Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you folks fire back - I did attempt to search this and I DID go through the sticky noobie posts to find this info with little luck. I am now the owner of an '07 EXL Nav Res and I am very very happy with the vehicle. I am in need of some crossbars for the van, and I would like cheap and effective. Im hanging one of those Sears top-cap luggage jammies on the van for a trip in about 10 days. It only occurred to me yesterday that the Ody did not include these (darn). I would like to avoid going through Honda if possible, and again this is for one or two trips. We dont caravan cross-country much so im not looking for anytjhing crazy. If any of you could suggest sppecifics that would be fantastic. My second option would be to ditch the top thing and get a bike rack that hangs off the rear hatch so I will entertain those suggestions as well. Unfortunately im between jobs/careers at the moment so I am trying to keep this low-budget (or as low as I can). I do thank you all in advance. This is a wonderful resource of information on the Honda Odyssey. I also own a '94 Acura Legend, as well as a '98 Accord EX which are both still alive and kicking. Thanks again in advance.

Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately the first THREE links are detailing the SAME thing, same ebay seller who has been banned/removed from eBay. The fourth response details installing crossbars (not purchasing). I read therough the DIY crossbar thread, but I am not sure I am capable of that. Any other ideas. Thanks again.

Jeremy

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know some guys here have ordered from College Hills Honda. Pretty good prices on the cross bars, I think around $150 or so for the genuine Honda part. Also check out www.handa-accessories.com (yes handa). Just checked then out and I think they have a special on the roof rails. Do another search and you'll see that it takes a bit of muscle to install them yourself....

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I just bought the OEM cross bars last week. Best price (including shipping) was from HandA. It looked like the ebay seller with "OEM like" bars was non-existant when I was looking last week, so I went with the chepaest OEM I could find. HandA had them for $142.43 plus shipping.

Check out the FS section here also....VanMan09 is selling a used set of cross bars for $70 (although he is looking for local pickup). Of course he posted this ad right after I ordered mine from HandA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been in the market for cross bars also. I'm considering the Sears Xcargo20 (Thule made). I found that you need to get crossbars that are adjustable. From what the Honda Serviceman told me and glancing at the installation instructions (please correct me if I'm wrong) the OEM are fixed. This can become a bigger headache, as you need to line up the bars with the pre-drilled holes on your cargo box for an ideal install.
The Sears crossbars are a little bigger, appear stronger (even though 150lb is the recommended limit) and are on sale for $200.
I think the OEM's look a bit cleaner and less obtrusive.
Comments please?

·
Registered
221 Posts
@jeremynj - if you have the time you may want to order the OEM bars from an online retailer like HandA.

Also, you might get lucky and find a set of used OEM crossbars or thule/yakima for sale.

i happen to have the OEM and thule bars for our van.

@stach - the OEM bars have little dots on the track where you are supposed to align the bars. i moved my OEM bars forward and backward about 1.5" to give me the widest distance i could get because i mounted my roof basket with an extension and wanted the best support.

@everyone... i prefer the thule bars that i bought used but it raises my basket up about 2" over OEM bars and is too high.

here's a pick of the van, OEM bars and coleman roof basket with extension.

here's how the basket mounts to the OEM rails.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
stach said:
I have been in the market for cross bars also. I'm considering the Sears Xcargo20 (Thule made). I found that you need to get crossbars that are adjustable. From what the Honda Serviceman told me and glancing at the installation instructions (please correct me if I'm wrong) the OEM are fixed. This can become a bigger headache, as you need to line up the bars with the pre-drilled holes on your cargo box for an ideal install.
The Sears crossbars are a little bigger, appear stronger (even though 150lb is the recommended limit) and are on sale for $200.
I think the OEM's look a bit cleaner and less obtrusive.
Comments please?
I have the Sears Xcargo Sport 20 model. The bars are fixed, but as JAvendan said, there is a bit of adjustment. However, the part about "pre-drilled holes" might be incorrect, depending on which model of cartop carrier you end up with. My Xcargo Sport 20 had about 5-6 sets of holes to adjust how you mount the carrier, so it can be adjusted to meet the location of the "fixed" crossbars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts