Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Curious about any type of OEM brake upgrade

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Jeffksf 
#1 ·
I've always been a fan of big brakes, and I'm curious about whether anyone has tried upgrading the brakes using OEM parts from Honda or another maker. As an example of this, I upgraded the front brakes on my A4 using rotors from the A8, caliper carriers from the TT, ceramic pads, and the factory A4 calipers. These rotors are an inch larger diameter at 12.3", and are drilled and slotted. It's a very noticeable difference for about $440 for everything.

Have any of you looked into such an upgrade for the Odyssey? It's more expensive than using stock-sized upgraded rotors but in the case of the Audi it was definitely worth it, and FAR less money than a wholly-unnecessary StopTech system. On something as heavy as the Ody, it'd definitely be worth it. Anyone out there have any ideas on this?

#2 ·
I have an '06 EX-L. I had good results switching from OEM to aftermarket (I believe the brand is Mountain) rotors and pads; they appear to be steel (not sure about the OEM). Both the original front rotors and first replacements (also Honda) did not seem to last long (as little as a few months) before they started warping. With these, so far so good.

I seriously considered doing this. My concern (at least with the 16" rims) is that getting bigger rotors might have meant getting larger rims and lower-profile tires (things are tight in there) - way more money than I wanted to spend. Alternatively, drilled and slotted rotors tend to squeak and crack. My current set-up (esp. now with the new Falkens) works great for me.

#3 ·
That may work well with your VW since the A4 is the smallest (ok the TT is...) in the lineup, so there are larger vehicles to steal parts from

But remember, the Odyssey is the largest (or nearly so) Honda you can buy. What larger Honda is there to get brakes from?

#5 ·
I wasn't sure whether the MDX or possibly the Pilot or even the newer Ofyssey used a larger setup that someone might have adapted for use.

#6 ·
#8 ·
On 3rd generation of Ody ownership, and brakes have been an- er um, shakey point on all of them. A brake upgrade on the 2006 was worth every dime. Can't go wrong, anything will improve it... I wouldn't overkill on it, it's still a van, but nice midgrades worth the dime. Waiting for my 2011s to wear down and upgrade all 4 corners as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.