Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2020 Honda odyssey EX in November brand new. About a week ago the speakers started crackling and popping CONSTANTLY. I am so utterly frustrated. Has anyone had this issue? If so, did Honda fix it?
TIA.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I purchased my 2020 Honda odyssey EX in November brand new. About a week ago the speakers started crackling and popping CONSTANTLY. I am so utterly frustrated. Has anyone had this issue? If so, did Honda fix it?
TIA.
If they tell you it's normal, ask them to show you three other cars on their lot that behave the same way.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
TIA.
Have you taken your ODY in for any Service Recalls? They mail these to you when they come out. There is a Service Buletin ( A19030B Popping or Crackling from the Speakers Check the MOST Bus Network Popping or Crackling from the Speakers Check the MOST Bus Network.) Call the Service Department at your Honda Dealer and give this info and set up a time they can look into finding the problem for repair. It is a common problem and nothing you would have done caused this, just a bad factory quality work.
You might have to leave the car for a day with them. Good Luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
TIA.
I have a 2019 elite that has static or humming coming from the right rear pillar so I understand the annoyance. I had the dealer replace that speaker...which meant replacing the subwoofer as well as they are connected (according to the dealer). The source doesn't matter - AM/FM, Sirius, bluetooth streaming. I ended up just going into the sound settings and setting the sound to only the front speakers. Glad I leased the thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TIA.
We have the same problem with our 2019 Odyssey Elite. We've had it since November of 2018, and the problems have existed for most of the life of the car. Speakers crackling, DVD failure, radio freezing, inability to program radio presets, trouble with bluetooth phone connection. My service adviser and his head mechanic have been in the car with me when the car exhibited these issues, but they haven't been able to fix it. They've done software refreshes, and replaced the amplifier, among a host of other things that haven't fixed anything. To me, it sounds like a grounding issue, and I've asked them replace the whole head unit, though that hasn't happened yet.

There is a class action lawsuit that has been filed against Honda for this issue, relating to 2018+ Odysseys, Pilots and Passports. A quick search on youtube shows that there are videos relating to this issue as well. Our Odyssey is in the shop again today to try and correct this problem, though I don't have much hope that it will happen. If you've only owned it a week, you might be able to get them to take the car back. It's highly unlikely their service department is unaware of this issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
TIA.
I had the same issue with my 2020 EX. It started gradually. I thought something was popping in the dash. It got more consistent and obviously was electrical static. A quick Google search showed TSB 20-049.

I was hesitant getting it serviced given the complexity and how sensitive the car's electronics are. I didn't want something else to go wrong in the process. I asked my service advisor and he said they get several of these in any given day. It is a common issue. They had my car for half a day and now the noise is gone.

When you set the appointment up with the dealer, the key word is "FAKRA" connectors. They will know what to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2020 EX. It started gradually. I thought something was popping in the dash. It got more consistent and obviously was electrical static. A quick Google search showed TSB 20-049.

I was hesitant getting it serviced given the complexity and how sensitive the car's electronics are. I didn't want something else to go wrong in the process. I asked my service advisor and he said they get several of these in any given day. It is a common issue. They had my car for half a day and now the noise is gone.

When you set the appointment up with the dealer, the key word is "FAKRA" connectors. They will know what to do.
Just a further report on this ongoing problem. The van came back from service after fixing this FAKRA problem, and I can report that the crackling and popping seems to have stopped. We haven't been on a long car ride yet, so I don't know if the DVD player will stop working after an hour or so, but for now, there's no noise coming from the speakers.

On the downside, there seems to be a problem now with the bluetooth. Yesterday, when trying to make a phone call, the van would put the call through using bluetooth, but I couldn't hear my wife, and she couldn't hear me. Switching to the speaker option on the phone (iPhone 8) would only work for a second before the car would try to put the connection through to the car speakers, and then cut everything off. I'd actually rather deal with the popping noise than have this problem...I think the answer is perhaps a different car... such a pain.

Anyway, fixing the FAKRA connector fixed the popping noise. Good luck.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think these repeated, flubbed attempts qualify for lemon law coverage in most states. Would love to be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for all the replies. I dropped my vehicle off today to have the issue fixed; so here's to hoping they are able to fix it in one visit. I'm not yet sure what they are changing but when I dropped off today the girl did mention this to be something they are aware of.

When I had initially posted it was just the popping and crackling noises. It has since, on occasion, dropped my Bluetooth calls; the person is still on the line and my car is still showing the connection to the Bluetooth, but I will have to hang up and call again in order for the call to come over the speakers again. I have also noticed in certain areas where I live when I drive past, even if there is nothing on, I will hear either lots of static or strong popping - almost like interference. Crossing my fingers and hoping for a fix. This is the very first vehicle a purchased brand new and it is a little disheartening, but hopefully they fix the issues today and no other issues arise!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had this crackling issue - they replaced a harness of some nature and found a mis-routed cable that was causing the connector to be pulled. Side-note, the hands-free audio is junk in this van (2019 EX-L Navi/Res here), has been since day one and since it's a lease and I'm definitely not keeping it, I don't plan to stress about it... 19 months to go and Honda can have this van back along with its continuing-to-increase backlog of recalls. Not impressed with this one - mechanically it's great, but the AV system totally ruins it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check the TSB sticky threads, looks like a warranty extension was announced today for this issue to 5yr/60k miles. Might be related to someone mentioning a class action suit was forming/has been formed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the TSB sticky threads, looks like a warranty extension was announced today for this issue to 5yr/60k miles. Might be related to someone mentioning a class action suit was forming/has been formed.
Where can I find this thread?? Bought my car brand new in Feb 2019 (it’s a ‘19 E-XL+NavRes). It’s been in the shop for 12+ weeks total. Speaker popping issue (they fixed, fixed, then had to end up replacing the whole unit). It’s back in now for rear sliding door issue (inside panel came off, say I need to replace latch something other for ~$460). I REFUSE! I love my van, but super annoying with the quality of my $38k vehicle and the measly 36,000 warranty.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yeah, that longer warranty is an extra cost option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts