Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2004 Honda Odyssey EX with iVES with 113,000 miles on it. It is in nice condition, and I'm really enjoying it. However, there are a few small things that needed fixing.

The foam flaps or tabs in the cup holders of the table between the front seats have been damaged by the Arizona sun over time, and have become curled up and cracked:

I searched this forum and found this thread. I was inspired by MJ2004's idea to use a mouse pad to replace the tabs/flaps and decided to give it a try.

So, following the directions on the above thread, I disassembled the center table. I went to Target and picked up this mousepad for $3.

I cut the mousepad in half, and superglued the smooth nylon sides to each other, to add thickness. They turned out just a little bit thicker than the original OEM flaps, but have a lot more grip. My wife was less than thrilled I did this on her granite counter top.

Then, using the old damaged flaps as a template, I cut out 8 new flaps. I originally tried using an Xacto knife for the cutting, but scissors turning out to be easier to use on this material.

As you can see, I gradually got better at cutting out the flaps with practice.
Next, again using the old flaps as a template I drilled holes in my new flaps with a small drill bit so they would go back on the little plastic barbs in the cup holder assembly.

And here you see the tabs installed.

I bought two more $3 mousepads at target, so I could do this again in the future if needed. My wife had been complaining that her cell phone slides around on the table. So I cut a few millimeters off the edge of the two mousepads. Then I set one cloth side down in the tray, and the second one on top, also cloth side down. They fit perfect, and didn't move at all. The rubber surface is very cushy and prevents items from sliding at all now! She loves it.

As a bonus, if I get tired of the grippy rubber surface, I can flip the mouse pad over and have either a perfectly matched cushioned cloth surface, or a black mousepad surface.

And here is the finished product, installed:

The flaps have a lot more grip than the original faps, and are slightly larger in size over the originals. 32oz and larger cups fit great. For smaller drinks under 20oz, we just use the in-dash cup holders.

Let me know what you think! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did this last week on my 2003 Odyssey. Very simple, easy to DIY.
They work fine for the 32 oz. cups, but I need to figure out an insert-solution for smaller cups and 12oz cans.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Smart idea.
I hated how the back of the tray kept getting pushed back in when it got bumped by the kids climbing in and out. The solution? I found some heater hose in the garage and cut it to wedge the two halves apart. I can take some pics if that does not make sense. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for these instructions. I combined your instructions with the ones I found here: 2004 Honda Odyssey Cupholder Tray Mod. It only took me about two hours to create awesome cupholder tabs. I did have a few problems gluing two mousepads together (neither tacky nor super glue worked), so I ended up quickly hand stitching each one together. They should hold up better this way too. Thanks again for making this so easy - and cheap. I spent $9 total.

CAM01075.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts