Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 EX-L with 172,000 has just suffered a major failure in the cruise control system. Both the actuator and the control units BOTH became inoperative at the SAME time. This was the test result from the Honda Dealer. Has anyone on the forum encountered this type of problem ?? If so, whats the solution ? Are these units easy enough to access that I might save the hour and a half labor charge at the dealer if I were to attempt the replacement myself ?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
First you need to post the symptoms that you are seeing. The cruise control is made up of several components not just one thing you can replace. The first thing to check is the dash indications and the brake pedal switch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please re-read my original post. This is the test result from the Honda dealer. Symptoms, cruise control light no on when dash switch is engaged. Cruise is inoperative at highway. Or any speed when pressing steering wheel mounted switch. No indicator light on the instrument panel. All switches test ok. Honda test indicate that both the actuator and control units are unresponsive. Thanks for your interest in my problem.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
BS. No way these two parts failed at the same time. Check related fuses, brake pedal switch first.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
After checking the brake switch, does the horn work - if not then a problem in the steering column - cable reel. Check that CC switch in the dash too.

Do you have any after-market LED bulbs in the rear brake lights per chance? http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/A080300.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The horn works. No aftermarket lights. Guess I will get a VOM and start tracing and testing. Does anyone know where the actuator and control units are physically located on the 2002 model ??

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
So the dealer is the ultimate engineer on the problem. All the dealer mechanics do is replace parts and really do no deep diagnosis. If the light on the dash does not come on (and the bulb is not burned out) then the controler won't work as no power is getting to it. Check fuse 6 on the drivers panel. Check voltage on both sides of the dash switch. Check for voltage on pin4 and 13 of the cruise control unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I will test as requested. Can you advise me on the physical location of the actuator and control units.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
See the attached diagram for locations of components. If you want the 12 pages of truobleshooting, send me a PM with an email address.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,076 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi New Dad - If possible, could you send me the 12 pages of cruise control troubleshooting? My email address is [email protected]

Thanks!
HI, may I ask the same? [email protected] .
My issue is this:

I set the cruise control to ON, the light on the dash stays on but the car will not "lock into" a speed (pedal does not firm and hold) and after about 5 seconds the light turns off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
See the attached diagram for locations of components. If you want the 12 pages of truobleshooting, send me a PM with an email address.

Used your schematic to troubleshoot my system, thanks.

Problem turned out to be an intermittent brake switch. :D Much better that a reel or module replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts