she had been working there for 4 years but has had a drivers license for 6 months.
LOL
Had the same thing happen to me but the kid who was testing my car, I swear he was 10 or 12, he failed to even start my car. 3 failed dyno simulations later they sent out (after I complained alot) a dude with a nascar hat and dirt under his finger nails, first try and bingo 2 minutes later they hand me my slip. Vroom I drive away.

It's the bad driver not your van.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hockeyman said:
Where are you located?

Is it possible to set the cruise control at that speed to further test it yourself?
In Atlanta. I'm not seeing or feeling any surging while on cruise - worth noting, we're only talking abou 2 mph here.

Gonna try a new place tomorrow...we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
KGBTV said:
The problem is (was) the van needed to maintain 24-26 mph for 90 seconds.
The problem was the AT shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 22 - 25 mph, the rpm would be hunting at these speed. Tell her to speed it up to over 26 to allow shifting to 3rd and bring it back down to 26. This should work... or take it back to Honda dealer for the test.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Re: Re: Could not do emissions test

Ossy said:
The problem was the AT shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 22 - 25 mph, the rpm would be hunting at these speed. Tell her to speed it up to over 26 to allow shifting to 3rd and bring it back down to 26. This should work... or take it back to Honda dealer for the test.
very well may be it...never had a problem before.

I did take out last years emissions report and noticed some high values that might be caused by clogged egr ports and valve. Doesn't take long to clean the ports and valve (total for both was about 1 hour). Just put everything back together, and drove it - can't really feel a big difference, but I'll know tomorrow.

I also tightened the throttle cable - had a little slack in it...who knows, might help.

Thanks again for the input.

EDIT-Results

Just got it tested again this morning, it held it's speed well, and passed with flying colors. The EGR ports and valves were very clogged, so I'm guessing that (and maybe the testers inexperience) were to blame.

-KGBTV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts