Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI:

Our van has around 1700 miles. We took one trip from SA to Blanco (around 80 miles round trip on 4 and 2 lane hilly state highway) and the rest of the tank in town.

cpu=19.3
hand calculated=19.8

Can't wait for our big road trip this summer. Love the van.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice! I was wondering how accurate the readout is. I'm guessing this is calculated from GPS co-ords and fuel tank sensor? According to the INFO display, we're averaging 22-23 mpg (predominately flat highway) and right-on 28 just crusing along.

·
Banned
727 Posts
It is difficult to calculate accurately by hand as you don't know if you are filling the tank to thee exact same point each time. in any event the two numbers are close enough. I'm getting about 19 mpg (Canadian) so far - city driving only (about 12.9L/100 km). We have 3,000 km on the van (1,800 miles).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Calculating by hand is very accurate. My dash is telling me I'm average about 17mpg but by hand with exact miles travelled and litres to fill up tank comes out to 16mpg. I'm getting horrendous gas mileage right now. Hopefully this improves considerably.

·
Banned
727 Posts
Calculating by hand is very accurate. My dash is telling me I'm average about 17mpg but by hand with exact miles travelled and litres to fill up tank comes out to 16mpg. I'm getting horrendous gas mileage right now. Hopefully this improves considerably.
If you are sure you are filling the tank to the same level each time it is accurate. If you aren't then it isn't. On my wife's Honda Accord, if I am patient, I can fill the tank until the gas is visible in the filler neck and sits in that position. I can then drive several hundred kilometers and then refill to the exact same level in the neck and do the calculation. If you can't see the gas level, how do you know you have added the same amount of fuel to determine the number of liters used since the last fill? You might be over or under filling several liters.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come one guys, I'm just posting what my mpg was both cpu and by hand. If we can get a few more do that, we can establish a reasonable mpg thread IF we can keep the commentary to a minimum. Please, please, please, let this just be a cpu vs hand calculated mpg thread and not let this thread get locked as well. I was planning to continue posting especially this summer when we go on a road trip to Boston from San Antonio.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just did a 1,000 mile road trip vacation, a lot of it highway... turned in 27.0 mpg, not bad, hand calculated.

·
Banned
727 Posts
Come one guys, I'm just posting what my mpg was both cpu and by hand. If we can get a few more do that, we can establish a reasonable mpg thread IF we can keep the commentary to a minimum. Please, please, please, let this just be a cpu vs hand calculated mpg thread and not let this thread get locked as well. I was planning to continue posting especially this summer when we go on a road trip to Boston from San Antonio.
I'm getting about 13.1 l/100km according to the computer in city driving . That works out to 17.95 mpg (US) and 21.6 mpg (Can). According to the US website that is what the vehicle is rated at for city driving. We have about 3,000 kms (1,800 miles) on the van and the mileage has improved in the last month, partly due to break in, but probably more to do with the warmer weather. I have a short commute (about 6 miles) and I've noticed that the better fuel economy associated with the VCM mode isn't available in cold weather as it takes a fair bit of time for the engine and transmission to warm up and the VCM doesn't kick in until both are warm. With the warmer weather, I've noticed the VCM operating after about 5 minutes of driving (as opposed to after 10 - 12 minutes of driving in the winter). At steady cruise at city speeds, you can see the difference in the instant fuel economy gauge in the MID (with VCM activated - i.e. ECO mode).

I don't think this van will meet it's rating in excessive stop and go city driving as you don't get the benefit of the VCM operation. My commute is a fairly steady 70 km/h (40 mp/h)all the way to work with about 10 - 12 stop and goes (lights or stop and go traffic). I try to hyper mile a bit by not racing to the next stop light and waiting for the slower traffic to catch up and the light to change to green :)

·
Banned
727 Posts
Just went through another tank 18.2 mpg U.S. 60% highway driving. ridiculous.
Do you know what you are getting in the city (city only driving)? Is it possible the VCM isn't working? You can test this (regardless of whether the light is working or not) by driving at a steady speed with the vehicle fully warmed up, watch the MID in the fuel economy display and watch for the drop in consumption once you get into top gear and the torque converter locks up. If the fuel economy gauge doesn't drop to 6 l/100 at about 60 km/h, there might be a problem. Id talk to your dealer about it. If you like I can test some different speeds with VCM engaged and disengaged to tell you what I am getting at a steady cruise.

You might also hit a steady cuise in the city at say, 60 km/h and reset the trip computer and watch to see what the computer says you are consuming, then compare it with my readings. as I have posted before, I make an effort to avoid having to come to a complete stop and I'm easy on the accelerator. I have about 300 km on the current tank (city only) and I'm averaging about 13.1 L/100. I think your van should be able to do the same with an easy driving style. If not, there is something wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Last fill I worked out our mileage by hand and compared it to the displayed info.

11.3 L/100km on paper,
11.8 L/100km on the van's computer.

I'd say with the light city driving we're doing, it's doing pretty well. We've got about 2800 kms on our EX-RES, and just got back from a 5 hour highway trip where we were getting about 7.9 L/100km on the computer (didn't work out the paper economy). We're going on a 1500 km trip this week and I'll be logging the mileage and comparing to see how it does and I'll report back.

·
Banned
727 Posts
Last fill I worked out our mileage by hand and compared it to the displayed info.

11.3 L/100km on paper,
11.8 L/100km on the van's computer.

I'd say with the light city driving we're doing, it's doing pretty well. We've got about 2800 kms on our EX-RES, and just got back from a 5 hour highway trip where we were getting about 7.9 L/100km on the computer (didn't work out the paper economy). We're going on a 1500 km trip this week and I'll be logging the mileage and comparing to see how it does and I'll report back.
Do you have results from purely city driving?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Two questions:

Van type?

What was shown on the cpu?
See my other post.. but it's a Touring Elite, I don't go by what the CPU shows, I hand calculate only. I do remember the 32mpg tank over 300+ miles showing only 29 on CPU, but yet the 22mpg tank showed 25mpg.. go figure? I notice this vehicle's CPU to be on of the worst I've used in a long time for what it says i'm getting to the gallon vs what I'm actually getting.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just went through another tank 18.2 mpg U.S. 60% highway driving. ridiculous.
Most likely driving style/traffic conditions... can't say for sure unless we were to drive with you. My friend with a 4 cylinder Acura gets less highway gas mileage than my Oddy does, but if you saw him drive, "Heavy foot" you'd know why.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here are my results for the last 2 months that I have had my 2011 Ody Touring. The hand written entries are from the on board Honda computer. The typed entries are from an Excel program. I hope you can read my chicken scratch. As you can see the the Honda CPU is any where from .2 MPG to 2.0 MPG higher or lower. Its not perfect but it gives you an idea of what your getting. As you can see all highway driving it is in the high 27's and around the Northwest burbs of Chicago it is a low of 17MPG to 20.5MPG. But all in all I am satisfied.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just calculated my current tank at 25 mpg, MID is telling me 23 mpg for the tank. (10% city/90% rural highway / backroads). This tank I drove every single day in rain !!

I think station pumps can be notoriously innaccurate. But any way you cut it, getting better mileage Gen4 > Gen 3 (21) and noticeably better range.

For some of you getting lower than expected mileage, some might need to use the real time display to help you with foot habits. This Ody will coach you into some mainstream hypermiling techniques very quickly.

I like how the Ody can interpret when I am going up the hill that my intention is to hold my current speed (without cruise control), and minimize the gas from there... you can really lay off the pedal a lot and hold your speed up that hill.

·
Banned
727 Posts
Just calculated my current tank at 25 mpg, MID is telling me 23 mpg for the tank. (10% city/90% rural highway / backroads). This tank I drove every single day in rain !!

I think station pumps can be notoriously innaccurate. But any way you cut it, getting better mileage Gen4 > Gen 3 (21) and noticeably better range.

For some of you getting lower than expected mileage, some might need to use the real time display to help you with foot habits. This Ody will coach you into some mainstream hypermiling techniques very quickly.

I like how the Ody can interpret when I am going up the hill that my intention is to hold my current speed (without cruise control), and minimize the gas from there... you can really lay off the pedal a lot and hold your speed up that hill.
I agree with using the real time display in the MID. It really opens your eyes as to what type of driving uses the most type of fuel. It is easy to see why electric assist hybrids do so well in the city; they reduce the fuel needed to move the car from a stop. the MID shows that no matter how light you are on the throttle, the display pegs itself to the maximum every time you accelerate from a stop or briskly from any speed.

To improve my fuel economy, I try to follow the speed limit as the lights in our city are synchronized (if you travel the speed limit, you can avoid hitting successive red lights) and I leave space between the car in front of me so I can lift off the gas to slow down, but avoid a stop, while waiting for the cars that have slowed down in front of me to pick up the pace again.

There has been allot of talk on this forum about the 6 speed and how it improves the 0 - 60 acceleration times by almost 3/4 of a second. While the 6 speed is better on fuel, those picking the models with that transmission will never see the fuel savings if their reason for getting it was to have quicker acceleration.

We settled with the 5 speed and my current tank (all City) over 400 km's (245 miles) is 12.9L/100 KM which is about 22 mpg (Can) and 18.2 mpg (US). With gas in the US averaging $5.00/gallon and 1.24/ Litre in Canada, I'm more interested in better fuel economy for my family mover than acceleration. Of course, I'd have driven the 6 speed the same way so I'd be enjoying the increase fuel economy of that model.

For those who are not meeting my fuel economy, I can tell you that it is possible.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts