Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

So I started getting a grinding noise when the wheels are turned sharp left or right, when accelerating from a stop.

It is definitely on the driver's side of the front by the engine and trans.

My first thought is drivers side axle or cv shaft.

Has anyone used GSP cv shafts from RockAuto?
Not too keen on going back to OEM given it did not last to 145k kms.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grinding doesn't sound like an axle issue...

did you check the inner cv joint that goes into the diff for excessive play or if its throwing grease?
I'll be checking for play this week.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Look for "torn" CV boots. Check if the rubber boot, is leaking/throwing grease.
Most mechanics say, "clicking/clacking" noise, when it's really bad.
Now days, no one removes rubber boot/repack. Faster/cheaper ? to replace entire unit.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The grinding noise only happens when the wheels are turned sharp left or right and I accelerate from a stop.

Just wondering if drivers side cv shafts are a common item to replace?

Thanks yall

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Check your rotors/dust shields for rust buildup.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The noise only happens when I use more moderate throttle....no noise during light take off.

Kind of sounds like engaging a starter with the engine running....like teeth grinding.

Nothing on the dust shields....

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Seven Canadian winters and no rust? I believe in miracles, but think God reserves them for more important things then car parts.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
without proper rust protection on the undercarriage, the backing plates rot.

Hyundai's are terrible for it, neighbours 7-8 year old accent, the front ones are rotted through at the bottom.
One bit me when inspecting for a similar noise she was complaining about after the tire guys installed her winter tires.

is it possible your rotors have some rust jacking? as Ted mentioned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone

So I started getting a grinding noise when the wheels are turned sharp left or right, when accelerating from a stop.

It is definitely on the driver's side of the front by the engine and trans.

My first thought is drivers side axle or cv shaft.

Has anyone used GSP cv shafts from RockAuto?
Not too keen on going back to OEM given it did not last to 145k kms.

Thanks for your input.
Diagnose before you spend $$!.
Before you begin make sure tire pressure is at spec and lug nuts are secure.
First, does the noise occur only once when accelerating from a stop? If it continues when driving in a tight circle and has a clunk-clunk sound to it, it's likely to be the drive shaft and/or the the CV joint that is part of the drive shaft. If that's true, disregard the following. Otherwise:
Look for uneven brake pad wear caused by sticky or rusted caliper slides. That's easy to fix, so check that first and lube or replace if needed.
Sadly, another choice is excessive play in the wheel bearing caused by unusual wear. I don't know the spec but if you have a dial gauge you can compare side play between the right and left brake rotors. If it's bad enough, you may be able to hear a noise when you spin the wheel--jack up the car, use a mechanic's stethoscope on the nearest stationary point and compare right vs. left wheels.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seven Canadian winters and no rust? I believe in miracles, but think God reserves them for more important things then car parts.
I never said no rust.....just not impeding rotor movement.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
without proper rust protection on the undercarriage, the backing plates rot.

Hyundai's are terrible for it, neighbours 7-8 year old accent, the front ones are rotted through at the bottom.
One bit me when inspecting for a similar noise she was complaining about after the tire guys installed her winter tires.

is it possible your rotors have some rust jacking? as Ted mentioned.
So far no observable rust even close to the rotor.
The van was rust treated since it was new. It's quite obvious.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Diagnose before you spend $$!.
Before you begin make sure tire pressure is at spec and lug nuts are secure.
First, does the noise occur only once when accelerating from a stop? If it continues when driving in a tight circle and has a clunk-clunk sound to it, it's likely to be the drive shaft and/or the the CV joint that is part of the drive shaft. If that's true, disregard the following. Otherwise:
Look for uneven brake pad wear caused by sticky or rusted caliper slides. That's easy to fix, so check that first and lube or replace if needed.
Sadly, another choice is excessive play in the wheel bearing caused by unusual wear. I don't know the spec but if you have a dial gauge you can compare side play between the right and left brake rotors. If it's bad enough, you may be able to hear a noise when you spin the wheel--jack up the car, use a mechanic's stethoscope on the nearest stationary point and compare right vs. left wheels.
Thanks.
It's only when accelerating, when the wheels are turned for a 90 degree turn. Goes away when straight.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Is this noise only occurring on icy, snow covered roads?

Could just be traction control / ABS flipping out.

One of our vehicles screams during sliding while braking on snow / ice if one wheel locks up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I needed a driver's CV axle for my 2010 LX - it had clearly gone bad after hitting road debris.
I got it from Advance Auto. It went bad maybe 1 year later, but because it had a lifetime warranty I swapped it out for free and have had no issues with the new part. I did, however, have to find my old receipt because the store could not find proof of my purchase. Lucky for me I scan auto receipts for anything with warranties, so I printed it out and showed it to them, at which point they then found me in the system. I think the part was Carquest, but not sure.
Good luck solving the issue

1 - 20 of 53 Posts