Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Don't know, but I think car manufacturers should have to submit new models for crash testing before they bring them to market.

After you've bought a van, if you find out it is a poor crash performer, it is kind of expensive to go buy the "other" van that may have scored better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It isn't the manufacturer's fault--its the government's. To this point very few vehicles have been tested with the 2011 standards. Its going to take quite a while to get there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are front and side nhtsa videos on youtube...no ratings yet though.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Shazzam said:
Don't know, but I think car manufacturers should have to submit new models for crash testing before they bring them to market.

After you've bought a van, if you find out it is a poor crash performer, it is kind of expensive to go buy the "other" van that may have scored better.
If my memory is working today, agencies' crash test prioritization is based on 2 things (among others of course): a) model crash test history (nationally) and b) model crash test results globally (if the model is also sold in other countries i.e. the Civic sedan)

a) Agencies' tests for the 2nd to 3rd gen Odysseys are good I believe, so we should be OK

b) It does not count in this case (except for the 1st gen Odyssey perhaps and the fact that the Odyssey also sells in Mexico and Canada), but if the models faired well in tests like the Euro NCAP and/or the Japan NCAP it is more likely that they will do OK here, so they go to the bottom of the waiting list.

Now, that does not mean that they are the same tests and that a critical flaw will not be found in a new model, but it is less likely to :stupid:. My other car is a global model and it took 3+ years to be tested here, yet it did very well in the Euro and Japanese tests earlier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts