Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon my ignorance, but my 3 week old 02 Ody is the first vehicle I've owned with a digital odometer. I'm curious as to how it securely stores the mileage. Obviously it has to hold the numbers even if the battery goes dead or is replaced. Are the numbers stored in a memory chip, or is there a mechanical device that is read and merely displayed by the digital readout?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Riley33:
Pardon my ignorance, but my 3 week old 02 Ody is the first vehicle I've owned with a digital odometer. I'm curious as to how it securely stores the mileage. Obviously it has to hold the numbers even if the battery goes dead or is replaced. Are the numbers stored in a memory chip, or is there a mechanical device that is read and merely displayed by the digital readout?

</font>
Hi Riley33,

I don't know if this is the case or not but one idea that comes to mind is an EPROM (electronically programmable read only memory) chip. It can be updated as the car moves down the road but is not power dependent otherwise.

Just a thought,

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts