Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the OEM Crossbars from HandA accessories. In the meantime, I'm looking for a soft sided cargo bag for camping. I've found one that I like, but it needs a minimum of 38 inches of space between the cross bars to mount properly (as well as 38 inches between the luggage racks as well). Anyone know what the spacing is between the crossbars and whether I should go for this one, or do some more research. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The center to center spacing on the OEM crossbars is 32". There is not much more adjustment outwards to make the spacing wider. The Honda crossbars are bit weird, one is longer than the other one so there is not much adjustment to make the spacing narrower either. Bottom line is the roof rails are not parallel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i believe i was able to fudge the front bar forward approx. 1" and the rear bar approx. 1" further back... but that was it.

joel

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You can get a little more adjustment if you take the crossbars off and loosen the 2 allenhead screws on each end and adjust the length to where you want the bars located. But, I would be careful on where you put them on the rails. Honda made them to be non-adjustable for a reason and where they are located on the rails is probably where the maximum load is.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Another options is not to buy the soft bag but get a Thule, Yakima or Sears box. The box itself can be adjusted to the crossbars.

Just my .03

Good Luck

Pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts