Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just off the phone with the service department of a major Bay Area Honda dealer. My '99 Ody is pulling the P0740 code. I asked him (after extensive reading of these boards) if Honda called exclusively for transmission replacement when that code is pulled. He said robotically, "I am not a tech, I just make appointments, I do not even know what that code means, you'll have to bring the car in for [overpriced] diagnosis. " Could this possibly be true, that he has never heard of the code or is this just the first brick in the big stonewall that will go up as I pursue a FOURTH tranny for my '99?? I assumed that personnel had some training as techs or were former techs...

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Maybe not stonewalling, just not saying over the phone something that he might regret later. Give them the chance to offer a solution. Did this same dealer do the previous three replacements? Man, what luck!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be clear: new tranny would be #4 in the car, 3rd replacement, @ 170,600 miles. I am only trying to ascertain if there are measures that can be taken to prolong its life since I am not inclined to spend more $$. I had to pay $800 labor on the last one (4 yrs ago at 114,000 miles).

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
$200 per year isn't a really bad expense for a car(or minivan). If they'd offer that deal I'd take it!

But they won't. Its been four years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think they will go for the following? I'll bring the car in for a look, but if the cure is a new tranny, I don't pay for the diagnosis. Seems like it is the least they could do when their "fixes" are good for an average of 57k miles.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,830 Posts
I have a '99 too, now on my 4th AT. Original owner with ~185k miles now. AT's at 64k, 88k, and 179k.

It is Honda policy to replace the AT when that P0740 code comes up. I think it may be for the torque converter, but whatever it is translates into "replace the AT." They never repair, just replace. So if you talked with a knowledgeable tech, you would not hear much different.

I really don't think you'll get any sort of deal at this point, like even a free diagnosis as you mentioned. High mileage, out of warranty, ...

You're lucky to have got the last one for $800, but this one will probably be over $3000. I wish I had a solution too. Lots of info on the boards here, but not really any answers to the problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
macglade said:
. . . I asked him (after extensive reading of these boards) if Honda called exclusively for transmission replacement when that code is pulled. . . . . Could this possibly be true, that he has never heard of the code . . . I assumed that personnel had some training as techs or were former techs...
Boy, I sure got my daily chuckle out of that. The ugly truth about dealership service department service writers (and any independent ship big enough to have them) is that they are commissioned salespersons. That's right, they get a percentage, however modest, of what they convince you to buy--at least on the upsell services. For the most part these folks have very little, if any, mechanical training or aptitude--if they did they'd be making much more as certified technicians in the service bays.

These folks have been chosen because they have good people skills, not because they know about cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts