Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a 98 lx with a bad tranny and these things seem to be expensive for 98s, if i sourced a 95-97 tranny could i swap over the electronics to make it work? Is that the only difference? Does anyone know? Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
947 Posts
The trannies are different. Do a search on here as it has been discussed.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I know the 95's have a transmission control module (TCM) or shift control module that is separate from the ECM. 97's have them both as part of the ECM and I'm not sure about the 96's. You may want to try an accord with the 2.3L engine instead. Any reason you prefer the earlier model?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason i am considering a tranny from a 95-97 is because i can get one off ebay for $500 shipped, whereas here in the Portland-Metro Area the transmissions i have found are usually around 900-1000, i imagine i could find one on craigslist eventually for cheap, however i don't know how long that will take so i want to have my options open. My idea was to swap over whatever solenoids, sensors, computers, etc from the crappy 98 to a 95-97, i could be wrong, but i thought mechanically they were the same. I was just curious if the experienced and wise folks on this message board had any ideas, i love my van and want to get it back on the road again! Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, it sounds like the 98-02 auto trannies will swap, i've also heard something about CL 98-99 and prelude 97-01 trannies as well, i've been looking but no luck as of yet...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Severity said:
Also, it sounds like the 98-02 auto trannies will swap
I really doubt that's true, but even if it was, you DEFINITELY don't want a '99-'02 tranny. They were terribly flawed, and any used one you find is probably already crap. They can hardly give them away on Craigslist around here.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Severity said:
Also, it sounds like the 98-02 auto trannies will swap, i've also heard something about CL 98-99 and prelude 97-01 trannies as well, i've been looking but no luck as of yet...
That might be true but only of the Honda/Acura 4 cylinder engines of those time periods. Overboostin would be the best one to answer this.

·
Registered
725 Posts
98+ accord and cl 4cyl will work in the 98 odyssey
97-00 preludes will work also but you will need to rewire the speed sensor, accords and odysseys use a counter shaft speed counter ,witch the prelude get s it off a counter on the diff like the 97down odysseys.

any thing below 98 will not work in the 98 only , it will bolt up and fit but will not shift. compleatly diffrent controls on it ..

·
Registered
947 Posts
overboostin said:
98+ accord and cl 4cyl will work in the 98 odyssey
97-00 preludes will work also but you will need to rewire the speed sensor, accords and odysseys use a counter shaft speed counter ,witch the prelude get s it off a counter on the diff like the 97down odysseys.

any thing below 98 will not work in the 98 only , it will bolt up and fit but will not shift. compleatly diffrent controls on it ..
Great! This needs to be a Sticky!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent, thank you for the information, its good to know definitively, now i won't waste my time with something that won't work, now, if i could find a wrecked 98 accord maybe i could do a manual swap or something, thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts