Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first and will be my last 2000 Ody EX-L with 144K miles with unknown major maintenance records from a non-Honda Stealership because it's a Honda brand and guess what I'm wrong after I found this site fills with issues on the Ody. I'm also surprised you guys still buy this Ody crap. Now I can only wish I found this site before I bought one, dang. The van drive great right now with no issues but I still believe all the issues on the Ody are crazy and it should not be on the Honda brand as currently I also have 08 CRV with 60K mile, used to have NSX with 69K miles, 02 BMW with 124K mile, and Toyota Previa with 400K+ miles with no problem on the original tranny or engine beside regular maintenance services.

All these issues scared the hell out of me in my car ownership history and plan to sell the van the same price as I bought it hopefully, with my fingers crosed. The van is clean inside and out, have paper to prove that I just bought this. Any taker, asking $5100!:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why people still buy Ody with all the known major issues

I just bought my first and will be my last 2000 Ody EX-L with 144K miles with unknown major maintenance records from a non-Honda Stealership because it's a Honda brand and guess what I'm wrong after I found this site fills with issues on the Ody. I'm also surprised you guys still buy this Ody crap. Now I can only wish I found this site before I bought one, dang. The van drive great right now with no issues but I still believe all the issues on the Ody are crazy and it should not be on the Honda brand as currently I also have 08 CRV with 60K mile, used to have NSX with 69K miles, 02 BMW with 124K mile, and Toyota Previa with 400K+ miles with no problem on the original tranny or engine beside regular maintenance services.

All these issues scared the hell out of me in my car ownership history and plan to sell the van the same price as I bought it hopefully, with my fingers crosed. The van is clean inside and out, have paper to prove that I just bought this. Any taker, asking $5100!

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
Please go easy on the Honda bashing. Cross posting the same thing is generally not a good idea at any form. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dvpatel said:
Please go easy on the Honda bashing. Cross posting the same thing is generally not a good idea at any form. :)
Sorry I didn't know why I have 2 same posted thread:confused: I'm just very disappointed on the Ody. I'm a big fan of Honda and had never deal with tranny problem with my other Honda cars. The Ody looks great compare to other van out there and never thougt once it has all these issues beside regular maintenance. Anyway just need to rant a little, I will try to return it even though I know the answer and at the same time will try to sale it and buy something else with less headache.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So...wait...you just bought an 11 year old vehicle with 144,000 miles...and you state that it "drives great" with "no issues" and you are complaining why?

I'm totally confused. So there's nothing actually wrong with your van, you are just upset because other people have had problems? I have news for you--there exists a litany of internet complaints for virtually every vehicle on the road right now. You cannot take such a small subset such as this board and automatically assume that your vehicle is going to have every problem than anybody has ever experienced. Since your vehicle has unknown service records, for all you know you have a new transmission! (For example.)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well, I was also a bit surprised when i found this site after doing other mainstream research and getting a used '06. not a Honda family in past except wife's '91 Lude which was a great car. However, that gen Oddy has a great following and if you drive somewhat moderately and use a tranny filter, change oil you can expect some decent service out of it.

What are alternatives? Chrysler is not super-reliable. Toyota is good but they had those sludge v6 engines that were blowing up, and handle like turds in comparison. Nissan also had some issues. GM the intake manifold gasket would leak coolant, or the trim would fall off, body rust through.

You could resell your van as you plan and start search over.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Buying a high mileage vehilce with no maintenance history and likely not mechanic inspection because it's a (fill in your favorite brand here) is pretty silly. I would say bone-headed but I'm trying to be nice.

There were a couple years of Ody's that are far worse than others. Regardless, any of these sites bring out the worst. I would fall down in disbelief if you found a site for a 12 year old vehicle that wasn't filled with problems. In fact if you read the web my '00 VW Jetta should have been the biggest heap on the planet but somehow I managed 200k nearly trouble-free miles. It's called statistics and generally speaking most vehicles are pretty reliable.

I would shrug off the mental hit and see what happens. What else are you going to buy for $5,100 that's guaranteed to be flawless and trouble-free going forward?

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
KGBTV said:
Aren't you the same guy who was shouting "HONDA SUCKS" in your posts and sig a few months back?
Yes. But I didn't open up 4 new threads virtually saying the same thing. I bashed Honda in that one thread and also in my sig. :)

And yes Honda still sucks and that is preciesly why this OP's thread is still open after I merged two of his new threads with exact same text. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
dvpatel said:
Yes. But I didn't open up 4 new threads virtually saying the same thing. I bashed Honda in that one thread and also in my sig. :)
So Honda bashing IS okay, as long as it's in one thread.

Good to know:stupid:

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
KGBTV said:
So Honda bashing IS okay, as long as it's in one thread.

Good to know:stupid:
Yes. Its OK as long as you don't open up new ones in multiple forums saying the same thing.

If Honda bashing was not allowed, Wild Willy would have been banned in the first week he joined this forum. :stupid:

·
Registered
506 Posts
To the OP,

Relax, Honda's suck just as much (but often less) as pretty much every single other brand out there.

Cars are high wear mechanical monsters and as such things do break and problems do arise, especially when you build and sell hundreds of thousands of vehicles every year.

Enjoy your Ody.

·
Registered
100 Posts
dvpatel said:

If Honda bashing was not allowed, Wild Willy would have been banned in the first week he joined this forum. :stupid:
Glad you clarified. From your statement above, one would have thought it wasn't okay.

;)

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Snobike Mike said:
To the OP,

Relax, Honda's suck just as much (but often less) as pretty much every single other brand out there.

Cars are high wear mechanical monsters and as such things do break and problems do arise, especially when you build and sell hundreds of thousands of vehicles every year.

Enjoy your Ody.
Precisely. And as the vehicle ages, you are going to find more and more people complaining about the van. Any time people encounter problems with their 11 year old vehicle, they tend to wind up on sites like OC. It's a gathering place for people that like to bitch and moan about various problems. You don't find many people signing up here just to mention that their 11 year old vehicle with 144K miles is running flawlessly.....

If you find a Toyota club, you would think that every Sienna is destined to die a sludgey death.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry guys and thanks for answering my rant thread. It makes me feel a little calm. I'm new to the Ody world but has been around with other car clubs such as currently active member of e46fanatics, nsxprime, and hondacrv. I bought all these cars used and they don't have tranny or engine problem. I just keep up with all the regular maintenace and keep all the fluid fresh per maintenance service period. But I read some Ody has to replace tranny many times and people still buy them that is crazy in my opionion. In the main time I will try to enjoy it while the van is for sale.:(

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, this is clear: Toyota by a long shot IMHO, is the best mini van going right now.
We had a 2004 exl that, like so, so many others lost its tranny and with only 102k miles on it.
I then decided to do what others have ben telling me...." Get the Sienna" it is far more reliable."
Well, I am very happy with the Toyota.
Obviously, it will be some time before i see if what all the experts say is true, that the powertrain IS better on the Sienna.
It certainly has more balls so to speak.
But, Honda just didnt seem to master the Odyssey, to this day it by FAR, has more problems than it should and while im still a Honda fan....the Sienna is just plain better.
I'll still buy Honda in the future.....just not anothet Ody. And, untill the fix the whole new exterior design.....ALOT of people will be flocking to the new Sienna and Nissan.
I wont even comment on the Dodge/Chrysler minivans They are complete crap. Yes, id still take an Odyssey over them.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
MFLetou said:
So...wait...you just bought an 11 year old vehicle with 144,000 miles...and you state that it "drives great" with "no issues" and you are complaining why?I'm totally confused.

As much as I hate Honda....and my 45,000 mile o4 oddy sucks.....I would not expect a whole hell of a lot from any 11 yr old vehicle with 144K on the clock......Nor would I buy one

·
Registered
98 Posts
skjfire said:
Well, this is clear: Toyota by a long shot IMHO, is the best mini van going right now.
We had a 2004 exl that, like so, so many others lost its tranny and with only 102k miles on it.
I then decided to do what others have ben telling me...." Get the Sienna" it is far more reliable."
Well, I am very happy with the Toyota.
Obviously, it will be some time before i see if what all the experts say is true, that the powertrain IS better on the Sienna.
It certainly has more balls so to speak.
But, Honda just didnt seem to master the Odyssey, to this day it by FAR, has more problems than it should and while im still a Honda fan....the Sienna is just plain better.
I'll still buy Honda in the future.....just not anothet Ody. And, untill the fix the whole new exterior design.....ALOT of people will be flocking to the new Sienna and Nissan.
I wont even comment on the Dodge/Chrysler minivans They are complete crap. Yes, id still take an Odyssey over them.
Toyota has the best van going right now, which you are basing on a 7 year old vehicle. That makes a lot of sense.

So many people are flocking to the Sienna that Odyssey sales are up 40% and its outselling the Toyota without any fleet sales.

·
Registered
225 Posts
zzzz

wake me up when the above post is done with the dribble of a blind fan boy attitude.
I like Honda...I'll buy another in the future. However, The Sienna..IS a better minivan.
It just is. It has a better service record.
Might i buy an accord in the future...yep. Pilot? Maybe..But maybe I'll buy a Highlander.
But as for the problem riddled Ody, Nope. It is just subpar.

·
Registered
225 Posts
MFLetou said:
Toyota has the best van going right now, which you are basing on a 7 year old vehicle. That makes a lot of sense.

So many people are flocking to the Sienna that Odyssey sales are up 40% and its outselling the Toyota without any fleet sales.
I bought my Ody nearly new in 2005. And, yes the Sienna is a better van
period. There really isnt a comparison. I'll give the Ody a better interior....but thats about it...The outside of the new Ody is just plain ugly and there is STILL powertrain issues.
Im willing to bet by the end of 2011.....More Siennas will be sold. If not, i really dont care.
Im just telling my story of how i found the light...and bought a Sienna, like ALOT of former Ody owners....you dont see it go the other way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts