Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I really blew it today. I was trying to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt, from my 2001 Honda Odyssey, by using the camshaft bolt to keep the crankshaft pulley from moving. Unfortunately, the camshaft or the timing belt moved and the TDC marks no longer line up at either camshaft pulleys. When the crankshaft pulley is lined-up the camshaft pulleys are off about 70 degrees clockwise. Is this right and how to I correct this issue.

I did finally break the bolt loose using the starter and pulled the crankshaft pulley and the crankshaft sprocket timing marks are lined up but not the camshaft pulley marks. Make sense?

My whole purpose here is to get to the oil pump to see if it is clogged. I have been having the oil pressure light come on both flashing and solid red. I have removed the valve covers and they were very sludged over. I dropped the oil pan and cleaned the clogged screen, I have removed the oil filter housing and cleaned the secondary filter and still get the oil pressure light on. I have changed the oil 5 time and used Gunk engine flush three times, still get the oil pressure light.

I need some help, any suggestions?

Gantman

·
Registered
43 Posts
i would have checked the oil sending unit/sensor first, it could be clogged easily or unplugged,

your problem now is that you jumped the timing belt across the gears. you need to remove the crank pulley, TB covers and re-align the marks on the cam gears, with the arrow on the gears pointing up, and align the crank mark with the marks on the oil pump housing

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did replace the sending unit first thing. How do I go about re aligning the cam marks. Do I pull the belt and just rotate the cams to the marks?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, theres a tensioner pulley you need to loosen first, i believe its a 14mm bolt, the tensioner has a spring connected to it. leave the spring if you loosen the bolt enough you will get enough slack to remove the belt. also when you do get the mark aligned, rotate the crank enough to put tension on the belt and then tightned the tensioner bolt, then rotate the crank a couple rotation and make sure your marks line up, if the dont repeat the above, it may take a couple tries

·
Registered
539 Posts
The big question is now: do you have any bent valves? Once you get your cam timing reset properly, you should do a compression test. If you have bent valves, you might just be better off looking for a used engine that came out of a van with a dead transmission that somebody is parting out (probably 1/3 cost of getting the heads redone).

·
Registered
43 Posts
thats a possiblity, but i didnt see where he said he tried running it like this, he jumped the belt by holding the camshaft gear while trying to back out the crankshaft bolt.

The big question is now: do you have any bent valves? Once you get your cam timing reset properly, you should do a compression test. If you have bent valves, you might just be better off looking for a used engine that came out of a van with a dead transmission that somebody is parting out (probably 1/3 cost of getting the heads redone).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not run the engine. I pulled the belt today and reset the camshaft sprockets to TDC. I check the number 1 pistion was at the top by putting a screw driver into the spark plug opening and felt the piston was at the top.

I also pulled the TB tensioner, idle pulleys, water pump bolts and the oil pump bolts. I need to drop the oil pan to get the oil pump out. Any techniques to pulling the water pump and oil pump housing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
you need to take the belt tensioner off, there is one bolt behind that belt tensioner so you can pull the oil pump out. Also, you need to take the filter housing. I just have this done yesterday because my oil pump seal is leaking. good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Balot64, Thanks for the tip, I have not taken the drive belt tensioner off at this point. Did/were you getting an oil pressure light? How did the pump look?

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, I dont have oil pressure light, I took the oil pump off because it was start leaking from the oil pump seal and i never mess with the oil pump, i just replaced the seal and put it back. I though the leak is coming from crankshaft seal. You dont need to take the water pump off unless you are replacing it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Balot64,

How did you get the belt tensioner off? I have removed the two bolts (top and bottom) but it does not budge. What am I missing? Where in Jacks are you? I am at the beach.

·
Registered
26 Posts
there is a bolt in the middle of the tensioner, I think size 8 MM, you have to take this off before you can get the tensioner out, I'm at Pulaski, north side near airport

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got everything pulled...i.e, water pump, oil pan, oil screen, oil pan shield, and the oil pump. A lot of sludge everywhere, very disheartening, had just changed the oil less than two thousand miles into the oil pressure light appearance.

Ordered a new oil pump, oil screen, water pump, timing belt, drive belt, PS belt and a new right engine mount. The engine mount that had to be removed was shot, whats another cow when you bought the farm already....

Anyone got any ideas about cleaning the oil passages before I start to button it up. I fear that unless all the passages are cleaned my minor overall will be for nothing.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Goto to the bobistheoilguy forums and select the passenger motor oil forum. There is currently a topic on later model sludged up Odyssey and the procedure involved in cleaning it.

Can you tell the history of this vehicle? Very few Odyssey are having sludge problems.

- Vikas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts