Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't see any posts on this, so maybe it doesn't bother most people, but when I was in the market for our van I looked at several Odysseys with cracks on the side of the driver seat cushion. The van we bought happened to have this as one of the minor issues, but it turns out it was pretty easy to fix to "like-new".

The sides of the seats are actually vinyl, not leather, so they can be patched. The auto parts stores sell patch kits for under $20, and I know they work fine for smaller tears, but the crack in our seat cover was over 4 inches long with several "branches", and I was concerned a patch would eventually split open again. I also knew I could never make the patch totally invisible. So instead, I took the seat cover out and took it to an upholstery shop. They charged me $70 to replace the vinyl side panel (this shop actually replaced it with real leather that they had on hand), and the color is matched pretty well.

Taking the seat cover out took about an hour, and it would take only about 15 minutes to do again now that I know where all the fasteners are and what steps can be skipped or put off until after the cushion is out of the vehicle. Here's what you do:

1. Remove the right and left plastic trim panels (each are attached with 3 phillips screws). To get the left panel off, first gently pry off the power seat control buttons with a flat-blade screwdriver (don't worry about breaking them, but be careful not to leave ugly marks).
2. Remove two 14mm bolts on each side of the seat that hold the cushion onto the seat frame. The cushion foam is actually molded to an aluminum seat pan and the cover is stretched over and attached to that seat pan with hog rings. You don't have to undo the hog rings to get the cushion out of the vehicle.
3. Unplug the side airbag and seat heater harnesses, pop out a couple of Christmas tree connectors and a zip tie holding them on to the seat pan, and lift the seat pan out of the van.
4. Now you can remove the hog rings with pliers and get the seat cover off the foam. While my seat cover was at the shop, I drove the Ody around for a few days with the bare foam cushion just resting in the seat frame, not bolted--no problem.
5. You can have the shop re-glove the cover onto the foam for you, but it was extremely easy (and satisfying) to do it myself--took just a few minutes. I borrowed "hog ring pliers" and a few hog rings from the shop when I picked up my finished cover. You put a hog ring in the pliers then crimp it onto the seat cover and foam cushion frame simultaneously--sort of like crimping two wires together.
6. Assembling the seat cushion to the seat frame is the reverse of removal, and you'll have to use a scan tool to clear the airbag code that you generated if you turned on the ignition with the airbag disconnected.

Other than the one below, I didn't take any pictures of the process but hopefully the descriptions are clear enough. It's so simple that once you get into it you can figure it out yourself really. So if cracks in your seat cover are driving you nuts....go for it! It's a simple and inexpensive fix that is well worth the trouble! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just wanted to report that I used this procedure today when I was replacing my driver's seat (which had a broken spot weld on one of the bars underneath) w/ a working junkyard seat that had a disgusting seat cushion. So I was swapping cushions then putting the Frankenseat back in. Thanks a ton for this, autoengr. It worked perfectly but I'd just like to add for future searchers that you don't have to pop off the seat control knobs -- the trim will come off w/ the buttons still on. Also getting the one Xmas tree clip off was easier if you removed the front trim on the cushion w/ the four Phillips screws.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts