Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been researching batteries of late for my Jeep, settling on the Odyssey brand, purely by coincidence. While at it, I decided to look at replacing my 06 Honda Odyssey battery.

Research at this forum, and lots of previous tracking, made it clear to me that Optima is out and DieHard is in, regarding the best batteries you can get (cost aside).

I can't buy the Sear's DieHard brand here in Canada, and I prefer to buy local just in case I need to depend on the replacement warranty. As it turns out, the DieHard battery is a rebranded Odyssey battery (not to be confused with Honda's Odyssey).

While at the sears.com site, a search of my 06 ody ex came back with the following battery match: DieHard Platinum P5. This battery appears to be the same as the Odyssey 35-PC1400. There are all kinds of reasons why DieHard/Odyssey are the best batteries available, in terms of reliability and brute force (again, forget about cost because that extra $100 over 6-10 years with a 4 year full replacement warranty -- yes, that's how long these batteries last -- is well worth it). Check it out, or take my word for it. http://www.odysseyfactory.com/batteries.html

Despite the Odyssey-Odyssey cool factor (best battery in the best van), I'm strongly considering going with the 35-PC1400. Thought I'd check if anyone has already done this? If not, here are the measurement; do you think the battery will fit? 9.46" long X 6.84" wide X 8.69" in height. The battery weighs in at 50 lbs.

Edit: actually, I missed the vehicle search option at the odyssey battery site. For the 06 ody ex, it lists the appropriate model as 34R-PC1500T, dimensions 10.85" long x 6.99" wide x 7.82" in height. Again, any unforeseen install challenges? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I got out the tape measure...

Didn't want to remove the battery for proper measurements, so in the tight space here are the measurements as best I could determine.

Honda OEM battery (as installed in an 06 exl anyway):
10.4”L x 6.8”W x 7.9”H.

Battery tray (enclosed box):
10.9”L x 7.1”W x 6.8”H.

For the height, it appears the battery holddowns can handle a battery height upwards of 9".

The published dimensions of the Odyssey 34R-PC1500T, in concern of fitting in the battery tray and held in place with the holddowns:
10.85”L x 6.99”W x 7.13”H.

You can get a riser of sorts (piece of plasic that sits at the bottom of the tray to raise the battery an inch or so), but I don't think it's necessary.

The "R" in the battery model number mentioned above indicates the poles are reversed (negative post on left instead of usual right side placement). This is required to match the Honda OEM battery wire setup -- install battery turned 180 degrees and all is well.

I really do believe the Odyssey 34R-PC1500T is the best battery I can get for my van. The way I look at it, I'm going to install this thing and never have to worry about fire power again. And when I sell the van, I'll be sure to mention the kick**s battery with years of life still left in it.

Willing to do a write-up on the install if anyone is interested. I want to determine a method whereby the van doesn't actually lose any power during the battery swap.

In any event, thought I'd share this info for anyone looking for quality over quantity. All the best.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Why don't you just get an Interstate battery? They are a great brand and reasonably priced with a good warranty.

We are talking about a $120.00 purchase that is reliable for 5 years (give or take) in the harsh Canadian climate.

We have a 2003 Accord that made it to 2010 with the original battery (pretty good service). I replaced it with an Interstate battery - specified for our car and paid about $90.00.

Haven't had any problems and don't expect to.

The only other option would be to find a battery with a longer non pro rated warranty period. But those batteries cost more to pay for that warranty. Not sure if they are any better.

I've had more than a few Die Hards "die" over the years anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recommendation, Shazzam. I have considered all options, believe me.

A point of clarification: I'm talking specifically about the DieHard Platinum battery (though you can't buy the reversed pole configuration that is best suited for the van). In addition, like anything else, there are many reasons why something fails unexectedly. In concern of auto batteries, although it's true that manufacturing QA may be the cause (Optima as an example in resent years), most times it's misuse. For one, you cannot let a standard lead acid battery fully drain. Do it once, and you've killed a year or two of its life. Do it again, and say bye-bye. Deep cycle batteries, like the Odyssey, don't suffer from this drain issue, yet, like anything else, you need to read the manual: even deep cycle batteries require external chargers to get the charge back up to mininum voltage, in case of deep drain, or their life is reduced as well.

I know everyone has their own opinions on what works, what doesn't, and what didn't work the way it was supposed to.

I could get away with almost any battery that would fit the van. This thread isn't about that. It's about getting the best available within a reasonable cost range. When I'm talking about a relatively expensive vehicle and costly weekly fill-ups, getting a battery for $200-$300 that will be reliable for many years to come seems to be a reasonable cost range.

I still stand by the Odyssey, both the van and battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have that battery in my van. It might be overkill but I figure with all the electronics and sliding doors it could not hurt. I installed it myself and it was very easy. I did research on this forum beforehand. There are previous threads that have good info.

edit: The battery that I installed is a Diehard Platinum P-1 - Group Size 34.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear of someone who did this!

I only found two other references to this particular battery on the forum. I would be interested in hearing of other installs of this beauty.

Yes, the DieHard Platinum P1 is the same battery as the Odyssey 34R-PC1500T, only difference is the terminal positioning. As indicated previously, if I could get the P1 locally I'd go for it. But then I wasn't sure about the cables reaching to the front of the battery. Glad to hear you got it to work. I'm thinking though that the 34R-PC1500T would be a cleaner fit since you don't have to stretch the cables?

I don't think this battery is overkill -- lots of buttons in these vans as we all know. And I'll take that 880 CCA, thank you very much, and know that when I crank that ignition, all those buttons will have something useful to do, as I drive down the road getting to where I want to be when I want to be there. And if I accidently drain the battery. Oops. Charge it back up and good as new.

Any other takers for the Odyssey battery being THE BATTERY to get for the van?

·
Registered
613 Posts
It does look like a quality battery with a ton of capacity. You seem pretty excited about it, so go ahead and buy one, although I'd recommend getting the R version to make it fit better if you can.

Most people change batteries in a rush because of failure, so planning ahead allows for more options than what is at Walmart!

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as the cables reaching (which was one of my concerns initially) that was not a problem because it seems like the cables had plenty of slack to begin with. The installation was as straight forward as can be. If I had the option to get the same battery with the correct orientation on the terminals of course I would have done that, but it worked out fine anyways.

I think the battery is an excellent choice!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I don't know, for some it's just a battery. And ya, keeping it real, it is just a battery. What I find exciting, beyond the particulars, is knowing that what ever I get, it's the best value available, and if not, well at least I tried my best to get the best. It's never an easy task wading through all the negativity, false claims, and conflicting data that's out there. Nonetheless, perseverance always pays off. And as always, thanks to all the good people who take the time to share what they know with whomever cares to take notice.

I went ahead today and purchased the Odyssey battery I've been raving about (and yet had never actually ever seen). After seeing it, I'm still getting the warm/fuzzies knowing I got the best. I do think going with the reversed pole configuration is the best option. In case anyone is local to my area, I ended up getting it at http://www.gnbsystems.com/index.php, paid $260 + tax. Will be installing it this weekend. Assume that if you don't see me whining about my car battery woes, that all is well, that this thread isn't based on negativity, false claims, and spagettied opinions.

Pure and straight up. The best battery in the best van.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The ody picture show

Finally, here's a shot of the wiring setup so that I didn't have to mess with reconfiguration issues that result from killing power to the van. I happened to have another odyssey battery on standby for my Jeep (why buy just 1!), so I was able to use that as an auxilary power source. Wire it up the same way you would when boosting a vehicle, positive going to a metallic part of the cable lead that connects to the positive post of the battery about to be replaced. My jumper cables were a bit big so it made it challenging to get the battery out (no handle on the thing). I ended up using a bungee cord, hooked onto one of the wiper blades, to pull the wire out the way. If you don't have an extra battery sitting around, you can use a second vehicle or a jump starter will work as well.

Power on!

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
I did fall maintenance on my wife's car (she commutes in the Intrigue) and when doing engine mounts removed battery connectors and found the side terminal plastic hooding on the connector effectively shielded from view some corrosion although I had liberally applied grease to the fitting where it contacted, this was the enclosed back side. Side terminals were one of GM's not so great ideas. Lots of problems with them coming loose and hiding corrosion, etc. Now GM goes back to top terminals. But I digress. Anyway, when I poured some soda water on it neutralize the acid, I noticed it looked like the case was defective on the side seam where the top is attached, as it was bubbling profusely there. I guess WalMart batteries (made by major co) can have their issues although a low price alternative! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a shot of the before/after. The original Honda battery performed well, keeping the van going for near 5 years. A Red Top would do well too. Even the battery going for $50 down the street will get you by.

This one is the best.
after a year, how is the odyssey battery treating you?

my OEM battery on my 2006 is showing its age and i am looking for a replacement.

how long did shipping from gnb take? (i am in GTA as well)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts