Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got a P0339 Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor circuit intermittent interruption error code on my 2013 van, which hesitated at startup. I bought a new sensor and had it replaced, thinking this would take care of the problem. However, the van still hesitates at startup. I have 96,000 miles on the van and I changed the spark plugs about 6 months ago, because I was having then cylinder misfires. The spark plug replacement took care of the misfires, but I am not sure if this job may have any influence on the CKP sensor. My battery has a good charge according to Auto Zone. I replaced the battery about 2 years ago and it is supposed to last for longer than that (we also don’t leave the lights on with a stopped motor, etc). However, when this troublesome startup problem started occurring and the van didn’t even start, I jumpstarted the battery and the van started up. Any ideas of what could be happening? Thank you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
After you replaced the crank sensor, did you run the crankshaft position re-learning procedure using a dealer level scan tool? I believe this is required to resync the sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t think the mechanic who replaced the sensor did it. I can ask.
Would resetting the car’s computer by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery cause the computer to go into recalibration of the CKP? Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don’t think the mechanic who replaced the sensor did it. I can ask.
Would resetting the car’s computer by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery cause the computer to go into recalibration of the CKP? Thanks.
No, I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure you have to manually run the re-learning procedure within the scan tool itself.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Where is the CSPS on the Honda motor?

·
Registered
13,396 Posts
On the 2013 I believe it's back by the transmission bell housing on the rear (right engine side) of the engine. There could be a couple of different things at work here. You may have VCM problems that are causing the plugs to foul. You need to disable VCM with a VCMTunerII or other Muzzling device. Once that's done, I'd do the CKP relearn as suggested above. It takes a special scan tool to do it, though.

If the problem persists, then I'd look at wiring between the sensor and the PCM. It could be anything in between (connector, wiring, PCM, etc.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Just wanted to let everyone know that the hesitation at startup was not caused by a bad CKP. My problem was due to a battery that was apparently ok, but was really not giving the expected amperage at startup. I got the P0339 CKP sensor code because of a failed startup attempt that probably made the computer 'think' there was a problem with the sensor. After I changed the battery for a good one (750 Cold Cranking Amps), everything is back to normal. Thanks all for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts