Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
trakmotive are lifetime replacement (not the boot), and available on rockauto.com

been mostly hit with them for me.
Thanks
That was another option I was considering.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I needed a driver's CV axle for my 2010 LX - it had clearly gone bad after hitting road debris.
I got it from Advance Auto. It went bad maybe 1 year later, but because it had a lifetime warranty I swapped it out for free and have had no issues with the new part. I did, however, have to find my old receipt because the store could not find proof of my purchase. Lucky for me I scan auto receipts for anything with warranties, so I printed it out and showed it to them, at which point they then found me in the system. I think the part was Carquest, but not sure.
Good luck solving the issue
What manufacturer was it for the cv?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nearly every non OEM axle seems to have issues. I’d go OEM if They really are bad. Torn boots will be precursor for grinding. Most of the time they just wear and vibrate. Grinding is unusual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nearly every non OEM axle seems to have issues. I’d go OEM if They really are bad. Torn boots will be precursor for grinding. Most of the time they just wear and vibrate. Grinding is unusual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OEM in my area is $490 plus tax........WTF??????????????????????????????
I thought I bought a Honda not another Audi?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for all the feedback and advice everyone -
Take care

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The OEM in my area is $490 plus tax........WTF??????????????????????????????
I thought I bought a Honda not another Audi?
I barely got 60k miles out of my Honda stock axles.

lots of others here reporting the same issue, premature failure in the form of noises or vibrations.

that's not what I would call a good quality long lasting part, and would not recommend them as replacements.

maybe the gen 3 ody Honda originals were better quality, but clearly the supplier for the gen 4 axles are not as good.

as mentioned above, just be sure youre not changing a perfectly good part on the van before moving forward.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
parts source (canadian tire) sells mevotech...

rockauto is slightly cheaper even with shipping and duty, but returns / warranty are slightly more hassle compared to local.
Thanks - - - I love RA - - except when I need to return something, even a damaged item has been a hassle.
Thanks for the tip- I did not know mevotech made cv's.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The grinding noise only happens when the wheels are turned sharp left or right and I accelerate from a stop.

Just wondering if drivers side cv shafts are a common item to replace?

Thanks yall
I had to do mine at about 80k miles. Torn boots were the culprit. The drivers side is relatively easy to replace. The passenger side is very difficult because getting the center bearing out of the carrier is super difficult.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2001 Odyssey if I take a sharp turn it goes thump thump thump the whole corner been like that for over 2 yrs now lol at 290k I aint fixing it yet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Grinding on a cv not to sure on that, but maybe a wheel bearing or possibly tie rod rubbing on rim 🤔 not to to sure. You can check wheel bearing by jacking vehicle up, grab tire at top and bottom and see if there is movement inward/outward, there should be none. The tie rod you can check by inspecting the in side edge of the rim. That's my 2 best guesses off the top of my head with the info provided.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
never answered the question on if the winters are after market rims and what specs they are.
Winters on oem rims.
It's not rubbing...it's grinding.
The speed of the noise s way to fast for any rubbing, given the van is barely moving when the noise happens. Sounds like a grinding starter on flywheel.
Only when wheels are turned sharp....louder on sharp right turns vs left.
Drivers side inboard cv area.
I checked the wheel bearings, everything is tight.
I recently changed the right side engine mount. Going to recheck the engine level today and see what I find.
Otherwise it's trip to a garage to see what they find.

Thanks guys/gals.
I'll report back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2001 Odyssey if I take a sharp turn it goes thump thump thump the whole corner been like that for over 2 yrs now lol at 290k I aint fixing it yet
pretty sure that's CV joints, lol.

Grinding on a cv not to sure on that, but maybe a wheel bearing or possibly tie rod rubbing on rim 🤔 not to to sure. You can check wheel bearing by jacking vehicle up, grab tire at top and bottom and see if there is movement inward/outward, there should be none. The tie rod you can check by inspecting the in side edge of the rim. That's my 2 best guesses off the top of my head with the info provided.
a bad wheel bearing should exhibit sound during straight driving as well, and increase in volume with speed. tie rods are a prime suspect, and following the procedure you laid out should either eliminate it or confirm it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ok, so tonight I went for a drive, on dry pavement no grinding noise on sharp turns.
On snow covered roads, grinding on the driver's side wheel, when turning right.
So....is this noise related to the traction control?
If so, it's the strangest traction control sound I have ever heard, in over 20 cars.
Snow belt drivers........turn your tires please and accelerate from a stop. Do you hear a grinding noise on take off?
Thanks for all your help everyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, so tonight I went for a drive, on dry pavement no grinding noise on sharp turns.
On snow covered roads, grinding on the driver's side wheel, when turning right.
So....is this noise related to the traction control?
If so, it's the strangest traction control sound I have ever heard, in over 20 cars.
Snow belt drivers........turn your tires please and accelerate from a stop. Do you hear a grinding noise on take off?
Thanks for all your help everyone.
if it is your traction control causing the noise, you should see the light show up on your dash while you hear the noise. every time the traction control engages, the light will also illuminate on the dash.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts